New Road Rules in France
  • Register
  • Help

Default New Road Rules in France

The Rules keep changing to improve safety and come in line with Euro norms. Trouble is that the population is slow to adopt them and it is hard to guess whether the other party is followng new or old rules.
    We are used to expecting pedestrians to jump out of the way as cars on roads have absolute priority - no longer true at least in law. You must now give way to a pedestrian on a marked crossing or if there is no such crossing within 50 metres. Conversely a pedestrian has to use a crossing if within 50 metres and obey the lights.

In the major cities now in some streets cyclists are allowed to ride against the traffic stream. Beware!

Advertisement
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

I thought that (pedestrians) was law a long time ago in some european countries (I know one where it sure was).

About cyclists, I suspected something when I visited Amsterdam and nearly got run down by a bicycle or fifteen everywhere I went.

I think we're headed for a nazi biker regime the world over.

As long as I can remember, cars have had to stop for pedestrians crossing or about to cross a road on a maked crossing here in Oz.
    This is something that spinsout my euro relos when they come here for a visit. They just can't bring themselves to step out onto the road when they see a car approaching!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by Renomad View Post
    They just can't bring themselves to step out onto the road when they see a car approaching!
    Smart people, these relo's of yours.
    They must be horrified when they see young australian mothers stopping traffic with the pram.

Jo

I know of a legislation (european country) where the 50 m rule was in force since the traffic code. On unsignalled pedestrian crossings cars had to give way to pedestrians as soon as the pedestrian set one foot in the road. This was interpreted by the law as an expression of intention to cross the street. These unsignalled crossings were used in streets with a speed limit of 40 or less. Streets/roads with speed limits above 40 had lights.

Won't stop me - I will still stand in the Middle of Grand Rue and have a conversaion, and they put the crossing near the boulangerie 10 metres from where I (and most other people) cross the road.

It's one of the joys of being French, being able to jaywalk and have conversations

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Smart people, these relo's of yours.
    They must be horrified when they see young australian mothers stopping traffic with the pram.

Jo
    Yep, "leading with the pram" is a great Aussie tradition it seems. Natural selection early?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Banned

can someone clarify what this 50m rule is? is it that the car must stop, if the pedestrian is crossing within 50m of a marked crossing but not necessarily on it?

JBN

For those that have poor retention of the copious rules that we are meant to follow, simplify as follows:

Stop if you hit a pedestrian or cyclist. If they show signs of life, select reverse.

Darwinian theory will produce smarter pedestrians and cyclists in the future.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    For those that have poor retention of the copious rules that we are meant to follow, simplify as follows:

Stop if you hit a pedestrian or cyclist. If they show signs of life, select reverse.

John

I feel it all gets back to common sense and courtesy. Don't step out and make the car driver take evasive action and for the driver, if you see someone on or close to a crossing, just stop.
    Simple really, think of your fellow man/woman.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

1000+ Posts

Default Perhaps tongue in cheek, but lemming laws to protect the errant..

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post

I feel it all gets back to common sense and courtesy. Don't step out and make the car driver take evasive action and for the driver, if you see someone on or close to a crossing, just stop.
    Simple really, think of your fellow man/woman.
    As long as the car driver behind you has the same courtesy values and is equally observant and ALSO stops, that commonsense works well in theory. Needs some minor adjustments in practice I'd say.

Must be part of a world wide Darwinian move to avoid lawbreaking - adjust the law to accommodate the cyclist lemming wish to ride against the flow of traffic.

Here the law is the same at marked crossing, the minute the pedestrian puts a foot on the crossing, the motorist must stop or at least not impede the safe progress of the pedestrian. What is puzzling is the exhortation for a driver to drive 5kph under the speed limit so that pedestrians can walk out from the kerbline anywhere without even taking the time to take the precaution of looking both ways then checking again for the presence of oncoming traffic, the theory is that you might be less likely to kill them, but, perhaps only maim them for life.

Of course SPEED kills, so in theory if the pedestrian stopped and looked rather than speeding onto the roadway this would save lives, and, prevent heart attacks, brown underpants and other sundry afflictions for car drivers as they brake to kill their reduced speeds and pray that the driver behind understands and is wiping off five (kph) too, rather than the car in front!!, the carefree pedestrian with obligatory child in pram, or the oncoming vehicle driver, too shocked to react

Mind you I am all for commonsense and courtesy, that is the element that urban cowboys seem to have either not been taught, or have abandoned once they get that 007 licence...!!

Interesting trend, I note that there is a bicycle anarchist group here who think the traffic laws should
    be amended to give them these basic human hedonist rights too.

Back to red flags walking in front of drivers, or horse dung on the roads!!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    can someone clarify what this 50m rule is? is it that the car must stop, if the pedestrian is crossing within 50m of a marked crossing but not necessarily on it?
    Pedestrians are allowed to cross wherever they like as long as there is no pedestrian crossing within 50 meters. There are restrictions though, such as speed zone. Normally the rule is valid in 40km/h zones or less.

The problem with giving way to pedestrians approaching crossigns is that you don't know whether they want to cross or not. In rather crowded areas it can become annoying stopping all the time ti find out the pedestrians are just storllign around with no intention to cross. That is why in the legislation I mentioned above it was required that the pedestrians actually step off the sidewalk to trigger your obligation as a driver to stop.

