Pleasant relief - Fuel Prices to drop 10c a litre!!
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Icon6 Pleasant relief - Fuel Prices to drop 10c a litre!!

I consider myself pretty lucky.

On my way back to Melbourne I decided to give the Laguna a taste of 98 RON as it had been running on mostly 91 RON.

I paid less per litre (147 cents) in the country for 98 RON than Melbourne motorists were paying for 91RON, (152.9 cents a litre) don't know what impulse made me buy in the country, but it was a damn right decision!!

Now I see in the paper that economists say that falling world oil costs should soon lead to a drop in the Australian bowser price.

Melbournians were paying up to 152.9 cents a litre for unleaded (ULP) yesterday afternoon, and for an average of 147.5c. A Commsec report says a recent slide in the global oil prices means drivers should be saving 8 to 10 cents a litre over the next fortnight or so. Commsec economist Savanth Sebastian said the shift would save motorists at least $7 each time they filled a tank. Global oil prices have slumped in the past week with Singapore unleaded price falling by the biggest weekly margin since September 2009 and as a result motorists are in for some massive savings at the pump. Commsec said last week the key Singapore price fell by $US 16 dollars 30 $16.30 (11.8 percent)
    Well that's fine as if the weekly (weakly?) discount cycle drops on Tuesday by its usual 15 cents or more, then in one more cycle we should be back to a half decent fuel pricing after the sustained period that extended over the mothers day week-end when many visited their mothers for mothers day.

So thats good news and it seems I also had a win of sorts by buying a set top box a few months back on sale at Aldi's for under $40 as the Echuca Region dropped off the planet for Analog TV reception - my Neighbour and I installed the box easily and this saved a perfectly good Analog TV set. I didn't think it was a saving till I read that it costs $405 for the government supplied set top boxes, so I suppose I have lucked in with fuel and the TV and saved heaps on the government price.

Two wins in a few days...Phew.!! Well I suppose the proof will be in the delivery of the fuel cuts, they should of course come into effect immediately like the almost universal instant fuel rises at the first hint of an international price rise - but lets wait and see. Good news travels fast, lets see if price falls are just as fast...

Ken

Advertisement

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

I know the feeling, decided to fill up last Thursday after the boys training at Caltex for $1:36.5 and all other places were $1:55.9 . Got home and then took he wifes Pajero and put 78lts in that.
    What happened to Friday being the cheap petrol day, it looks like it's gone back to Thursday.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

And I used to be able to fill the R4 up when it was dead empty for less than $3.00. Why isn't fuel nationalised or at least state-run? Like power, water, energy, sewage, freeways and the Commonwealth Bank used to be?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    And I used to be able to fill the R4 up when it was dead empty for less than $3.00. Why isn't fuel nationalised or at least state-run? Like power, water, energy, sewage, freeways and the Commonwealth Bank used to be?
    Probably because no one wanted Communism. The state politicians either don't want to run anything or can't run anything, so they privatised all those things long ago so someone else would get the blame for prices going up.

Anyhow, petrol is a finite resource. If it is too cheap there is no reason for people to trade in the Hummer or Ford F250 or the large SUV for an economical alternative.

I remember when I lived in South Africa in 1975/6 when someone broke into my car and stole the petrol. It used to cost the equivalent of 10c a litre. They stole about $3 worth and broke the cable to the fuel flap, which cost $20 to fix.

Yep, things were cheaper then, which was good because they paid you less.

John

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.

Sir Winston Churchill, Hansard, 1947

Maybe we should have another go?....... ;-)
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

1000+ Posts

Default Motorist expectations....?

remembering that this is a publicly viewable thread - not the T Pond.

I guess we will see (a) if the fuel cycle changes - (b) if there is one or two drops in the fuel price in the next fortnight or (c) They will conveniently absorb any decent effect due so that the motorist gets?.......??

Your guess is as good as mine!!

Don't expect the governments to do anything!!

(unless they have something embarrassing to hide and we might get some tub thumping)

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    I consider myself pretty lucky.

On my way back to Melbourne I decided to give the Laguna a taste of 98 RON as it had been running on mostly 91 RON.
    Ken,
    I'd be interested to know if you find you get better mileage out of 98 ron over 91 that is sufficient to cover the cost difference.

