Fixing/replacing a trailer tyre - advice please...
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Fixing/replacing a trailer tyre - advice please...

When it comes to my 306 there are no issues when it comes to wheels and tyres....but when it comes to a trailer I need a bit of advice please.

I just bought a second hand boat trailer today. It was a decent price but a few hours after arriving home I noticed that I had a flat tyre. So how do you go about fixing a flat tyre on a trailer ? Do I take it to the local tyre place and have it replaced ? Can you buy these things at the local autoshop ? I have no idea to be honest. Its only a 10" tyre. It's a single axel unbraked trailer with a GVM of 1250kg.

Advertisement

Cheers

Loosen the wheel nuts, jack up the axle and remove the wheel nuts and then take the wheel to your tyre dealer for them to rectify the problem.

1000+ Posts

Default ??

Hi
    Perhaps the problem is the wheel is not bolt on to a hub !! That is, the wheel itself is an alloy casting incorporating the the hub also. Often fitted to small boat trailers. If so then you will still have to take it off to fix it, or for a tire shop to fix it. It is similar to taking off any other undriven wheel hub on a car.

Jack it up. Pull the bearing cap off, take out the split pin, undo the axle nut. Take the washer and outer bearing off with the hub as you pull it off. Put the greasy bits in a clean rag. The inner bearing and seal should stay fitted to the hub/wheel.
    Plug the axle hole on each side of the hub/wheel with rag or paper to keep clean and make it easier to work with. Now take it to a tire shop or whatever to fix the puncture or replace as determined.

Note there is a correct procedure to set the axle nut when refitting. It should be tightened lightly by hand to settle the bearings in place then backed off by one flat or sufficent to fit the split pin to the slot. The aim is a tiny amount of clearance. When you refit the wheel perhaps its a good time to look at the bearings and regrease as necessary. Most boat trailers have dodgy bearings from the salt water getting in. Clean new water resistant grease helps. Look at the bearings in the wheel on the other side also also!! Good luck.

jaahn
    Last edited by jaahn; 29th December 2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: more info

1000+ Posts

Default ??

Hi
    Perhaps the problem is the wheel is not bolt on to a hub !! That is, the wheel itself is an alloy casting incorporating the the hub also. Often fitted to small boat trailers. If so then you will still have to take it off to fix it, or for a tire shop to fix it. It is similar to taking off any other undriven wheel hub on a car.

Jack it up. Pull the bearing cap off, take out the split pin, undo the axle nut. Take the washer and outer bearing off with the hub as you pull it off. Put the greasy bits in a clean rag. The inner bearing and seal should stay fitted to the hub/wheel.
    Plug the axle hole on each side of the hub/wheel with rag or paper to keep clean and make it easier to work with. Now take it to a tire shop or whatever to fix the puncture or replace as determined.

When you refit the wheel perhaps its a good time to look at the bearings and regrease as necessary. Most boat trailers have dodgy bearings from the salt water getting in. Clean new water resistant grease helps. Look at the bearings in the wheel on the other side also also!! Good luck.

jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by arunine View Post
    Loosen the wheel nuts, jack up the axle and remove the wheel nuts and then take the wheel to your tyre dealer for them to rectify the problem.
    or if it a typical boat trailer, undo the hub because the wheel nuts are rusted hard and will never undo, and deal with the pair(hub wheel) as a single unit.
    When fixing up boat trailers, its always worth considering just replacing the part with new. There comes a point where it is more economical and less hassle to do so.

Jo

Unless they are 10" mini wheels (in which case they will probably be very rusty and best thrown out) it is probably fitted with alloy trailer wheels with integrated bearings as Jaahn suggested.

In my experience those wheels are not very reliable and more trouble that they are worth. At 1.24tonne they are probably overloaded and have a tendency to give bearing problems on a longer trip. The combination of very high rotation speeds, being so small, and salt water in the bearings are not a good mix. Not easy to fit a spare by the roadside either.

The other problem is that the tyres available are usually of doubtful quality and tend to be old and cracked from age.

My advise would be to replace them with conventional hubs and bolt on wheels. 13" or 14" wheels will be much more reliable and easier to maintain.
    Michael
    Member, Citroen Car Club NSW

DS23 Pallas 5 sp. "Francoise" , BX19TRi Auto "Jacques Dutronc" , Teardrop Trailer "The Toad", BMW R65 "Rosamund"
    In the past: Renault 750, Dauphine, R4, R8, R10, Peugeot 504 Familiale, ID 19 (x2), Safari (x2)

Fellow Frogger!

Hi all, many thanks for all the kind replies.

The wheel is a regular wheel with the bearings separate. I've taken the wheel off and will take it to a tyre place. Despite the age of the trailer the wheel and hubs seem to be very clean so i suspect they were replaced not to long ago. The wheel nuts came off easy with no rust.

michaelr, thx for your message. I'll call your place to see if they are open this week. All the best on the DS. It's on my "one day if I can afford it list"

Cheers

Fellow Frogger!

I took the wheel to the place that does my tyres in East Chatswood. They've always been good with me and Mum.

The alloy wheel has corroded slightly where the tubeless tyre seals, resulting in slow leaks. The shop said they could fix it but it would always be an issue and recommended that an inner tube be inserted even if its a tubeless tyre. At $35 for the tube and labour, I think the price is very reasonable.

Cheers

Thread Information