Road accident statistics
  • Register
  • Help

Default Road accident statistics

The Tasmanian Government is threatening to reduce the speed limit on all Tasmanian roads except for the two main highways (Bass and Midland) from 100kph to 90 kph. The RACT is looking for submissions for presentation to the relevant government department. Would anyone provide me with leads to resource material to be included in a submission. I wish to come up with something better than "anyone who can't keep a car on the road at 100 kph shouldn't have a licence."

Advertisement
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

They'd be better off teaching people how to drive properly though...the standard of some of the locals is the poorest I've seen in the country.

My confidence in Tasmanian drivers is not increased when their learners booklet/test includes a requirement to complete an illegal turn of driving into a driveway and then backing out across a lane of traffic so that you're pointed in the direction you want to go...

as well as even police cars indicating a left turn at small roundabouts when they intend to drive straight through!

The prevalent practice of driving at 90kms/h in a 110 zone until you reach the overtaking lane where you speed up to 120kms, then return to 90km/h as soon as the overtaking lane finishes to ensure no one can pass you at a legal speed needs some attention too.

cutting in front of cars at slow speeds as you enter a carriageway, or just generally driving like you're the only car on the road and oblivious to all other traffic...even stopping for no reason in the middle of the road (!!!????) even the 110 zones (!!!) is also prevalent enough to be freaky scary!

Ok, most of that is annecdotal...but considering the fewer cars that are on the road down here, these and many more incidents of terrible driving are witnessed so frequently that I warn all visitors to the state to expect a local to do something that you would never expect in a million years to see on the mainland, and be ready to take defensive action at every moment...and almost all of them have to at some point of their short visits

I've driven 100s of 1000's of kms around Australia, and I am constantly left gobsmacked by the frequency of the stupidity and/or dangerous driving I see down here. It is disproportionatly high to the size and population of the state.

It's such a shame too, because Tassie has some of the best roads in the country!
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

Not to mention appalling nomenclature down there. Recent examples:

100kph
    100 kph
    100kms/h
    120kms

Salvation and refreshment lies finally in the correct 90km/h late in the second post...

Yours in pedantry,

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

lol ...I did my degree here...'nuff said lol
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

JBN

Di, after your summation of Tasmanian drivers, perhaps they should drop the idea of having a speed limit of 90, and instead restrict people from driving a car UNTIL they are 90.

Solves the overcrowding on roads, selfish road manners, stops speeding and reduces the road toll at the same time.

John

Dave, I assume you're referring to this thread, not Tasmanian speed signs? How hilarious would it be to go to court on the basis of how I'd interpreted a speed sign marked 110kms.

"Your honor, I was only doing a fraction of 1% of the marked speed limit!"
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

UFO

In my opinion you have some of the best roads in the country and certainly the least crowded - except when grey nomads have a huge "convention" prior to Easter....

As Di points out, the drivers are the problem. Every issue she mentioned we have witnessed numerous times on both trips to Tassie.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Motor accident statistics

My extensive driving experiences in SA, Vic. and Tas. (I hope my abbreviations do not offend the more pedantic of readers) lead me to believe that the driving habits in those states is not on average very dissimilar.

Back on topic, surely someone out there can assist in providing an efficient link (webwise - sorry about the grammar) to motor vehicle accident statistics.

I have been expecting "intelligent" comments such as " it is not leaving the road that is the problem but the solid object at the side of the road that inflicts the damage".
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by 68 404 View Post
    100kph
    Keystrokes per hour? Maybe they are trying to reduce the texting speed of people using their mobiles while driving.

Fellow Frogger!

Not to mention appalling nomenclature down there. Recent examples:

100kph
    100 kph
    100kms/h
    120kms

Salvation and refreshment lies finally in the correct 90km/h late in the second post...

Yours in pedantry,

Dave
    Wrong! It should be '90 km/h' rather than '90km/h'.

Stu

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceenine View Post
    My extensive driving experiences in SA, Vic. and Tas. (I hope my abbreviations do not offend the more pedantic of readers) lead me to believe that the driving habits in those states is not on average very dissimilar.

Back on topic, surely someone out there can assist in providing an efficient link (webwise - sorry about the grammar) to motor vehicle accident statistics.

I have been expecting "intelligent" comments such as " it is not leaving the road that is the problem but the solid object at the side of the road that inflicts the damage".
    Do the Tassie road authority (whoever they may be) have an accident database like VicRoads do with CrashStats?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu GTi6 View Post

Stu
    You think? The following is from the National Measurements Institute. I have cut and pasted the relevant section but feel free to check my sources...

http://www.measurement.gov.au/measur...stemWorks.aspx

When the prefixes are used, the prefix name and the unit name
    are combined to form a single word, and similarly the prefix
    symbol and the unit symbol are written without any space to
    form a single symbol, which may itself be raised to any power.
    For example, we may write: kilometre, km; microvolt, μV;
    femtosecond, fs; 50 V/cm = 50 V (10−2 m)−1 = 5000 V/m.

