camera lenses and mould ?
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default camera lenses and mould ?

Has anybody heard of a great product to stop mould especially here in Brissie.
    The usual is silica gel [where can one buy this stuff ] however there must be some you beaut product around.
    Anybody with some tips ?
    cheers in anticipation.

Advertisement
    jr20516v

Now:
    Exige SC [modded], 205 Si. Opel OPC

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

UFO

I was reading something about this yesterday. You can buy proper silica gel from chemists. When it changes colour you can gently dry it in the oven and use it again.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

I am using silica gel atm [raided from electonics boxes over the years ] however i Googled and some ppl even say dont use it as it reacts with lense coatings which will then attract mould !!

You would think in this hi tech world that somebody has invented a product to stop mushrooms from growing in your camera gear eh ?
    jr20516v

Now:

Previous: Honda EP3 Supercharged , 205 x34 [ including MI16 TURBO, 8v TURBO, CTI, 16V+TB's, 8V+TB's,] Fiat X1-9 X3, Beta coupes x5, Lancia Gamma coupe, GTI-R, Corvette C4, Fiero x5, Alpine GTA turbo, r5 GTT Dimma, 2cv ripple nose, Lotus Elise, 205 Dimma TT, Cliosport 172.x2, Clio rs 200

UFO

Um, yeah I knew I read it somewhere. Follow the link.....

Red fluid and the tropics
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

I know this won;t help you if you are without power but when I lived in Singapore I bought a small de-humidifying cabinet called a dry cabinet and store all the camera gear in there. It fits under the computer desk and is about 40-50cm wide with shelves (3). Back then (1998) it was a few hundred dollars. AM-PRO is the brand name badge on the door.

Now I'm back in Sydney, I still store the camera gear in there, just don't plug it in. Having said that, I just glanced at the Hygrometer built into the door and it is just into the red on the scale (65% humidity).
    KB
    KB

When I lived in Rabaul, I used to keep my camera gear in large tupperware type containers with bags of silica gel.
    Some houses had small heaters in each of the wardrobes which were to stopp the clothes from going musty, and you could store your gear above one of these heaters.
    IIRC you could touch the heaters. they didnt get hot. They were very low wattage.

Decca
    Present --2016 2008Outdoor / 2014 RAV4 Diesel (My utilitarian beast, now with A/T tyres...)

Past -- 19?? 403 / 1974 504GL / 1972 R12TL / 1995 405SRi / 1997 406ST / 1998 306XT / 2004 406HD1 / 2008 308XSE HDi / 2008 307XSE

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mudguard View Post
    Basically to stop fungus from growing inside your lenses you have to remove the elements that allow it to grow - moisture. It's not the outside elements of the lens you have worry about it is the internal elements that can only be reached by disassembling the lens. You may well find a anti fungal treatment but how will you apply it to the element surfaces inside the lens and would it affect the coatings of the qualities of the lens elements.
    Stop it from growing in the first place by removing moisture from the lenses storage environment. Silica gel that can be reused and has an indicator feature is cheap, reusable and effective.
    You can buy it from chemists ( I don't know why).
    Or move to a dryer climate !
    Steve
    Steve, if you read my post correctly you will see that i did not ask for the why and how of fungus. Any person knows why it happens however the question was....in this hi-tech world has anybody found a you beaut product to do the job [other than silica gel which at times gets bad press ]
    jr20516v

Now:

1000+ Posts

De humidification cabinet is the best answer for protecting valuable lenses. Some use plastic bags and silica gels to control moisture in stored cameras.

depends upon how much you value your collection or equipment.

While I was in Sweden, I always carried a plastic bag to protect the camera from extreme wet weather, in the hope of preventing water damage, but if it got damp, then the plastic bag could make the problem worse in the short term.

Some photographers use water tight pelican style equipment cases and silica gel to protect equipment both in use and storage.

Ken

JBN

When I was stationed in Townsville in the army in the late 60s, in each of our wardrobes there was a 60W light globe protected by a grill at the bottom. This incandescent light produced enough heat to keep the humidity at bay. It was left on 24/7 from November to Easter (the wet season).

This wasn't to protect cameras lens, but rather to stop mould on shoes, boots and particularly brass. In effect it worked as a dehumidity cabinet.

During the Vietnam War, I carried a Super8 Movie camera in a pouch attached to my belt. At the end of the wet season (October), the lens had fingers of fungus and was hard to see though and the motor was running slower (giving the effect of people moving quicker). I sent it back to base (Nui Dat) and an artillery artificer pulled it apart, fixing both problems. They were constantly attending to artillery aiming sights and removing fungus from them, so they knew what they were doing.

John

Thread Information