Cyclone Yasi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Cyclone Yasi

Default Cyclone Yasi

Our thoughts are now with those in the path of Cyclone Yasi..
    Aussiefrogs have members living there and I have my Dad,sister & other family and friends
    in the firing line at Cairns...
    Fingers crossed.....

Advertisement
    Rev. Dogboy

1969 DS21 Pallas BVH with leather
    1970 Renault 16TS
    1967 Honda S800 cabrio
    Citroen 1970 DS21 Cabrio replica
    Citroen 1966 ID Safari (with 23 running gear)
    Citroen 1975 DS23 Safari
    1975 VW Kombi poptop
    1987 2CV
    Porsche Boxster S manual
    1988 Vespa PX200E

1000+ Posts

+1.

I have a relative bunkering down in Tolga, a little way inland from Cairns.

Lets hope the cyclone weakens quickly.
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

Lets hope it settles down and dies out quickly. Good luck to all far north Queenslanders.

It's looking worse with every half hour news bulletin.
    Current prediction is possible 24hours of very stormy conditions. They predict about 1000km of coastline to be in the direct line. That's amazing to say the least.
    It's apparently so large, the eye could take more than an hour to pass.
    I looked at the Willis Island Radar at about 6:30am today, it's not in service at the moment because the cyclone was passing it at 7am.
    Totally given up on any TV coverage as I truly believe they are just hamming it up to make themselves look better at reporting the situation. ABC Radio seems to be the best as there is no commercial content pushing them to up play the severity.

I am so gld I am nowhere near that area.

Cyclone Tracy that hit Darwin was a cat4 and there were sections of the town with absolutely nothing left standing for miles.

God bless or whoever anyone up there believes in and stay safe everyone.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Totally given up on any TV coverage as I truly believe they are just hamming it up to make themselves look better at reporting the situation. ABC Radio seems to be the best as there is no commercial content pushing them to up play the severity.
    I wish all the reisdents up there good luck and safety.

Reading the BOM website it really does look pretty serious.

Quote Originally Posted by BUREAU OF METEOROLOGY

Remarks:

SEVERE TC YASI IS A LARGE AND VERY POWERFUL TROPICAL CYCLONE AND POSES AN EXTREMELY SERIOUS THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY WITHIN THE WARNING AREA, ESPECIALLY BETWEEN CAIRNS AND TOWNSVILLE.

THIS IMPACT IS LIKELY TO BE MORE LIFE THREATENING THAN ANY EXPERIENCED DURING RECENT GENERATIONS.

TC Yasi, CATEGORY 5, will continue to move in a west-southwesterly direction during the day. The cyclone is expected to cross the coast in the Innisfail area at about midnight.

Coastal residents within the warning area, and particularly between Cairns and Ayr are specifically warned of an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS SEA LEVEL RISE [i.e. storm tide] as the cyclone approaches, crosses the coast and moves inland. The sea is likely to steadily rise up to a level which will be VERY DANGEROUSLY above the normal tide, with EXTREMELY DAMAGING WAVES, STRONG CURRENTS and FLOODING of low-lying areas extending some way inland. People living in areas likely to be affected by this flooding should take measures to protect their property as much as possible, and be prepared to follow instructions regarding evacuation of the area if advised to do so by authorities.

DAMAGING WINDS with gusts to 90 km/hr that are currently developing on coastal islands, are forecast to develop about the coast by late morning and about the tropical interior overnight.

Between Cape Tribulation and Ingham these winds will become DESTRUCTIVE with gusts in excess of 125km/hr during the afternoon and early evening and VERY DESTRUCTIVE with gusts up to 300 km/hr between Cairns and Ingham during the evening as the cyclone approaches and crosses the coast. These VERY DESTRUCTIVE winds can also occur on the seaward side of hills to the north of the cyclone and are also forecast to reach the Atherton Tablelands.

