Defensive driving course in Melbourne
  • Register
  • Help

Default Defensive driving course in Melbourne

If anyone knows of a good defensive driving course preferably around Malvern, could you please let me know?

Advertisement
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    If anyone knows of a good defensive driving course preferably around Malvern, could you please let me know?
    Jim Murcotts Mob ( Jim is now dead) offers a course at Sandown.

http://www.murcotts.edu.au/

It's interesting see all the dudes in their Subaru WRXs on the skidpan when the instructor pulls the fuse on the ABS!
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

I've done the Driver Dynamics advanced car control course, which was pretty good.
    I've also been doing quite few John Bowe Driving high performance days. John Bowe also do similar defensive, and advanced courses.
    I thought the John Bowe instructors tended to be slightly better.
    Driver Dynamics are doing a summer special of $99 which is very cheap for their basic course.

What are you trying to get out of it? If it's a better understanding of how your car responds in ordinary emergency situations, then the advanced car control is good.

http://www.johnbowedriving.com/

http://www.driverdynamics.com.au/

I am trying to get my son to understand he's not Michael Schumacher.

Just had an accident yesterday and I think it's because he's overconfident and doing too many things when driving.

Typical gen Y behaviour, you know, running six gazillion computers at the same time with a gazillion windows open in each while listening to music, eating and talking on the phone type thing.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

I'd get him into the cheapest one with actual driving involved. Driver Dynamics will be fine. They will wet the track and show him exactly how long it takes to stop/turn a car. Very eye opening.

I'm 19, i did two when i was 17. i did one with aamie, this one was cheap but it didn't really teach you much just how to brake really.
    the other one i did was a Mercedes one this was a heap of fun and very beneficial, i got to drive an array of cars from and slk320 to a twin turbo c class, they teach you how to get cars back in to control how to corner and many other things, the teachers are all so Mercedes racing drivers.

Default Murcotts experiences

Hi there - recently gave my partner's son a birthday present of a 1 year 'refresher' defensive driver course at Sandown. He enjoyed it & it seemed to cover a good range of techniques. For the money ($260 odd) was good value for the time and track work they did.
    Also personally did the Murcotts defensive driving course with the RCCV many years ago now - I certainly found it to be very good.
    Cheers
    Bryce
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

Get junior to pay for it in the first place!
    Did the Driverdynamics late December and at $99 worth the cost, with 17 yo in shite box Lancer. They do push the agenda of newer and better technology is best, but for a $2000 RWC shite box it's probably more real than some other cars present with ABS/ESC and cup holders. Cup holders are seen to be a safety item! It did however show what your car would do in a limited 'extreme' situation such as under heavy braking.
    Less talk and more do was my verdict at the end of it all.
    Many years ago I did a Murcott's 'Club racing' high performance course and it was a hoot but it has probably been toned down by the safety police, in the old days it included two starting start sprints. One as per normal and the other a reverse format. PB was there and approved at the way we conducted ourselves, close but very fair was the verdict.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Typical gen Y behaviour, you know, running six gazillion computers at the same time with a gazillion windows open in each while listening to music, eating and talking on the phone type thing.
    Not while he is driving, I hope!

Roger

PS I can tell you who not to use: Driving Forces in Shepparton. I did a one day course with them, paid for by my employer a couple of years back. They were poor educators, I felt. Too full of their own egos. I did get to do a few slides on the Rushworth speedway track, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Wilkinson View Post
    Not while he is driving, I hope!

Roger

PS I can tell you who not to use: Driving Forces in Shepparton. I did a one day course with them, paid for by my employer a couple of years back. They were poor educators, I felt. Too full of their own egos. I did get to do a few slides on the Rushworth speedway track, though!
    I hope so too, but we'll never know I guess.

It is tragic, but I think especially today these young kids getting their licenses after they just graduated from playstation is not ideal. Don't have anything against young drivers, I was one too, but starting in life on a 1966 R10 in winter with snow, ice, fog and the rest of it, is a wake up call every time you get in the car. Starting the engine at -20C is a success in itself, not to mention being able to drive it to work and back every day safely. No such things here, though. Everything is made so easy, it seems a piece of piss and teenagers don't need much more to become overconfident. The wake up call can come too late then.

Thank you very much everybody.

One more question though. Do you need your own car or can you drive their car?

Thread Information