Longford Revival Festival
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Longford Revival Festival

Hi All

Did any other AFers get to the Festival on the weekend? I saw only two cars in the Show and Shine - a Light 15 and a R16. Didn't have time to wander the car park, as I was one of the army of volunteers. Hopefully will post some photos in the next couple of days - watch this space.

I'd love to hear what other people thought of the atmosphere and the speed trials. I didn't get much of a feel for the atmosphere, as I was located at the "finish line" all weekend, but what I saw felt pretty good, if you'll excuse the mixed sensory inputs there. The speed trials were nothing short of brilliant, and the amount of pure motoring history that was thrashed over a short sprint run was excellent.

I'll try and put up a few more comments with the photos, when I get them organised.

Advertisement

Cheers

Simon
    Clarky, the member formerly known as Simple Simon

GTi6 and 207GTi, or is it 207GTi and GTi6?

Default Longford revival

Saw the Light 14 but missed the R16. Must have been a case of too much pinot at lunch time.

Was an excellent event with something for everyone (non-petrol heads included). In reality is a lead-up event for Targa. The Porsche Museum component was spectacular with the 1969 Targo Florio winner and Le Mans winners in attendance. Thankfully there was only a couple of FX/FJ Holdens. The reduced length of the old "Flying Mile" with a wall of hay bales at the end kept terminal speeds below 280 Km/h. I think 300 km/h was the record for the day with a motor bike.

With over 25,000 in attendance it will probably be held every year. Maybe we will get a Peugeot 203 sometime. They used to be raced in Tasmania by the likes of Donald Gorringe in the mid fifties especially in rally events.
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Default Longford revival

Light 14 +1 that is
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Tadpole

Default Light 15 at Longford

I'm gradually finding my way around with photos.

These are the Citroen Light 15, which on Saturday was just in the "Show & Shine", but on Sunday was unleashed on the Flying Mile. From memory he got up to about 120 kmh. You'll have to excuse my memory - I was working as a volunteer and not in a position to record all the speeds.

I'm having trouble believing that the hood ornament (a kangaroo) was factory issue - does anyone have any knowledge. And there was a sticker across the windscreen, too - "Chief Inspector Maigret" I'm pretty certain he didn't drive a Light 15 with a kangaroo.

Know that I've got some idea what to do, I'll post the other photos over the next few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longford Revival Festival-5588726454_9dc0533701_m.jpg   Longford Revival Festival-5588140449_197a46c022_m.jpg   Longford Revival Festival-5588729420_90b3647859_m.jpg   Longford Revival Festival-5596845994_47d7a34faa_m.jpg   Longford Revival Festival-5594493763_1f0c769e68_m.jpg  
    Last edited by Clarky; 7th April 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: another picture

Tadpole

Default Now for the Renault

Seen in the Show & Shine on Saturday
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Longford Revival Festival-5596963150_3a1a94cbd2_m.jpg   Longford Revival Festival-5596958870_0ff78f6d86_m.jpg  

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    Saw the Light 14 but missed the R16. Must have been a case of too much pinot at lunch time.

Was an excellent event with something for everyone (non-petrol heads included). In reality is a lead-up event for Targa. The Porsche Museum component was spectacular with the 1969 Targo Florio winner and Le Mans winners in attendance. Thankfully there was only a couple of FX/FJ Holdens. The reduced length of the old "Flying Mile" with a wall of hay bales at the end kept terminal speeds below 280 Km/h. I think 300 km/h was the record for the day with a motor bike.

With over 25,000 in attendance it will probably be held every year. Maybe we will get a Peugeot 203 sometime. They used to be raced in Tasmania by the likes of Donald Gorringe in the mid fifties especially in rally events.
    I have a 203 which was once owned by Allan Robertson, he raced at Longford in 1966 and I was wondering if it was in my car.
    I didn't get around to doing anything about bringing it over but must contact him and find out, I may have an original Longford car!
    Graham

1000+ Posts

Icon7 Longford Targa event today.

Twas a beautiful sunny day in Longford Tasmania. Di and I travelled from Launceston and joined the crowd at cemetery corner, had a brilliant view of the cars as they made that turn, with some cars providing the crowd with the spectacle of losing it in a wild 360 degree spin, with lots of smoke and noise.

One tried to demolish a small brick fence and another mounted the kerbside and then drove off slowly with a wonky front suspension. The utes entered drew aplause from the crowd as they showed how unsuitable they were to handle when cornering at speed, with some spectacular spins.

The crowd also were following the antics of an elderly lady, who had a "trackside" position just next to the brick fence that was dislodged, nothing could keep her from her position viewing the cars coming towards her as the drivers fought to control their vehicles.Hopefully

Will try later and see if I can master this computer and put up some pic's and video of the action. Hopefully I will have a few good pics and also some 7 seconf video clips. Just made it through the event - plenty of space on the card but video function ate up the battery of the Sony Nex 5. Day finished with the battery at 7 percent capacity.....

A good day was had by all.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    I have a 203 which was once owned by Allan Robertson, he raced at Longford in 1966 and I was wondering if it was in my car.
    I didn't get around to doing anything about bringing it over but must contact him and find out, I may have an original Longford car!
    Graham
    I'm pretty sure Robbie's ex race car is still in Tasmania, I think a mate of mine has got that car as part of a pair he got a few years back

Another fellow in Tasmania has also still got his Longford racing 203 in his shed!
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Thread Information