I calculate I break even dollar-wise in my Megane hatch and get smoother running as a virtually free bonus.

Geoff
    There is a solution to every problem. There is a problem with every solution.
    • Renault R4L '63 - Descartes
    • Renault R4L '64 - Lucy
    • Renault Megane '07 - too young to have a name...

1000+ Posts

Geoff

Can't say I have really noticed that much difference in mileage, I've just got into the habit of mainly running on 91 and every now and then substituting 98. The laguna runs well on 91, and Australdi alerted me to the fact that most dealers while they have the cars in their yards only fill them with cheaper fuel (ULP), though the information on the petrol flap says use 95 premium fuel.

I have a pathological objection to paying now sometimes 15 cents a litre more for 95 RON, for years it was a few cents more, then 5 cents more until 95 RON became generally specified and then the damn stuff jumped higher than 98 RON used to be when I was buying 98 fairly regularly for the fuego.

And yes the Fuego ran well on a full tank of 98, although as far as I could see most of the boost came from the aromatics that cycled back through the rebreathing canister, and once the aromatics dissipated the initial effect dropped off - just a gut feeling mind you, but the 98 seemed to keep the plugs clean and trouble free.

The laguna has platinum long life plugs so I reason that a dose of 98 probably helps keep the ignition stuff clean and so I keep a look out for when 91 prices are high and I often find in country stations that they sometimes don't raise their 98 prices in relation to the rapid movement of ULP so in effect its just above or sometimes (rarely) the same as 95!! when that happens I buy 98!!

Anyway the shandy of ULP and 98 in the tank is probably the equivalent of 95 RON - Not scientific I know, just a pig headed refusal to pay or play their game!!

I regard the so called discount cycle as nothing more than a marketing ploy to make or train otherwise intelligent people to THINK they are getting a bargain if they slavishly follow and stick to the low days - of course every now and then those smarter than the average, get stuck with the inevitable change in the low day cycle - but don't tell them I said that!! Some think the oil companies are benevolent benefactors in selling high on some days and "Low" on others.

methinks they never lose!! but that's me.

Used to keep mileage and tank record when it was under warranty, now I just do the kilometers and fill when necessary.

Ken

JBN

It depends on what sort of cars you drive and you want out of them. I drive 2CVs, Xantias and now my daughters 1.6L Lancer.

With Xantias (and BXs before that), I always buy 98 to stop the pinging. With the 2CV and the small engined Lancer, you can certainly notice the difference between 91 and 98. Added to the fact that there is ethanol in the 91 makes me even less inclined to use it.

Basically, fuel is one of the easiest costs to control on a car. Don't use the car and you spend no money on fuel. You still spend the full amount on registration, CTP insurance, comprehensive insurance. If your car is leased or on hire purchase/car loan, again you spend the same amount whether you drive it or not.

Buying well in the first place can minimise or cancel one of the greatest costs - devaluation. With the 2CVs, they are revaluating upwards. With the Xantia, bought for $2K plus $2K on parts and insured for $6K, there is little room for devaluation.

I notice the difference between 91 and 98 fuel, both in on road performance and price. I choose the 98. Theoretically, it should produce an equivalent increase in performance that either negates the additional price or at least reduce the gap.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

I regard the so called discount cycle as nothing more than a marketing ploy to make or train otherwise intelligent people to THINK they are getting a bargain if they slavishly follow and stick to the low days - of course every now and then those smarter than the average, get stuck with the inevitable change in the low day cycle - but don't tell them I said that!! Some think the oil companies are benevolent benefactors in selling high on some days and "Low" on others.

methinks they never lose!! but that's me.

Used to keep mileage and tank record when it was under warranty, now I just do the kilometers and fill when necessary.

Ken
    The difference in price between the top end of the cycle and the bottom can certainly negate any gain from improved mileage.

I don't think I would have bothered working out the difference if the Megane's trip computer didn't do the numbers on consumption for me

Geoff
    There is a solution to every problem. There is a problem with every solution.
    • Renault R4L '63 - Descartes
    • Renault R4L '64 - Lucy
    • Renault Megane '07 - too young to have a name...

On the RX4 Scenic the average decrease in fuel consumption using 98 over 91 appeared about .5l/100 Km. What was instantly noticeable was smoother running and the ability to leap tall buildings at single bound. Definite performance advantage.

Thread Information