Citroen DS dash panel
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Default Citroen DS dash panel

Have received reply from Wallee concerning these. He says they'll be with him tomorrow. Have ordered 10 (at price to be confirmed - last ebay sale was $35) He has asked if I have a US address to ship to and someone to bring back in a suitcase! Anyone coming back from US or Canada soon?

If so could you let me know if you are able to assist. The panels are small and there are only 10.

The instruments/gauges are not included - just the squarish panel with three holes and two power sockets. Image below shows one in situ.

Also if anyone else (other than the four people who have already asked) want one (or two etc) it will be first in first served. Only FOUR left.

Now there is only ONE.

Check on US Post option at around $12 per panel = total cost $33+12=US$45
    Replaced second image with a larger one.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS dash panel-b9zw1ng2kkgrhqvicezn7zietbm60szo62_12.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-14l.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by rmac; 13th February 2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Added another image. Updated
    Current Cars
    Australia's 2016 C5 2.0HDi Last
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400 Pallas C-matic,
    1981 Citroen CX 2400ie Super Familiale C-matic - Raid Arctique 2014
    1991 Mazda E2200
    1924 Citroen 'la petit citron'

Woo hoo....!

Something to look forward to...

Only three left and no 'courier' offers yet.

Any suggestions on brands and gauges to fill the holes?
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    Only three left and no 'courier' offers yet.

Any suggestions on brands and gauges to fill the holes?
    That looks quite handy.
    I'd be putting in 3 GS clocks to show international time zones - or Citroen Time if none of them work!
    CITROEN CAR CLUB of NSW - MEMBER. www.citroencarclub.org.au. . .www.facebook.com/CCCNSW
    08FD DSPECIAL "Dear Prudence wont you come out to play?"
    00FF7512 DS23SAFARI "Pull up to my bumper Baby, in your long black limousine."
    C2MY06 C2VTR "Go speed racer, Go"
    YDO005 MORRIS MINI DELUXE "The Mini Deluxe floats on fluid too"

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I pointed my father in the direction of this thread. I'm unsure though, do they suite the DS dash ?? The crinkle finish looks right, but does it look like it belongs once you see the whole dash Do you have a picture of the whole dash ??

I'm leaning towards the roof console like Pottsy has put in his DS.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    I pointed my father in the direction of this thread. I'm unsure though, do they suite the DS dash ?? The crinkle finish looks right, but does it look like it belongs once you see the whole dash Do you have a picture of the whole dash ??

I'm leaning towards the roof console like Pottsy has put in his DS.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I only have the image displayed (courtesy fleabay)

Also have had an offer from a DS23 owner to possibly courier from LA to Sydney in April so that saves around $10 each I would imagine.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

.....and makes them particularly good value

Default Delivered and Fitted

The panels arrived from the US and were forwarded on last week. La Parisian has already got his fitted and sent me two images. Here is his comment:

"Hi Ross
    I am very pleased with the result, the hardest task is to remove the 4 screws that holds the panel 2 on top and 2 on the bottom no cutting required
    you will need some very short philips screw drivers this task is not easy but patience is required please use the pics on aussiefrogs I dont mind. I decided to fit a voltage, tacho and engine temp gauges fully digital. the gauges are 50mil diameter and the panel will need some trimming the fit the gauges
    Cheers"

Now that we have a picture of one installed in a dash anyone who decides they want one had better be quick. There are a few left. Price $50 posted within Australia. Before anyone asks why the price is higher - less were able to be fitted into the parcel so the unit cost is higher.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS dash panel-dash-pics-014.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-dash-pics-017.jpg  
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

That looks really good. It's a pitty he couldn't find some "period" gauges to use in it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

They look great from the pics...and mine arrived at the end of last week.,...

....now, how to get the power outlets in without damage is going to be a challenge...

That looks really good. It's a pitty he couldn't find some "period" gauges to use in it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I've been looking at gauges and the cost is a significant factor if you are on a limited budget.

Yeah! I know! If you can't do it properly don't do it!

But some of us enjoy our cars and in many cases they've been 'compromised' before we get them. My 'Vicky' is one who survived rape, pillage and plunder. She will never be concourse but I enjoy driving her. I'll get the best I can afford and hopefully they'll look OK.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Default How do these look?

Hunting around I found these for around $80 - for the set.
    ($95 posted by insured mail)

Would they pass inspection?

They are from:
    http://www.trisco.com/products/elect...led_gauges.htm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS dash panel-gf520.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-gt520.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-gv520.jpg  
    Last edited by rmac; 8th March 2011 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added maker; added cost posted
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Ordered the above gauges and they arrived this morning. Found that the barrels were a little larger than the hole provided. Rolled a piece of sandpaper and after a few minutes had enlarged the hole sufficiently to fit gauge. Found a similar problem to fitting the power outlets. Make sure to rotate the panels as you are sanding to keep the hole round - ie sand evenly on the opening.

