DS's at Philip Island
  • Register
  • Help

Default DS's at Philip Island

Found this little article this afternoon and thought it was worth sharing. It's a shame there isn't more information and photographs.

http://blog.retro-classics.co.nz/?p=3825

Advertisement

Nice find!

Of course, a DS has "raced" and won at Phillip Island a bit more recently!

September 2005 I was officiating at the State Race meeting at PI for the Mini Club (my other passion).

Part of the deal is a 20 minute Regularity event at the end of the day for Officials, preferably in Minis but exceptions can be made).

I took part in the DS as a shake down before the Ampol rerun in 2006.

Moby Dick was the most consistent around the track, so I lost the least number of points and won the event!

I wrote it up for the CCCV Magazine, might as well share it here.

Mind you, it's hard to concentrate on enjoying a flat out fang when laughing hysterically all the while!

Just realised I posted this way back then. Try here for the picture: Citroen DS Wins at Phillip Island!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Buvito Ergo Sum!

The Fleet:

2018 C3 Shine ("Oscar" Mrs P's)
    1974 D Special Manual Sedan ("Moby Dick")
    2006 C5 HDI Wagon Auto ("Mephistopheles")
    1982 2CV6 ("Gaston") On the road! (Woohoo!)
    1957 Slough 2CV ("Alphonse") Has made it to the Hoist!
    1975 GS Pallas ("GiSelle") Also waiting in the wings
    And for Fun, 1968 Mini Deluxe ("The R & D'luxe" 1078cc, Grin Factor 100!)

You will note that the photograph has an EJ Holden with even more go-faster stripes in front of the DS, was it in the same class?
    Last edited by Kim Luck; 5th April 2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: short cut
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    You will note that the photograph has an EJ Holden with even more go-faster stripes in front of the DS, was it in the same class?
    I am assuming that the letters on the cars are denoting class. The text states that the "Citroen went on to take 3rd in Class A, behind a Studebaker Lark, a Zephyr but ahead of a Valiant."

The Holden appears to be in Class B, though the grey motor was 2,260cc and the car weighed 1130kg. The Studebaker was 2,779cc and 1,311kg but in the same class as the Citroen so goodness knows how the classes were arranged. Maybe on wheelbase!

The Mini shows Class D.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

I'm thinking that in those early days of production car racing the basic tenet might have been price?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Nice find!

Of course, a DS has "raced" and won at Phillip Island a bit more recently!

September 2005 I was officiating at the State Race meeting at PI for the Mini Club (my other passion).

Part of the deal is a 20 minute Regularity event at the end of the day for Officials, preferably in Minis but exceptions can be made).

I took part in the DS as a shake down before the Ampol rerun in 2006.

Moby Dick was the most consistent around the track, so I lost the least number of points and won the event!

I wrote it up for the CCCV Magazine, might as well share it here.

Mind you, it's hard to concentrate on enjoying a flat out fang when laughing hysterically all the while!

Just realised I posted this way back then. Try here for the picture: Citroen DS Wins at Phillip Island!

Cheers, Pottsy
    Thanks for that Pottsy. A shame there aren't more pictures. Looks like great fun!

great stuff.
    Im going to use this link to show the unbelievers tht D's didnt/wont break if you treat them a little rough..
    PS Id rather take my D's in a race than my Mini.
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

DS

Great shot.

I think DS regularly "showed up" other car owners in these sorts of events back in the day. My father still tells me about a DS that used to be a member of the Kingsgrove Car Club in Sydney and it would effortlessly beat everyone on their motorkhana days!

There are shots of DS racing at Bathurst out there somewhere.

Having being born in Victoria and living there for 23 years. I remember the first and subsequent Armstrong 500's. If my memory serves me correct, it was John Roxborough and co-driver that won in a Vauxhall Cresta. There was a 6' 3" dutchman driving a Mini, but I think that was the second 500.
    Great memories of days gone by.
    DS 21
    C4 HDI
    Piaggio Fly 125

Thread Information