Keep in mind the low speed limit of such roads is a must.

In actual fact in Euroep such rules apply in areas of shopping malls, etc., where you wouldn't want to drive if you are actually going somewhere, so it is a ssumed that you have no reason to hurry.

Of course these days it has become rather complicated because traffic is no longer what it was 40 years ago. The response of European municipalities is in general to provide underground walkways so pedestrians no longer have much need to cross roads. All the major cities in Europe have vast underground networks of shops/streets where you can basically get lost for a long time. Another measure is that old city centers are car free, so pedestrians can walk wherever the heck they bloody well like (which is really enjoyable) completely carelessly.

The epitomy of this I have noticed in Switzerlad where the trolley bus (Neuchatel) and the tram (Zurich) run down the middle of the mall (somewhat like in Melbourne). They run so slowly though, pedestrians actually overtake. Don't use those lines if you want to get somewhere though, they're more like a really cheap city centre tour.

Cyclists are becoming the real danger (especially in Holland where they are indeed feral and they WILL knock you down if you're in their path, without stopping), and these days there are countries (Germany is one) where they have bicycle police (i.e. police whose only task is to supervise bicycle traffic). They will chase you on their bikes and can call car crews to help. It's really entertaining and fines can be over 500 euros (over 1000$) for offences like speeding (yes, speeding on a bicycle). Doesn't matter if you're underage (don't ask how I know).

We live interesting times, indeed.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Cyclists are becoming the real danger (especially in Holland where they are indeed feral and they WILL knock you down if you're in their path, without stopping), and these days there are countries (Germany is one) where they have bicycle police (i.e. police whose only task is to supervise bicycle traffic). They will chase you on their bikes and can call car crews to help. It's really entertaining and fines can be over 500 euros (over 1000$) for offences like speeding (yes, speeding on a bicycle). Doesn't matter if you're underage (don't ask how I know).

We live interesting times, indeed.
    Did they demand your license ?? I remember years ago.... hang on, it must be decades ago, as there were actually police on the roads... being pulled over for no helmet ... yet again And saying yet again "don't have a helmet, not getting another .... they keep getting stolen"... "don't have any money to keep replacing them".....

The police get really irate when another "John Smith" doesn't have there license "I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed a license to ride a bike ........ "

seeya,
    Shane L.,
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post

John
    RIGHT ON - I like that!

I do recall stepping onto a "pedestrian crossing" on the Rue des Anglaises in Nice some 30+ years ago in the naive belief that the (light at the time) traffic would respect my "priority". Faint b*****y chance: the friend (a local) in whose company we were was horrified, and smartly pulled me back from harms way.
    At the same time in the UK, drivers were very consistent in yielding to the "lesser" pedestrian form of life with whom they had to share the bitumen - a sharp contrast in attitudes indeed.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petitepoupée View Post
    RIGHT ON - I like that!

I do recall stepping onto a "pedestrian crossing" on the Rue des Anglaises in Nice some 30+ years ago in the naive belief that the (light at the time) traffic would respect my "priority". Faint b*****y chance: the friend (a local) in whose company we were was horrified, and smartly pulled me back from harms way.
    At the same time in the UK, drivers were very consistent in yielding to the "lesser" pedestrian form of life with whom they had to share the bitumen - a sharp contrast in attitudes indeed.
    Similarly, I was in Germany with a French relative. I made eye contact with the driver of an approaching car, and proceeded to step out onto the zebra crossing. The relative thought I was going to die and was astonished that the vehicle stopped. I was then lectured to NEVER try that approach to crossing a road in France!
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Did they demand your license ?? I remember years ago.... hang on, it must be decades ago, as there were actually police on the roads... being pulled over for no helmet ... yet again And saying yet again "don't have a helmet, not getting another .... they keep getting stolen"... "don't have any money to keep replacing them".....

The police get really irate when another "John Smith" doesn't have there license "I'm sorry, I didn't know I needed a license to ride a bike ........ "

seeya,
    Shane L.,
    In Germany they have ID cards at I think 14? And below that age, I am not sure, but I think you might have to be accompanied by someone over 14 (never seen someone that young on a bike without parents around). Not sure, but what I can assure you of is that the germans rarely leave anything to chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuego View Post

Here the law is the same at marked crossing, the minute the pedestrian puts a foot on the crossing, the motorist must stop or at least not impede the safe progress of the pedestrian. What is puzzling is the exhortation for a driver to drive 5kph under the speed limit so that pedestrians can walk out from the kerbline anywhere without even taking the time to take the precaution of looking both ways then checking again for the presence of oncoming traffic, the theory is that you might be less likely to kill them, but, perhaps only maim them for life.

Ken
    In NSW the law just states cars must give way to pedestrians at a crossing. Common courtesy says if someone is waiting to cross you should stop to let them, don't make them step onto the road before you stop.

Motorists generally are required to give way to pedestrians if there is danger of a collision. If you hit a pedestrian you will almost certainly be charged with neg driving (causing injury), it is very hard to prove you couldn't stop in time.

Greg
    Renault Megane sedan dCi 1.9 2007

David Brown 1973 885 synchromesh tractor.

Mitsubishi Lancer 1995

Honda sh150i scooter 2008

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    In the major cities now in some streets cyclists are allowed to ride against the traffic stream. Beware!
    That should keep the number of cyclists down, eventually.

Thread Information