Cylinder Liner Clamping Tool and Fluid for Cleaning top of Cylinderr Block
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Cylinder Liner Clamping Tool and Fluid for Cleaning top of Cylinderr Block

Hi

I've been reading my workshop manual for my Renault 15TS in preparation for changing the head gasket and it mentions two things I don't know where to get.

The first is a cylinder liner clamp to hold the cylinder liners in place while the head is off the block.

The second is a fluid used to clean off the old head gasket from the top of the engine block.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan

Advertisement

UFO

Can you not just fashion something out of metal plate or wood and use the headbolts (perhaps with packing) to hold it all in place?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Default Cylinder clamp...

Quote Originally Posted by 120L View Post
    Hi

I've been reading my workshop manual for my Renault 15TS in preparation for changing the head gasket and it mentions two things I don't know where to get.

The first is a cylinder liner clamp to hold the cylinder liners in place while the head is off the block.

The second is a fluid used to clean off the old head gasket from the top of the engine block.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Alan

Alan,
    To clamp down cyl liners. Four large flat washers [shock absorber washers]. Use four head bolts with tube spacers or obtain short bolts with cylinder head bolt thread.
    The flat washers to overlap the liner.

To remove old gasket from head and block. Gasket Stripper product is available. Alternatively use paint stripper.
    Great care to be taken, gloves, glasses etc.
    Plug holes in block and carefully remove gasket with a wooden scraper to avoid scratching gasket face.
    Do not use flap wheel or similar.

The liner retainer as seen in your manual? Was a special Renault workshop tool.

+1 on the washers for a clamp.
    I've only ever used a stanley knife blade for removing any residual gasket bits.
    Make sure you are extremely careful getting the bulk of the gasket off as it does stick and if you don't clamp down the liners before you go to get it off, you'll likely break a bottom seal. I clamp down, then just take off all gasket I can get to then shift my clamp washers to another spot then remove whats left. Tuprs or kero will do to get any last nits off. Paint prep liquid cleans ready for the new gasket.
    I always use permatex aircraft sealant around the cam casing section{licorice}. It ensures it stays put and helps prevent any oil leaks.
    good luck with it.

Was this the abandonded R15 from a few weeks ago? If it were up here, i'd have fought you for it
    It isn't a R17 but as close as I am likely to get these days.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Yes to washers and spacers. I also have a set of clamps for the table of my milling machine that do the job perfectly.
    I use a Stanley knife and acetone.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I use a Stanley knife and acetone.
    On your baguette in the morning
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Well, I have to get the pigeon poo off somehow.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Or even more elegant, get a suitable length of flat steel about 4cm wide, bend it slightly in a wavy fashion and clamp with headbolts, such that it only bears down on liners. Wide washers bent at 90 degrees can ensure that the flat steel doesn't slide down. Two of these are as good as the factory tool.

I have ground a bit the bottom where the flat steel would have touched the block just to make sure there will be no marks left.

If you are careful you can make the clamp such that is out of the way and you can pull pistons out or put them back in with the clamp attached.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Many Thanks

Thanks for the advice.

As always I can rely on you guys to answer my question and I really appreciate it.

It makes owning French cars a pleasure.

Regards

Alan

Old gasket remains can be removed either buying Acetone at a hardware shop, or by nail-polish remover (which contain acetone anyway). A small bottle of that costs a massive $3.50 in Coles. Just use the blue petrol and chemical-resistant gloves that are sold in Woolies...."Hurricane" brand, I think. It's barely believable that women use acetone on their nails !
    I use one pair of gloves on top of another when using acetone !
    Last edited by Beano; 24th January 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Thread Information