Scam alert -"Windows Care"
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    1000+ Posts

Default Scam alert -"Windows Care"

Hi All

Some crowd called Windows Care called me to tell me my computer was infected and that I should go to a website and log on. Said I was busy and could I call them back. They said yes and gave me their number (02 9037 2751).

I called the ACCC instead.

The scam is that they gain access to your computer jiggle it a bit so that it has virus like symptoms then they sell you the program to rid your machine of the "virus" they put on.

And of course they gain have access to your computer...

Stay Safe

P

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks, p

Good warning,

Regards,

fento

I get at least one of those calls a day...sometimes two! :O

I've had some success with playing with their minds ...one I asked to stay on the line so the fedral police could trace the call...and got out of her that the office was in Albert road opposite Albert park but she freaked out when I asked for what number building and hung up.

Today's one said they were in Sydney...was super confident until I asked "so you're actually with microsoft?" ...ahh yes...was the slightly more hesitant reply..."so what location?" ah..umm...sydney... "where in Sydney" ah....um...freak out eek and the *click*

I dunno, they keep hanging up on me.
    Aus
    ".....the good health of a pond is held in a delicate balance. A pond's condition
    deteriorates when the bottom environment cannot support animal life.
    The bottom is the area that runs out of oxygen first, it is where the most oxygen is used........"

'84 fuego GTX
    '87 fuego GTX
    '85 fuego GTX
    ....beginning to look a bit frightning isn't it.

I have two very powerful answers to this - live in a non-English speaking country and run your computers under Linux. However I got caught out by a similar scam on the Net. I followed a Google path searching for a manual for a Chinese 50cc moped engine - as one does. When I opened the site there was no apparent sign of the manual but an invitation to move to another page. When I clicked on this some code was downloaded which started a scan of my computer and planted some pseudo viruses. A screen popped up and told me that my computer was infected and that for just 39.95 $US they would download a product to clean it up! I closed the browser, Firefox, and checked the real situation with Nortons Utilities and their anti virus. Utilities reported that a Registry entry had been altered! I used utilities to reverse the changes and it finally convinced me to give up on Microsoft.
    I now have all my working computers including this one running on Ubuntu and peace has broken out. I retain an XP and a Vista machine for checking my web site designs on Microsoft browsers and that's it.
    Apart from anything else, it is all much cheaper and infinitely easier to keep the sharks outside the net.
    I am running a Forum and every day I get attempts to register new users from eastern european countries (according to their email address). Generally they have the reverse DNS blocked so that I cannot chase their origins.

I got a beautiful Nigerian scam letter yesterday purporting to come from an English lady dying of cancer. She was writing from her laptop in hospital and having looked after her children in her will, still had some 20 million dollars US (?) to bequeath to someone who would use it for charitable purposes. Of course, I rushed off my bank details to her email address and wished her a painless parting. On reflection, I don't actually need this money so if any members of the Forum would like to send me the account details of their favourite charity, I will send it on when it arrives.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Fellow Frogger!

I was still figuring out what to do with the US $9.8M that I had been awarded courtesy of the FIFA world cup via an SMS on the weekend, when, Lo and behold, I scored another US $9.8M from the World Bank today, again via SMS!!!
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Quote Originally Posted by TimOzSF View Post
    I was still figuring out what to do with the US $9.8M that I had been awarded courtesy of the FIFA world cup via an SMS on the weekend, when, Lo and behold, I scored another US $9.8M from the World Bank today, again via SMS!!!

Gee, and all I ever get are emails from 27 year old russian bride wanna bes and ads for Viagara........(personal note to self "stop looking at adult sites")

Now go make me a sandwich Hotrodelectric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TimOzSF View Post
    With our current debt assumed to be $13Trillion (!!), you sure that wasn't our government tossing some stimulus money at you?
    The measure of your character isn't what you do when people are watching- it's what you do when they aren't watching.

1000+ Posts

13 Trillion? That can't be right.

At a 5% interest rate we'd be paying $650 billion alone in interest repayments, nearly 2/3 of the entire GDP of the Wide Brown Land!

Hard to believe on those figures we'd keep a Tripple A credit rating...

Some figures have government debt at around $900b and including personal debt, total debt might get to around $3 tril. But remember a lot of personal debt in Oz relates to home loans.

Another figure has Australia's public debt at between 150-160% of GDP which sounds alarming but is pretty much on par with the debt burden carried by most developed countries.

Now where did I put that credit card...

P

Ex, HRE is referring to his homeland of the brave and free.

Still a terrifying figure....
    Care factor = -273.15ºC

Just tell them you use proper computers, not microsoft trash
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go View Post

Although how "free" you can be with that much debt is topic of much conjecture...

1000+ Posts

Dear oh dear. You guys just don't get the 'free market'.

Borrow $1m that's your problem but borrow $100b that's someone else's problem.

Worked for Noway (or was it Iceland), worked for Ireland, worked for Spain. Should work for us or should that read the US...

The farmers around here live by it. The banks lent and lent and lent against the family farm to support them through the hard years. If the banks start foreclosing now property values will plummet and the bank's exposure keeps growing. The old farmers boast that they never went past year nine or ten but they got smart enough somewhere along the line to catch the banks on the hip.

