Going Solar?
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Going Solar?

XTC

Default Going Solar?

If so, watch out for 2 suppliers who tried to rip a family member off recently.

http://www.impulsesolar.com.au/
    http://www.modernsolar.com.au/

They offered quotes 2-3 times higher than 4 other competitors - and when faced being asked the question why their system was "3 times the price of the others? - here are the other quotes and the equipment list - they couldn't get out of there fast enough (I think they were looking for the hidden camera crew in the bushes).

They work on the basis they might just get you to sign then and there ... and then it's too late.

Advertisement

A bit more research revealed this practice is not uncommon. (probably targeting pensioners and anyone they feel they can pressure to sign) ... it's a one off shot though.

So it's buyer beware ... you have been warned. Shop around.

I'm sure the parent companies will say "all of our operators are independent franchises and they set pricing as they see fit" ... But as the parent company I'd be worried rogue operators are tarnishing their reputation.

EDIT ... Seems these are the same company (along with Yes Solar) pretending to be separate ones.

Lots of comments on this Whirlpool thread http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1517473

Inc info about cooling off periods.

"Cooling off periods vary from state to state WA no cooling off period applies, Victoria is 10 days from customer's reciept of paperwork, NSW is 5 days from customer's reciept of paperwork, QLD is 10 days from verbal acceptance, SA no cooling off period applies, TAS is 10 days from reciept of deposit, ACT 10 days from customer's reciept of paperwork."
    Last edited by XTC; 16th January 2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Extra info:

Quote Originally Posted by XTC View Post
    Inc info about cooling off periods.

"Cooling off periods vary from state to state WA no cooling off period applies, Victoria is 10 days from customer's reciept of paperwork, NSW is 5 days from customer's reciept of paperwork, QLD is 10 days from verbal acceptance, SA no cooling off period applies, TAS is 10 days from reciept of deposit, ACT 10 days from customer's reciept of paperwork."
    This could be a bit misleading - following quote from WA Consumer Protection:

" Door to door sales
    Special laws protect people from door-to-door salespeople
    The major benefit of the Door to Door Trading Act 1987 is that it gives you a 10-day cooling-off period on goods or services worth more than $50. This means you can cancel the contract during this time with no penalty.
    The laws exist because it has been shown that consumers are more vulnerable to sales offers when they are in their own home.
    The Act also applies in other circumstances where salespeople make unsolicited approaches to potential customers, such as in car parks or shopping centre malls.
    You will not get this extra protection (the cooling-off period) if:

You don't meet the seller face-to-face at any stage;
    You've answered a general advertisement (e.g. in a newspaper);
    You've invited the salesperson to your home (unless the salesperson sought your invitation); or
    You are in business and buy goods and services for your own company. "

As far as I know, cooling off in WA only applies to door-to-door sales and also the Fitness Industry. The trick is - did you invite the salesperson to your home or did they seek your invitation? For instance, I completed a form in a shopping centre promotion for Modern Roofing Restoration (same company???) and got a call from them saying I had won $500 off and I got them to come around and quote. They quoted what I thought was pretty high, with a discount valid for that day only, I accepted and had the job done. Later found I could have got it for about half that price, but I needed the job done anyway, and fortunately 12 years later it is still a good job. However, I vowed never to do business with Modern again, and every time I see them in a shopping centre the poor salesperson gets my story so they know what happens in their company. I think I could have invoked the cooling off period in that case, but got it done anyway.
    The sales ploy of "this great discount only applies today" is the bad bit, in my opinion. I have vowed never to accept that again, unless I have already had other quotes and know how it compares.

It seems that with the current craze in roof top solar, the Modern group is up to its old tricks (and I am only assuming it is the same group of companies because they have a go at everything). How a big "reputable" company gets away with it beats me, but there is no law about over-charging people, I suppose.

Cheers.
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

My mum nearly got stung by a solar company from WA.

She paid her money and then after some delay and an informed second opinion by an independent engineer, it became obvious she had been had.

The quote was correct IF the roof got full sun, but as we found out at the later inspection, would have required cutting down the very tree that keeps the house shaded and cool in summer.
    On this basis she questioned the wildly exaggerated claims which led to the signing of the contract, and the credentials of their sales expert that originally did the energy audit and drew up the contract (who it turns out had no more engineering experience than an in house training course), mum somehow managed to get a full refund from the company.
    Go mum!!!!!

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Icon13

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    ... the credentials of their sales expert that originally did the energy audit and drew up the contract (who it turns out had no more engineering experience than an in house training course)...
    Was discussing dodgy sales pitches with someone a few years ago. Turned out that he had applied for a sales rep position with this group (for roller shutters/security screens?). He got through as far as the initial training course, but decided his conscience couldn't handle the "sales techniques" being taught, especially after an overview of the script the phone sales team used to "reel in" the prospects so that they would "invite" a sales visit, thus negating the cooling off period.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

somewhere! Pilbara, Bowen Basin, Melbourne?

End of the day you can charge what ever price you want for your goods and services, it up to the consumer to decide if the price is to high or to low.
    But if the consumers are stupid, they are stupid, and some will look for these types, either at over priced rates or under priced rates they always win.
    John
    Александър Кристоф Шанел

JBN

There is always someone who can provide a similar service or sell a similar product for a bit less than the market rate. Those people that consider price alone are this man's fair game.

John

We aren't bothered by solar sales folk because over 'ere we don't get any.

Or any sun.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Modern Solar and Impulse Solar are the same company. Someone at work found out the hard way.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Default Good independent article on solar PV grid connect installation

Hi fellow AF'ers - if you are after an independent set of articles on the why's & where fors for solar PV installation and what to do/expect of an installer - see the current edition of ReNew which this time has a major set of solar articles in it. (Published by the Alternate Technology Association - should be in most news agents).
    Disclaimer - I did write some of it, but I don't make any money out of it!
    Cheers
    Only19
    Who needs brakes? They only slow you down ....

There is a very good website www.energymatters.com.au which has a forum. The forum is an excellent place to do research prior to purchasing. I have done much research into this field and can tell that if you want solar, and have decided on what size system, you will find all the reputable suppliers to be around the same price. The component cost is about the same and the install cost is the main area of any discrepency and should not be that much different either. If you get a quote that is very low - beware, and if you get a quote that is high - beware.
    I have been looking at 3.5kW systems in WA and expect to pay around $12K (with credits). Prices may fluctuate from 11 to 13, but you are always best going with a company that has demonstrated itself to be credible and don't worry so much about paying a little extra. If you are worried about $1000 difference on a $12000 job, you probably cant afford it anyway. No one ever regretted buying quality.
    Good researching!

2011 Peugeot 207 HDi Touring Outdoor

2004 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 Manual.

Past: 1953 Thames 100E van, 1966 Austin 1800, 1972 XA Falcon V8, 1973 Peugeot 504,
    1984 Mitsubishi Colt, Holden HX Kingswood, 1983 Toyota Corolla XX, 1988 Toyota Corolla 4WD, 2007 Peugeot 307XSE. + various company Falcauriodores.

Next: 2007 Peugeot 407HDi Coupe

Thread Information