This week's scam alert
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default This week's scam alert

Got a call from the Cameron at the Australian Taxation Office saying they wanted to talk to me about some superation they'd found belonging to me. Was it a good time to talk? I said I didn't know who they were and could I call them please.

Advertisement

Cameron said the number was 1300 852 232. I googled it and it came up as being bogus.

Apparently its an attempt to get your identity, including your tax file number and either claim tax or superannuation beloning to you or to get you to make a deposit to open account into which they promise to dump big sums of money.

He sounded genuine, sincere and polite. - but the ATO sends you letters it doesn't make calls.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    but the ATO sends you letters it doesn't make calls.

P
    And seldom gives - more often takes away
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Exfrogger View Post
    Got a call from the Cameron at the Australian Taxation Office saying they wanted to talk to me about some superation they'd found belonging to me. Was it a good time to talk? I said I didn't know who they were and could I call them please.

Cameron said the number was 1300 852 232. I googled it and it came up as being bogus.

Apparently its an attempt to get your identity, including your tax file number and either claim tax or superannuation beloning to you or to get you to make a deposit to open account into which they promise to dump big sums of money.

He sounded genuine, sincere and polite. - but the ATO sends you letters it doesn't make calls.

P
    On the ATO site there is a thing called SuperSeeker designed for people to track their missing Super - they certainly don't bother chasing people. If your Cameron had been genuine he would have referred you to that.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Banned

one interesting point is that when i call that number, i do indeed get someone from the superannuation section of the ATO, on the line. either that, or a bogus recorded voice, call transfer, and chatty kiwi lass operating out of barbados. she confirmed that they do indeed make calls out on this subject, and they do work in the evenings.

for those with residual suspicion, you could do this:
    1. Phone our self-help line on 13 28 65 Fast Key Code 1 then 2.
    We will give you important privacy information. Make sure you have paper and a pen ready to write down the details of any lost accounts.
    2. We will ask for your:
    * TFN
    * date of birth.

and when you speak to them ask to confirm the 1 300 number in question. to be sure, it is not helpful that the number doesnt appear on the ATO website. i have alerted them to that anomaly. of course, if i get an email back saying that it really is a bogus operation run by some kiwi chick in barbados, i will let everyone know that too.
    Last edited by alexander; 18th March 2011 at 07:45 PM.

JBN

Just got an email from a Lt Sandra Tailor supposedly with the US Army Medical Team. There was a "link" to a supposed BBC article on Iraq which she implored me to read and then get back to her after having read it for further discussion.

Thanks to Mailwasher, I read her email, declined to click on the link and it was automatically marked for deletion by Mailwasher as she was not in my friends list.

John

WLB

I got an e-mail from the US ambassador to Nigeria. Apparently he's stopping off here on his way back from the States, and wants to catch up. He has a package for me. Sounds like a nice chap.

I thought we might have dinner together and I can hand over all my personal details. Anyone else care to join us? Just bring along your bank account numbers and passwords to share over a nice bottle of something.

Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post
    I got an e-mail from the US ambassador to Nigeria. Apparently he's stopping off here on his way back from the States, and wants to catch up. He has a package for me. Sounds like a nice chap.

I thought we might have dinner together and I can hand over all my personal details. Anyone else care to join us? Just bring along your bank account numbers and passwords to share over a nice bottle of something.
    Maybe we could buy a bridge or two as well!
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    Just got an email from a Lt Sandra Tailor supposedly with the US Army Medical Team. There was a "link" to a supposed BBC article on Iraq which she implored me to read and then get back to her after having read it for further discussion.

Thanks to Mailwasher, I read her email, declined to click on the link and it was automatically marked for deletion by Mailwasher as she was not in my friends list.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by WLB View Post

An' aren't you guys so lucky getting emails from such important and prestigious people - can't understand why you not more accommodating.
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

WLB

I've even bought a new suit for the occasion Ron. I need to look my best. Apparently the package contains US$11.3 million and we are going to share it. I only need to give him my account details and $15,000 to smooth things along.

What could possibly go wrong?

I mean, he's already said that what he's proposing is shonky, so why would he lie about anything else?

It is his lucky day! I will forward details of a Queensland widow of a GI, whose love of Ameriica is such that she has left her fortune of 18.6 million dollars to the first American to claim it. Ask him for his passport, 25000 dollars for the legal fees and his bank account details for the transfer.
    He won't miss the meeting!!!!!!!!!!!
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

Default Beware the latest one!

NEW SCAM!!!

Women often receive warnings about protecting themselves at the mall and in dark parking lots, etc. This is the first warning I have seen for men. I wanted to pass it on in case you haven't heard about it.

A 'heads up' for those men who may be regular customers at Mitre 10, Crazy Clarks or even Coles
    , once even happened at Car Lovers Car Wash. That one caught me totally by surprise. Over the last month I became a victim of a clever scam while out shopping. Simply going out to get supplies has turned out to be quite traumatic. Don't be naive enough to think it couldn't happen to you or your friends.

Here's how the scam works:

Two nice-looking,
    uni-aged girls will come over to your car as you are packing your purchases into your vehicle. They both start wiping your windshield with a rag and Windex, with their breasts almost falling out of their skimpy T-shirts. (It's impossible not to look). When you thank them and offer them a tip, they say 'No' but instead ask for a ride to McDonald's.

You agree and they climb into the vehicle. On the way, they start undressing. Then one of them starts crawling all over you, while the other one steals your wallet.

I had my wallet stolen January 4th, 9th, 10th, twice on the 15th, 17th, 20th, 24th, & 29th.. Also February 1st & 4th, twice on the 8th, 16th, 23rd, 26th & 27th, and very likely again this upcoming weekend.

So tell your friends to be careful. What a horrible way to take advantage of us older men. Warn your friends to be vigilant.

Woollies has wallets on sale for $2.99 each. I found even cheaper ones for $.99 at
    Samís Warehouse and bought them out in three of their stores
    Also, you never get to eat at McDonald's. I've already lost 11 pounds just running back and forth from Mitre 10, to Crazy Clark?s, to Coles, etc.

So please, send this on to all the older men that you know and warn them to be on the lookout for this scam. (The best times are just before lunch and around 4:30 in the afternoon.)

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

This appeared in my inbox this week. Why was I not fooled??

It has come to our understanding that your Bigpoong Accoun has not passed
    check / update process that we are currently working on. We
    are updating our database and Bigpoong Account center.

We are deleting all Bigpoong Account to create more space for new
    accounts.

To prevent your account from closing you will have to update it so that
    we know that this it's account used.

Confirm the identity of your email below
    E-mail Name:..............
    Email Password:...............
    Date of Birth:................
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

Thread Information