So Stu, I guess it is you who might be wrong?

Challenging a pedant. Interesting...

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

My apologies to the OP for my lack of due diligence when typing causing this thread to stray OT.
    Aus

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
    Keystrokes per hour? Maybe they are trying to reduce the texting speed of people using their mobiles while driving.

Stu
    Do the Tassie road authority (whoever they may be) have an accident database like VicRoads do with CrashStats?
    You think? The following is from the National Measurements Institute. I have cut and pasted the relevant section but feel free to check my sources...

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by Australdi View Post
    My apologies to the OP for my lack of due diligence when typing causing this thread to stray OT.

Oh brother ..........does it really get that boreing down in Tassie??

Fellow Frogger!

Dave
    Well that link confused the hell out of me, but I still think I'm right...

If you re-read my post, I was saying that you need a space between the value and the unit, so it's '90 km/h' and not '90km/h'. This is the case for the '50 volts per centimetre' example in your post which reads '50 V/cm' and not '50V/cm'. As the excerpt you quoted correctly notes, when the 'micro' prefix is used, the unit is 'μV' and not 'μ V'.

Stu.

p.s. I hope to hell I'm right on this one, or I'll look like a right dick!

I often have this conversation in my head where I am trying to convince authorities to leave the speed limits alone (usually when I drive to work) and always lose the argument.

I don't think people are prepared to admit reality which is that most of us take driving just like another chore to be done with as easily as possible with as little effort as possible.

The best system I came up with is one where speed limits do not apply to roads but to people. Say you want a basic licence. take the normal test, you're qualified to drive but no faster than a certain limit (say 60). Want to go faster? take the next test that will validate your skill and you get another licence. And so on. You are then allowed to decide how fast you want to go and how much you want to pay for it. Testing can cost increasingly more as complexity dictates to the point that would make it prohibitively expensive to have a licence for say 250km/h. Cars would then be marked with the speed limit the driver is qualified to do, so there is a clear indication it is not a good idea to challenge to a drag race the guy next to you if they have the red 100 marker and you only have the green 60 on your car (think somehting like the "L" or "P" plates).

This way, you know very well that if you want to drive on the freeway, you need the 110 permit, otherwise it's back roads or train for you.

How many people here would pay then for all these permits? How fast do you want to go?

Well, you see then, that's why the authorities think the best way to ensure safety is to lower the speed limit.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 4th February 2011 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 59 Floride View Post
    Oh brother ..........does it really get that boreing down in Tassie??
    Yes life is very boring in Tasmania reading responses regarding kph vs km/h.
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Well, you see then, that's why the authorities think the best way to ensure safety is to lower the speed limit.
    Trouble is it won't stop people hooning at 170 kph, going to sleep at the wheel (it may indeed increase that problem), reaching down to get the mobile phone from the hand bag, ogling at a short skirt walking past, not slowing down for reduced road conditions, not slowing for a corner, failing to give way at an intersection, driving into a cyclist, driving with inadequate tyre tread and all the other major contributors to deaths on the road apart from those that can't drive safely at 100 kph on a first class road such as between Benalla and Shepparton or Burnie and Rosebery or Hawker and Wilpena Pound. What a joke!
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

Fellow Frogger!

Icon4

Hmmnn - I love it!

18% increase in the speed limit (55 to 65 mph, or 88 to 104 kph) reduces accidents by 12%

So, increasing the 88 kph speed limit by a mere 131%, to 203 kph, will reduce accidents by almost half (47%).

And, a little more ambitiously, to reduce accidents by 75%, you just raise the speed limit to 553 kph (528%).
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Quote Originally Posted by TimOzSF View Post
    Hmmnn - I love it!

18% increase in the speed limit (55 to 65 mph, or 88 to 104 kph) reduces accidents by 12%

So, increasing the 88 kph speed limit by a mere 131%, to 203 kph, will reduce accidents by almost half (47%).

And, a little more ambitiously, to reduce accidents by 75%, you just raise the speed limit to 553 kph (528%).
    It's true. Look at the RTA statistics and there are 0 accidents at 553 km/h
    206 GTi 2003
    VW Golf 118TSI 2009 ( the wife's)
    Bedford CF 1980
    Valiant VJ Ranger 1974
    "Driving a 206GTi makes you feel like you're 18" Jeremy Clarkson

Thread Information