Borrowing today for tomorrow's bargin,

P
    Last edited by Exfrogger; 20th January 2011 at 10:01 PM.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Gerry,

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I have two very powerful answers to this - live in a non-English speaking country and run your computers under Linux........I now have all my working computers including this one running on Ubuntu and peace has broken out.........
    Often thought of going down this track, Linux that is, but then there are all those favourite windoze programs.....

How do you handle this problem Gerry ?

cheers,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day Gerry,

Often thought of going down this track, Linux that is, but then there are all those favourite windoze programs.....

How do you handle this problem Gerry ?

cheers,
    Bob
    If you must there is always Wine, the program that creates a Microsoft shell within Linux.
    I use Open Office, Firefox, Skype, Apache, MySql, Thunderbird, and the Gimp on both platforms. Ubuntu handles hard disks in M/s formats although it refers to them as weak data structures. With Samba, Linux machines run as members of a Ms network. For programming Linux has easier and cheaper editing and compiling tools. You are largely isolated from Microsoft O/S virus attacks and it has its own free virus management in ClamAV. Ubuntu is much faster to load and run than even Windows 7 and so you extend the life of older computers. The free Linux support is not just helpful, it is friendly.
    The only issue that has bothered me is that of drivers. Epson for example do not support Linux and the drivers that have been written by others have limited functionality in managing high quality colour printing on the older models.

If you want to try Ubuntu go to their site Ubuntu.org and download their latest version, which comes as an .iso file. Write this as a disk copy, not a file copy to a CD or DVD. You now have a program disk which self boots and will install the O/S in memory only so that you can try it without disturbing your Windows installation. If you like it, you can do a permanent install alongside Windows so that when you boot you make the choice each time or you can configure a machine completely in Linux, which I prefer. The install asks you for a password creation, keyboard type, language and then identifies all the features of the computer and its environment and configures accordingly. To access the net it needs your id and addresses.

XTC

Sounds familiar ...

Windows Internet Security Scam

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

thanks Gerry, might have a go at that one.

Will HAVE to be able to run wordperfect... :-)

actually, reckon that there's an old version here somewhere that's Linux friendly, maybe ver 8 ?

cheers,
    Bob

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poo-Go View Post

Ooops, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    G'day,

thanks Gerry, might have a go at that one.

Will HAVE to be able to run wordperfect... :-)

actually, reckon that there's an old version here somewhere that's Linux friendly, maybe ver 8 ?

cheers,
    Bob
    There was a version 8;2 for Linux but they gave up. Open Office is much more Linux friendly being an Open code. It opens WP files but you have to save in a .doc or other more popular format. WP does run under Wine.

I must admit I don't mind Word 2011 for Mac - actually a decent bit of software.

I have a copy of Windoze 7 running in Virtualbox, but only out of curiosity. Its just looks and feels so dated and amateurish - Ubuntu looks much neater.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

We only connected our house phone a couple of weeks ago and have been getting constant calls from outside the country.... (keep missing them)....

Well I'll be damned if it wasnt' this scam. 2days after the phone was connected they started ringing.... Not very nice people, he hung up on me after telling me to "f#ck off"....sigh.... I did string him along for nearly 20minutes though Get this, he went off his face abusing me because I was wasting his time Yes I was wasting a scammers time, not him wasting my time

He got really p!$$ed as I kept asking which PC is was here..... Especially when I finally said "but I only have linux machines here, how can I be sending out windows errors" .... I was being so nice and helpful and copped a ear full of abuse for no reason

I wonder if I'll be added to a "do not call" list over in india now I think I'll disconnect the phone again, only charities and bloody scammers ever ring it anyway.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

I love it.

I usuall like to say "just a minute I'll get the person you're after then leave the phone on the counter until I get around to needing it again.

I really would like to string one of these guys along, ask him for his account details etc record the whole show then post it to YouTube. Mean spirited I know, but I have my bad days too...

P

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

Default One from Belgium

ATTENTION !!Arnaques sureBAY...... ATTENTION si vous achetez sur eBay !
    Mon voisin me dit avoir dépensé 60€ sur eBay pour un "Agrandisseur de Pénis", les salauds lui ont envoyé une loupe...
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day Gerry,

does linux have a substitute for VB6 ? and, if so, how does it stack up ? the stand alone animal, not the one that you use inside MS products.

thanks,
    Bob

Yes see
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml
    but it is pretty pointless because Linux is written in C and incorporates compilers and editors within implementations like Ubuntu. There are loads of third part visual and other coompilers for C in Linux.As it is open system software, with programming skills you can modify any feature you want and write new applications in C or C++. There are also scripting languages like Perl that are free and very powerful.
    gerry (from Hyderabad)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    Yes see
    http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/basic.shtml
    but it is pretty pointless because Linux is written in C and incorporates compilers and editors within implementations like Ubuntu. There are loads of third part visual and other coompilers for C in Linux.As it is open system software, with programming skills you can modify any feature you want and write new applications in C or C++. There are also scripting languages like Perl that are free and very powerful.
    gerry (from Hyderabad)
    I'm not sure what he is trying to do, but Cpan will have a huge amount of "modules" to just plug in and use if he uses perl. Eg: Australia post barcode ... just download the package and your away

If you going to use linux..... You have a huge range of stuff. For short and simple you could even use awk/shell/sed/sort/command line tools.

If you have mass data processing to do, 'C' is the way to go. We still use 'C' at work (char based in linux). To get the same throughput using something like Java/VB/.net, you would probably need to double the capacity of the server.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information