I just got married
  • Register
  • Help

Default I just got married

A few weeks ago I got married here in Thailand, where I'll be living for a while. Here are a few pics.
    My wife is a really lovely person and is the light in my life. She's a high school teacher. We had a Buddhist wedding ceremony at her parents' home.
    In the 3rd photo we are with a binturong; an odd cat-like creature with a prehensile tail, which lives in asian forests.
    The odd expression on my face is because it's whiskers and fur tickle !

Advertisement

Probably the most interesting family member I met was Ning's uncle Waeng (one of her father's brothers, and shown here in the last photo ). He's a SNAKE MAN ! He runs a show and has been in the business for many years, though he doesn't still handle them himself any more. Thirty years ago he got bitten on the thumb by a king cobra, which unlike an ordinary cobra sometimes locks itself on for a while rather than letting go.....plus it has it has enough venom to kill 30 or 40 people. He knew he would be screwed if he didn't do something quick, so he chopped off half his left thumb. You can see it was long ago, because the brown pigmentation has returned to the thumb stump (bottom joint). I guess a doctor trimmed it up later.
    Then about 10 years ago, he was bitten on the back of the other (right) hand by an "ordinary" cobra, and the scar is still pinkish.....the brown pigment has only half returned.
    It's a nasty scar, and you can see the flesh has deteriorated underneath some time ago.
    But that's not all ! He was in Thai boxing / snake show as a young man (not sure if it was before or after the thumb incident). I have read they sometimes kiss the snake on the back of the head at the end of the show, and in fact he was bitten on the TONGUE by an "ordinary" (not king) cobra.
    No kidding. He took some herbal medicine all snake men carry to counteract venom and then fell unconscious for half an hour, during which time his heart stopped.
    But his friends revived him, and he went to hospital. Subsequently he could not speak for a year, and all (or at least most ) of his teeth fell out.....as you would expect.
    He speaks good English, but is a little difficult to understand because he does not wear dentures, though Nings says he wears "something" to help him eat. Perhaps they are badly-fitting dentures.
    His eyes roll around a little, though Ning says she has not noticed anything. It's as if the venom has affected his eye muscles......sometimes he's a little wide-eyed, and they roll slightly. He's an interesting character to chat with.

I've seen a few Peugeot 505s here, and a nice maroon 404.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I just got married-3.jpg   I just got married-dscf1179.jpg   I just got married-edited-zoo.jpg   I just got married-waeng.jpg  
    Last edited by Beano; 9th May 2011 at 09:34 PM.

Congratulations!

Mike.

PS. Might be a good idea if you don't read the humour forum thingie!
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

XTC

Congrats,

That uncle has more lives than a cat !!

And i hope you like Chilli ... all that Thai cooking ...

Thanks for congrats, gents.
    Er...are you up late or early, Mike ? Not sure of time difference.
    I can't STAND chilli ! My eyes water, face goes red, and there's fire in my mouth. But I'll do anything to live here with my love......
    I just need to remember they assume it's normal to put chilli in everything.
    Someone here caught a waitress putting MSG in his coffee.....

Congratulations and welcome to Asia! :-)
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Thanks for congrats, gents.
    Er...are you up late or early, Mike ? Not sure of time difference.
    It's 12 noon over 'ere.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Congratulations! Wishing you both many many happy years together! Your new uncle sounds like the sort of person I could sit listening to for hours...I love hearing interesting experiences like that.
    many blessings!
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Thanks Australdi,
    Yes, uncle Waeng was quite an unexpected family member. Hadn't been told of him before the wedding.
    I have had a few interesting experiences myself. But you shouldn't encourage me......I might tell you about the time I swam the 2 kilometres or so between Malaysia and Singapore, entering illegally, in 1987. Twas the dead of a moonless night, and when I ran my hands through the water, the sea glowed with what I thought was plankton, but soon (and later) discovered was pin-head sized baby jellyfish, as they stung slightly. It was a surreal experience.....like swimming through a galaxy, with stars glowing as I touched them. I was a little nervous about sharks, but knew the area was overfished decades before.
    I did it for love as the Immigration dept in Singapore wouldn't let me stay longer.
    Last edited by Beano; 9th May 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Tadpole

Congratulations, Beano, it is a good thing to share your happiness with such descriptive writing. It is a reminder of what a good bunch of people there are in Aussiefrogs. Every good wish for the future for you both.

Congratulations man...here is a little song for you...

="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rY0WxgSXdEE"

Fellow Frogger!

Icon14

I don't know you from a hill o' beans, but congratulations!

Sounds like you've done the deed for (all) the right reason(s), and scored a bonus with a bit of colour in the family. Enjoy!
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Congratulations. I got married in November.

Congrats! And Thailand is a wonderful country. Just remember, the chili will be in Thailand longer than you will, so learn to love it!
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

Thread Information