Winds are forecast to ease about the east coast during Thursday morning as the cyclone moves inland.

FLOODING RAINS will develop from Cooktown to Sarina during the afternoon and then extend inland overnight.
    People between Cape Melville and Sarina, extending inland to Croydon and Richmond should complete preparations quickly and be prepared to shelter in a safe place.
    - Boats and outside property should be secured.
    - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website (www.disaster.qld.gov.au)
    - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500 (for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage).

People about the remaining inland parts west to the Northern Territory border and north of Winton should consider what action they will need to take if the cyclone threat increases.
    - Information is available from your local government
    - For cyclone preparedness and safety advice, visit Queensland's Disaster Management Services website (www.disaster.qld.gov.au)
    - For emergency assistance call the Queensland State Emergency Service (SES) on 132 500 (for assistance with storm damage, rising flood water, fallen trees on buildings or roof damage).

I agree Richard, it looks very bad. It's not a case of if there is damage, just how severe it might be.
    You just feel so helpless sitting here so close yet feeling 1000's of miles away and totally helpless to do anything.

I can remember back in 74 when Wanda was looming helping my grandfather on the Cooloola coast taping and boarding all the windows. Luckily it didn't come that far south.

They are guessing it'll be a cat3 even when it hits Georgetown which is 400 odd km inland or something.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

That is looking properly ugly... Good luck to all up there.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

IDQ20018
    TROPICAL CYCLONE TECHNICAL BULLETIN: AUSTRALIA - EASTERN REGION
    Issued by BRISBANE TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNING CENTRE
    at: 0107 UTC 02/02/2011
    Name: Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi
    Identifier: 14U
    Data At: 0000 UTC
    Latitude: 16.4S
    Longitude: 149.9E
    Location Accuracy: within 15 nm [30 km]
    Movement Towards: west southwest [248 deg]
    Speed of Movement: 19 knots [35 km/h]
    Maximum 10-Minute Wind: 115 knots [215 km/h]
    Maximum 3-Second Wind Gust: 160 knots [295 km/h]
    Central Pressure: 922 hPa
    Radius of 34-knot winds NE quadrant: 190 nm [350 km]
    Radius of 34-knot winds SE quadrant: 250 nm [465 km]
    Radius of 34-knot winds SW quadrant: 260 nm [480 km]
    Radius of 34-knot winds NW quadrant: 190 nm [350 km]
    Radius of 48-knot winds NE quadrant: 90 nm [165 km]
    Radius of 48-knot winds SE quadrant: 130 nm [240 km]
    Radius of 48-knot winds SW quadrant: 130 nm [240 km]
    Radius of 48-knot winds NW quadrant: 60 nm [110 km]
    Radius of 64-knot winds: 40 nm [70 km]
    Radius of Maximum Winds: 15 nm [30 km]
    Dvorak Intensity Code: T6.0/6.5/D1.0/24HRS STT:S0.0/6HRS
    Pressure of outermost isobar: 1002 hPa
    Radius of outermost closed isobar: 240 nm [445 km]
    Storm Depth: Deep
    FORECAST DATA
    Date/Time : Location : Loc. Accuracy: Max Wind : Central Pressure
    [UTC] : degrees : nm [km]: knots[km/h]: hPa
    +12: 02/1200: 17.6S 146.5E: 045 [085]: 115 [215]: 922
    +24: 03/0000: 18.9S 143.2E: 075 [140]: 050 [095]: 976
    +36: 03/1200: 20.1S 140.3E: 110 [205]: 030 [055]: 990
    +48: 04/0000: 21.2S 137.8E: 140 [260]: 025 [045]: 999
    +60: 04/1200: 22.1S 135.8E: 185 [345]: 025 [045]: 998
    +72: 05/0000: 23.0S 134.6E: 230 [425]: 025 [045]: 996
    REMARKS:
    Following a period of rapid intensification overnight to category 5 intensity,
    Yasi has possibly steadied in the past 6 hours. Dvorak intensity: Eye pattern
    that had been based on W surround [6.0]and OW/W eye [0.5] adjustment has
    weakened to an LG surround [5.0] and OW/W [0.5]. Nevertheless time averaged DT
    is 6.0 and MET also at 6.0. CI held at 6.5. Max winds estimated at 115 knots
    supported by AMSU/SATCON estimates at 125kn [1min], although Willis Island
    pressure observations suggest a slightly weaker system.