Had no scathing criticism of my choice of gauges so assume they are OK.

Now comes the real challenge of fitting the panel to the dash then the gauge sender units!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00883r.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00885r.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00886r.jpg  
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

I hope it wasn't me you were thinking of when you said "scathing criticism"

You have not seem how dodgy everything I do is right ???

They look really good to me and will suite the car. I shudder when I see tacky look modern crap in DS's. They don't need bright orange/green surrounds and coloured LED's all over them ... that look like there from the budget chinese junk "clearance" bin at the front of supercheap **shudder** ... These gauges may be ok in a lowerd faded pink Hi-undi excel maybe

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Default Removing centre section of DS dash.

Looking at the removal of the centre section of the dash it appeared to me to be continuous with the glovebox and instrument cluster. La Parisian had already fitted his and so I emailed him and this is his reply:

Hi Ross
    You dont need to remove the glove box nor the instrument panel and no need to cut any parts of the centre panel remove the top speaker panel this will help to locate the 2 nuts which holds the plastic box you will need a right angle screw driver and a spanner to hold the nuts once the box has been removed you will be able to see the 2 philips screws through the windsreen and through the speaker hole. obtain a small shabby screw driver and patiently remove the screws; pull out the clock this will enable you to feel the 2 bottom screws again patiently remove the screws . Its quite simple hope this help
    Cheers

I've attached the images he kindly sent me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS dash panel-ds-dash-001.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-ds-dash-002.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-ds-dash-003.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-ds-dash-005.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-ds-dash-004.jpg  
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

I hope it wasn't me you were thinking of when you said "scathing criticism"

You have not seem how dodgy everything I do is right ???

They look really good to me and will suite the car. I shudder when I see tacky look modern crap in DS's. They don't need bright orange/green surrounds and coloured LED's all over them ... that look like there from the budget chinese junk "clearance" bin at the front of supercheap **shudder** ... These gauges may be ok in a lowerd faded pink Hi-undi excel maybe

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Never!

I know how touching these cars brings out the passion in some. As I said on another posting some of us have cars that have been raped, pillaged and plundered. They will never be concourse as we don't have the money to do it. We will try to keep the car going though.

I looked high and low to find something that I think is sympathetic to the original. I think these do. The bonus was that they didn't cost me an arm and a leg.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Thanks rmac
    I received mine and am very happy with the quality and design. Actually a big improvement on Citroen original square piece of sh!t plastic that's good for nothing.
    Although I've been trying to have a look at fitting it and it looks a bit of a handful with those screws at the back. Any tricks I need to know about?
    More on the week-end.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Default Removing centre section of DS dash.

My eldest son learnt a few new words yesterday afternoon.

Lessons:
    1. Find a short stubby phillips head screwdriver. One with a thin handle (near the shaft anyway) If it is thick near the shaft you can't get 'square' to the slot! This is particularly so for the top screws.

2. Persist at it. When you find the space too small, your hands and fingers too large, the screwdriver too long/short/thick grab a beer. (well my son did) Then persist some more! After an hour or so keep persisting. (don't have too many beers though)

3. Once the top screws are out then persist with the bottom screws.

4. The clips supplied (to screw the panel to) - we got a hacksaw blade and cut a notch for the top two so that the clips finish up parallel to the frame you are fitting to. Will post some pics later.

5. Running the wires. In my car found a grommet on the passenger side 'firewall' in the engine compartment (right above the heater control unit) With a straightened coat hanger carefully threaded it straight towards the centre panel and behind the glove box. Hooked wires and pulled through.

6. Spent several hours cutting, crimping, measuring and joining wires to provide power, earths, sender cables for two gauges (voltmeter doesn't need one). Next task is to locate power for lights and also power from the ignition switch.

More as the work progresses.
    Last edited by rmac; 19th March 2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

My eldest son learnt a few new words yesterday afternoon.

Lessons:
    1. Find a short stubby phillips head screwdriver. One with a thin handle (near the shaft anyway) If it is thick near the shaft you can't get 'square' to the slot! This is particularly so for the top screws.

2. Persist at it. When you find the space too small, your hands and fingers too large, the screwdriver too long/short/thick grab a beer. (well my son did) Then persist some more! After an hour or so keep persisting. (don't have too many beers though)

3. Once the top screws are out then persist with the bottom screws.

4. The clips supplied (to screw the panel to) - we got a hacksaw blade and cut a notch for the top two so that the clips finish up parallel to the frame you are fitting to. Will post some pics later.

5. Running the wires. In my car found a grommet on the passenger side 'firewall' in the engine compartment (right above the heater control unit) With a straightened coat hanger carefully threaded it straight towards the centre panel and behind the glove box. Hooked wires and pulled through.

