Anybody remember Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anybody remember Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who?

Unfortunately she passed away this morning at only 63.

Elisabeth Claira Heath Sladen was born in Liverpool on February 1, 1948. A natural performer, Sladen took dance lessons at an early age and was part of a production with the Royal Ballet. After completing grammar school, she turned her attentions to acting and attended a local drama school for two years. Work as an assistant stage manager at the Liverpool Playhouse repertory company followed, and it was here that Sladen first met her future husband, Brian Miller.

After a first uncredited screen appearance in the 1965 film musical Ferry Cross the Mersey, Sladen combined weekly repertory theatre work with occasional television and radio roles, including a six-episode stint as a barmaid in Coronation Street. Further television work followed, including parts in Z-Cars, Doomwatch and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.

In 1973, Doctor Who producer Barry Letts was searching for a new actress to play The Doctor's companion, to replace the departing Katy Manning. After a recommendation from Z-Cars producer Ron Craddock, Letts met with Sladen and eventually cast her as investigate journalist Sarah Jane Smith. She made her first appearance as the character later that year in four-part adventure 'The Time Warrior'.

Sladen would eventually remain with Doctor Who for three years, appearing alongside both Third Doctor Jon Pertwee and his successor Tom Baker. Her time on the show opposite both actors is fondly remembered by fans as a golden era of the series. Sladen's final regular appearance on the show was in 1976 story 'The Hand of Fear'. Though the actress turned down an offer from then-producer John Nathan-Turner to return to Doctor Who full-time in 1981, she did appear in spinoff pilot K-9 and Company. The project did not go to series, but Sladen would play Sarah Jane again two years later in Doctor Who's 20th anniversary special 'The Five Doctors'. She also reprised the role for 1993 Children In Need special 'Dimensions In Time' and the 1995 independent video feature Downtime.

Advertisement

Following her initial Doctor Who run, Sladen returned to Liverpool with her husband. She continued to work in the theatre and also appeared as a presenter on the children's series Stepping Stones. Other notables roles around this time included an appearance alongside her spouse Miller in ITV drama Send In The Girls and another small film role in 1980's Silver Dream Racer. In 1981, the actress also reunited with her Doctor Who colleague Barry Letts for a BBC production of the classic tale Gulliver in Lilliput.

Sladen went into semi-retirement following the birth of her daughter Sadie Miller in 1985. However, she still made occasional television appearances, including a recurring role on ITV medical drama Peak Practice and a guest stint on sitcom Faith in the Future. Her role in BBC schools programme Numbertime was to be her final television acting appearance until her spectacular return to Doctor Who in 2006. Thirty years after leaving the series for the first time, Sladen reprised her role as Sarah Jane Smith in the episode 'School Reunion', starring alongside Tenth Doctor David Tennant. She would appear again in the two-part fourth series finale 'The Stolen Earth' and 'Journey's End' and also made a brief cameo in Tennant's Who swansong 'The End of Time'.

When the return of Sarah Jane proved popular with long-term fans and new viewers alike, Sladen was approached to star in a new spinoff series, The Sarah Jane Adventures. Created by then Doctor Who showrunner Russell T. Davies, the CBBC series first aired as a 60-minute special on New Year's Day 2007. Four full series followed and the show proved a hit with both audiences and critics, most recently winning the award for 'Children's Drama' at the Royal Television Society Programme Awards. Sladen appeared alongside the newest Doctor, Matt Smith, in the most recent series, and a fifth run was in the works at the time of her death. The actress had been battling cancer and is survived by her husband of 43 years, Brian Miller, and daughter Sadie.
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

she was probably one of the best of the docs sidekicks

as a side note i recently watched a new Doctor who and was turned off it completely, it is no where near as good as what it was back in teeth and curls day
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

And K9 definitely needed some decent bearings!

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

mlb

Very sad news. Wasnt that old either.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Sad news.

Especially for the generation who watched her and Pertwee, Baker, the Brig, Sergent Benton, and Harry Sullivan. Great drama stories and great actors took your attention away from the sometimes wobbly sets.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Sad news.

Especially for the generation who watched her and Pertwee, Baker, the Brig, Sergent Benton, and Harry Sullivan. Great drama stories and great actors took your attention away from the sometimes wobbly sets.
    G'day,

the good Brigadier died in the last couple of weeks.
    The scary thing is, Sarah Jane Smith is only 2 days older than me.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Subite View Post
    Sad news.

Couldn't agree more.
    2005 Jaune Scott VTS 180 (built 28/1/05), K&N Typhoon Induction Kit, Bilstein B14 PSS Coilovers | Build Thread

C4Owners.org Premier Club Member#19249
    Citroen Car Club of NSW Inc Member - 2013/14 Committee Member and Editor of "The Chevrons"
    Australian Racing Drivers' Club Member
    facebook.com/cccnsw

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Even though she did time with Tom Baker, she'll always be a Jon Pertwee gal to me

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by 63-1092 View Post
    Ah, that's better.

As an aside my boys have just discovered Doctor Who - albeit in it's current form. So I've been educating them in the old school style and story. My youngest is currently reading The War Games

Matt

Default The Dr's two best companions

And even better still

Sad news nonetheless
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody remember Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who?-lis_sladen_k9_400_400x300.jpg  

Thread Information