The intensity is maintained through to landfall, given the environment of low
    shear and strong upper level outflow.

Motion remains steady west southwest at 18 knots which should persist through to
    landfall.

The combination of being intense, larger than normal [gales extending about
    250nm to the south] and the 18 knot motion is enhancing waves/swell and the
    storm tide potential. Much depends upon the timing of landfall [high tide is
    about 21:00EST] as to the overall tide impact which potentiall is significant.

Copyright Commonwealth of Australia
    ==
    The next bulletin for this system will be issued by: 02/0700 UTC by Brisbane
    TCWC.

SW quadrant: 260 nm [480 km]

Also wishing all the best to those affected... Stay safe...

dino

JBN

Its moments like this that I wish I had sold my holiday unit in Cairns. On the other hand, if it relocates to Mt Isa, there might be more demand for it.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so here are two. Note the size of Yasi superimposed over the USA.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyclone Yasi-yasi.jpg   Cyclone Yasi-yasi-2.jpg  

Has anyone noticed that although we humans think we are in charge around here, Mother Nature still rules the roost??

Good luck FNQ

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Good luck FNQ
    Says it all really - doesn't it?
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Just a quick question,did FNQ suffer much with the floods in Qld or were they spared and is this the first major thing up there in this years bad wet season ?
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

FNQ missed out on the floods..........but that's about to change.

JBN

It seems at this stage the Yasi didn't fulfill its worst scenario, thankfully. It is still too early to ascertain the extent of the damage.

Looking at a series of 44 photos on the SMH site, there are a number of "spectacular' photos of a damaged house in Innisfail, with various captions such as "house broken in two by Yasi" and "roof torn off house".

If you look carefully, ALL of the photos are of the same house. The house has recently been transported to its location after being cut in half so that it could be loaded onto and transported by a semi-trailer. It has then been placed onto stacks of railway sleepers. The intentions of what the next action would have been is unclear. Either it was to have been rejoined and placed on stumps OR it was just parked there awaiting removal to another destination. The following pictures were interspersed amongst the 44, so an unobservant viewer may have reached the conclusion that there were many damaged houses, rather than many photos of one damaged house.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but pictures, like words, can reflect whatever the author is trying to imply.

John

PS: I am sure there ARE many damaged houses. As they found out after Larry, one of the "benefits" of a big cyclone is that the old, non-cyclone proof houses suffer badly and are destroyed. However, the rebuilt cyclone proof houses give the people a better chance next time around. The government is also helpful in providing funds to those who suffer a house loss. Over time we learn to live with the threat that will always be with us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cyclone Yasi-yasi-3.jpg   Cyclone Yasi-yasi-4.jpg   Cyclone Yasi-yasi-5.jpg   Cyclone Yasi-yasi-6.jpg  

Banned

that is just so pathetic.

Hope the insurance company is as observant as JBN, as the property owner was on the telly tonight.
    A pile of sleepers does NOT make for a sturdy foundation, then again the house removalists have the problem and/or their insurers.
    Currently only property is damaged without loss of life or injury, going have to call my Uncle to find out if cousin and family are OK. He does an important job, Area Manager for Lion Nathan, must keep those beer's flowing!

Thoughts with those affected....tired of all the natural disasters....

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by iron oxide View Post
    Thoughts with those affected....tired of all the natural disasters....
    Relax, take a holiday in Egypt and and enjoy a man made disaster for a change.

John

Thread Information