6. Spent several hours cutting, crimping, measuring and joining wires to provide power, earths, sender cables for two gauges (voltmeter doesn't need one). Next task is to locate power for lights and also power from the ignition switch.

More as the work progresses.
    7. Power for the backlighting was taken from the clock. There is a round female socket. Stripped the wire behind joiner and soldered wire from new dash panel. When you turn the lights on the dash panel is illuminated. Power for the auxilluary sockets can come direct from the original cigarette lighter.

8. Power for the gauges can be taken from the blower switch. Once again stripped the wire then twitched and soldered a lead for the new dash panel. Here the power is only available when the ignition is on.

9. To use the plate provided to fix the screw in the bottom holes also needed a hacksaw blade. The bottom ledge is a right angle piece of metal. Cut the top level with the centre of the hole and all the way back to the fold. You can then use a pair of pliars to bend the piece up then the screw plate will slide on. Centre the hole to the existing hole and angle slightly to the outer side.

10. As mine is a 'changeover' model - final dash but middle steering wheel and mirror from dash, I used the rear vision mirror bolt to fix the minor earth leads to. This was the last task before tucking all the cables behind the dash and putting the panel in place and tightening the four screws.

Things to take care with:

When soldering the 'live' splices make sure the cable comes out the hole it is going in to. Don't finish up with the soldered cable in one opening and out another!

When placing the panel into the dash be careful not to touch the cigarette lighter casing to earth (dash frame) as you will blow the 24amp fuse that also contains the indicator circuit (on mine anyway) It is alongside the steering column and under the windscreen wiper motor. A sod of a place when your fingers are a bit chopped up.

Now all there is left to do is to fit the sensors for temperature and for oil pressure. The volt meter is operational and show 13.5volts when cruising along and 12v (battery condition) when ignition is turned on.
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Thank God for my Hydroen harrisson_citroen's Avatar

Done.
    Followed your advice re: patience, and managed to fit it in.
    Now need some gauges.
    DS Un jour, DS toujours !

Fellow Frogger!

Have received reply from Wallee concerning these. He says they'll be with him tomorrow. Have ordered 10 (at price to be confirmed - last ebay sale was $35) He has asked if I have a US address to ship to and someone to bring back in a suitcase! Anyone coming back from US or Canada soon?

If so could you let me know if you are able to assist. The panels are small and there are only 10.

The instruments/gauges are not included - just the squarish panel with three holes and two power sockets. Image below shows one in situ.

Also if anyone else (other than the four people who have already asked) want one (or two etc) it will be first in first served. Only FOUR left.

Now there is only ONE.

Check on US Post option at around $12 per panel = total cost $33+12=US$45
    Replaced second image with a larger one.
    Do you have one left?

Please PM and I will organise to get one from you for Celine.

Regards Graham

Default All GONE

Anyone sitting back and waiting to see what happens? You've missed out - the last one has just been sold

On another note:
    Anyone suggest (pics if possible) where to place the temperature sensor? What about the oil pressure sensor - much larger unit (slightly larger than the handle of a stubby screw driver)?
    Last edited by rmac; 20th March 2011 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added request
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Default Pics of fitting

Here are the belated pics of the fitting.

First pic shows the hacksaw blade in the cut made to insert the screw plate. To the left you can see the plate already installed and parallel to the edge.

Second pic shows the coloured 'spagetti' of wires to the gauges.

Third and fourth pics show the unit in the dash.

I still need to know exactly where to fit the sensors for the temperature gauge and the oil pressure? Help! Please!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00891r.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00888r.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00909r.jpg   Citroen DS dash panel-dsc00910r.jpg  
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Well done! Looks good and you made a good choice of instruments.

You may have attended to it already but going by the pics you need to use properly insulated spade connectors for the power supply feeds, especially on the "+" side of the 12volt outlets. If those connectors you have used drop off they may cause a nasty short since you probably have them protected through a high rating fuse.

Either swap them for properly shielded female spade connectors or put a couple of layers of shrink tubing over them making sure the insulation is a little longer than the brass parts.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Well done! Looks good and you made a good choice of instruments.

You may have attended to it already but going by the pics you need to use properly insulated spade connectors for the power supply feeds, especially on the "+" side of the 12volt outlets. If those connectors you have used drop off they may cause a nasty short since you probably have them protected through a high rating fuse.

Either swap them for properly shielded female spade connectors or put a couple of layers of shrink tubing over them making sure the insulation is a little longer than the brass parts.
    Thanks Michael. The spade connectors are so tight that when we wanted to remove them we had to use a pair of pliars. We did use heat shrink wrap on the soldered joints when we could or several layers of electrical tape when we couldn't. The exposed terminals on the auxilluary power sockets are the major problem because the housing acts as a big earth.

You can probably tell we are rank amateurs!
    Current Cars
    2011 C5 2.0HDi Comfort
    1973 Citroen D Super 5,
    1991 Mazda E2200

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information