Collector, Hoader, Lunatic or all 3?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Collector, Hoader, Lunatic or all 3?

http://jalopnik.com/399525/amazing-b...7-classic-cars

Not sure if the story about "some dude" who has all these cars in a shed somewhere outside Adelaide is pre-server crash news or not, but nonetheless it's here for all and sundry to behold.

Advertisement
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

UFO

I recall reading something about this pre GAFC but still it's interesting. You have to wonder how many is enough and what the hell he or anyone else is ever going to do with them.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

He's only got 68 to go and then he'll have one for every day of the year!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Fellow Frogger!

The only diference between this collection and our experience is space - as his (mostly Pommy?) cars expired he had the space to park them and buy another.

We had to dispose of our previous to replace it.

Reckon a few of us older farts could have a more desirable collection than that shown, given space.

Ah, if only - - -

Fento

Quote Originally Posted by fento View Post
    The only diference between this collection and our experience is space - as his (mostly Pommy?) cars expired he had the space to park them and buy another.

We had to dispose of our previous to replace it.

Reckon a few of us older farts could have a more desirable collection than that shown, given space.

Ah, if only - - -

Fento
    The Hillman Minx Californian didn't do it for you then? Understeer took on new meanings with that range of cars...... Things like an Austin Freeway ute pretty rare these days (perhaps with good reason).

I've never quite understood this level of accumulation of assorted stuff. I find my six is at least one too many, but then I use them all, rather than have them sit collecting dust.

I'd love to see the place though!
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Fellow Frogger!

Nah, John, those you mention do not arouse any enthusiasm.

But a 1925 Alvis 12/50, 1930's Triumphs, Jag Mk 7 & Mk11 3.8, plus other lesser beasts - now you are talking real cars.

Ah, memories - - -

Regards,

Fento

Nah, John, those you mention do not arouse any enthusiasm.

But a 1925 Alvis 12/50, 1930's Triumphs, Jag Mk 7 & Mk11 3.8, plus other lesser beasts - now you are talking real cars.

Ah, memories - - -

Regards,

Fento
    Yes! The first time we ever did the old ton was in a 3.4 MkII Jaguar. I always wanted a 3.8 (on a Renault 750 budget, so never did get it). On that occasion we were passed much more rapidly by a "Taylorspeed Gem", which you'd probably just recall as a fibreglass mini variation with a lot of go, sold in Adelaide, Taylors being a big BMC dealer.

I still think the MkII Jag is one of the great postwar saloons. Back in the mid-1970s they were just about affordable too.

Amazing collection. I wonder where it is exactly.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Fellow Frogger!

John,

My MK11 was probably the worse car I have ever owned - totally unreliable and bloody expensive to maintain. However, it certainly had the most sex appeal.

However, the Light 15 I owned at the same time was probably the best ever in terms of general utility. Photo's attached (I hope).

Regards,

Fento
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Collector, Hoader, Lunatic or all 3?-cars.jpg  

Hey Donat
    A word from your ex-teacher, it's spelt "hoarder", and you'll know why I took note of your message heading
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

John,

My MK11 was probably the worse car I have ever owned - totally unreliable and bloody expensive to maintain. However, it certainly had the most sex appeal.

However, the Light 15 I owned at the same time was probably the best ever in terms of general utility. Photo's attached (I hope).

Regards,

Fento
    Great photo. Looks like early to mid-1960s in any new Oz suburb. If it were SA, I'd say Hectorville or Elizabeth. What a pair - talk about chalk and cheese!

I was put off the MkII by cost and the (then) current horror stories about maintenance costs and oil burning. Mostly cost. I still love the look though and the performance wasn't poor (when running I suppose). I could buy a MkII now, but bought a CX instead (for a fraction the cost) and it is certainly the most costly and least reliable French car I've ever owned, but I do like it......
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Hey Donat
    A word from your ex-teacher, it's spelt "hoarder", and you'll know why I took note of your message heading
    I realised my typo not long after posting.

Hoader - someone who has too many GS CitroŽns
    1972 SM
    1989 BX 16 Valve

Fellow Frogger!

JohnW,

pretty well spot on - South Coast NSW 1966 - 68, Housing Commission fibro. First marraige, kids. Works burned down, 12 month's worth of penalty rates to spend following rebuild of power station.

Jag 3.8 manual, overdrive, high comp head, plus others. Second hand from Pommyland with a racing pedigree. totally rusted out underneath (well disguised) and generally shagged. Cost a fortune to repair it.

The MK7, on the other hand was a Lady. Pure refinement, reliable, etc. A much superior car from the MK11, apart from a little less performance. Having said this, the MK11 really went - that is, on the odd occassion it was actually running -

Citroen, my first and last Traction, was sold a few years ago, and now resides, I believe, in Tassie. A top little car!

Regards,

Fento

Hi Donat,

...and then there is: http://www.intuh.net/barnfinds/

Fellow Frogger!

Petpug,

the alternate story you have found regarding the Potugese collection is certainly more believable than the more common "find" story.

I remember the Stumpf Bugatti collection being described as a 'barn find' when news of the collection was first made public.

Thanks for the link,

Fento

The SA collection is hardly a 'barn find' (no offence to the OP, I've seen it described as such often), it was even featured on 'Collectors' once. The daughter and co-owner of the collection used to post regularly on here and was quite open about the collection and their intentions. The term 'barn find' is an oft abused term these days...I make a barn find every time I go to the shed!

Thread Information