cylinder hone needed
  • Register
  • Help

Default cylinder hone needed

Hey all, I'm rebuilding a 405 diesel and need a cylinder hone to deglaze the cylinders. Does anyone have a cylinder hone with 240 grit stones or a flex hone 80mm in size that they may have bought for an engine rebuild and then never use? Wanna rent it? Sell it?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Default Don't have the tool but have slipstones.

Don't have one that large D.U.Y. but I do have some new hone stones, not sure what grit (about six inch long x three eights to half an inch thick/wide with one side rounded) If you can get hold of one that takes those size stones, that could be an answer.

Hope you source one to help you out mate.

Long time no hear from you on A/F?

Ken

Fellow Frogger!

Supercheap have 3 leg centrifugal hones suitable for limited use (not top quality, but accurate enough to last for several rebuilds) at reasonable prices.

However - if the bore is accurately sized does it need to be 'deglazed'? Two lines of thought are that an accurate and work hardened bore should not be touched, the other that the surface finish needs to be 'roughed up' to carry oil to allow proper lubrication of the piston / rings.

Common practice is to hone cross hatched markings into the bore surface, but is this advantageous, or merely shortening the life of the engine by inducing more wear.

Or is a 'glazed' surface unsuited to bedding of new pistons, rings?

How long does the cross hatch pattern remain?

I have been told that Pommy diesel engined buses of many years ago were fitted with soft aluminium non-waisted pistons when new and run to seizing to deliberately 'glaze' the bore - then fitted with standard piston / rings which lasted forever. Possibly another urban legend, dunno.

Thoughts from the knowlegable, please - - -

Regards,

Fento

Fellow Frogger!

Default Deglase the bores.

My old dad has been building engines for ever and says if you don't deglase the bores the rings wont bed in and you won't stop the engine using oil
    Cheers Peter.

Default Hey ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post
    Don't have one that large D.U.Y. but I do have some new hone stones, not sure what grit (about six inch long x three eights to half an inch thick/wide with one side rounded) If you can get hold of one that takes those size stones, that could be an answer.

Hope you source one to help you out mate.

Long time no hear from you on A/F?

Ken
    Good to hear from you too, thanks for the offer of stones I'm still alive and kicking down here in tassie but being as I build straw bale houses in a remote community, no need for cars much. I do get roped into fixing other peoples' pugs though as you can tell from my post. I'm heading back to the states in May for a year and am looking at this car to buy...

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/2234435481.html

What do you think?

Thread Information