Logging on ???
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Logging on ???

Default Logging on ???

"Desperate from Perth writes".
    Why am I continually required to log on every time I want to access the Froggy pages??

Advertisement

I've had to replace my hard drive and this has been one of the problems associated.

Isn't there an option to "remember password" offered when you log on ? Just click yes -for this site only.

What browser are you using ?

Default Logging....

Rob,
    Windows Internet Explorer.
    Have ticked the Remember Me box every time.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    "Desperate from Perth writes".
    Why am I continually required to log on every time I want to access the Froggy pages??

I've had to replace my hard drive and this has been one of the problems associated.
    G'day,
    I think, therefore I might be. Sorry.

Perhaps because when you log off, all cookies are cleared. A little text box appears to that effect.

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    I think, therefore I might be. Sorry.

Perhaps because when you log off, all cookies are cleared. A little text box appears to that effect.

regards
    Pug206gti,
    I never 'log off' whatever forum I am on. Never understood the point?

However all is sweet everthing is how it was pre HDF*

*Hard Drive Failure.

Pug206gti,
    I never 'log off' whatever forum I am on. Never understood the point?

However all is sweet everything is how it was pre HDF*

*Hard Drive Failure.
    After my first HDF about 10 years ago I now make all new machine run Raid 1 (mirror) minimum.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

In a new machine is the additional cost of a second hard drive and a controller card (or a main Board with inbuilt RAID controller) Much less effort than the hassle of retrieving data from back ups and re-installing OS.

Then the main risk is theft.... so you need still need backups.

I use raid 1 and auto backup to another raid 1 box shared by all my PCs on my local network. I move that box off site when we are away. All worked well until we started our Xmas letter. Then a loose connector to a fan touched the raid card and blew it up along with one disk. No data lost, thanks to the raid and the back up but rebuilding was impossible because the raid card was no longer stocked. The mother board has raid like most do now but only 2 sata connectors; net result, new mother board on order and no Xmas letter,
    I use a minimum of three drives in every box, one for programmes and a raid pair for data. I wish my C5 had had a bit of redundancy planning in its IT.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I use raid 1 and auto backup to another raid 1 box shared by all my PCs on my local network. I move that box off site when we are away. All worked well until we started our Xmas letter. Then a loose connector to a fan touched the raid card and blew it up along with one disk. No data lost, thanks to the raid and the back up but rebuilding was impossible because the raid card was no longer stocked. The mother board has raid like most do now but only 2 sata connectors; net result, new mother board on order and no Xmas letter,
    I use a minimum of three drives in every box, one for programmes and a raid pair for data. I wish my C5 had had a bit of redundancy planning in its IT.
    I do much the same thing. I have a non attached outbuilding that is pretty secure here at home . I have a NAS- raid in there with a UPS. l do incremental backups automatically twice a week.

This was a hang over from when I ran a business. Home and office were connected via VPN to do offsite back ups and to be able to work from home.

It seems to me if you loose a raid card you are forked anyway, but one of disks is able to be used as a boot disk SATA connected provided you reinstall the SATA drivers with Bart PE. No data is lost but there is a lot of mucking around.

Even a raid card of the same type won't work again because of the boot info (meta data?) on the raid volume is not matched to the new card.

I found cheap raid card to rubbish, even some of the so called name brands.

I now use promise raid cards or buy a mother board with Intel raid on it.

Reply to all..

Aye ???????

Icon6

Reply to all..

Aye ???????
    G'day,

what are they talking about ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Some of the strategies needed to avoid losing one's personal data in the way this site collapsed when both data was lost and back up failed.
    If I don't back up my computer regularly onto an external storage medium, then if my computer fails, is stolen or the house burns down I have lost 20 + years of records. No insurance will compensate.
    If the computer is stolen of destroyed with back up internally or just because the disk drive has failed all is lost.
    First line of defence - A RAID 1 installation of two disk drives. This copies data into and out of the disks so that they store identical information. if one fails to work properly the RAID management software automatically chooses the best strategy to preserve the most accurate data. It provides defence against disk failure and most computer failures.
    Second line of defence. Back up computer regularly onto external media. It used to be possible to do this onto DVDs. Now the disk drives are so large that only another drive is practical. You may have a few gig of absolutely vital data, in which case you can back it up to a USB key and carry it with you. Otherwise use a USB linked external drive and back up automatically in background with the software provided.
    Third line of defence
    If the house is at risk or the computer might be stolen, unplug the external drive when you are away more than 24 hours and put it somewhere safe.
    All this applies even more strongly to portables which have the added vulnerability of being dropped or stolen out of the house or office.
    4th Line of defence, not needed for the average single computer user, is to have a NAS or network storage facility which gives the double protection of its RAID software and the ability to place it away from the computers. In my case I run several computers with 3 operating systems and the centralised back up storage makes a lot of sense but needs technical knowledge.
    The other insurance policies above, cost about 100 dollars and a slight reduction in computer speed.
    Nothing in IT irritates me more than the phone call from a friend whose computer has stopped working, when I have to break it to him/her that they have lost all their data because they had no back up.
    Last edited by gerry freed; 28th December 2010 at 12:53 AM.

Reply to all..

Aye ???????
    Some concepts which should explain what we are discussing (a method of protecting computer hard disk data against theft of hard drive failure)

1) RAID = redundant array of independent drives - in one method (there are many raid levels using 2, 5 , 10 hard drives) of having two hard drives carrying identical data. If one drive fails then the other drive still has all the data and the computer will still boot and run. In an ideal world, the failed disk can be rebuilt from the working disk to re create the raid "mirror"

2) NAS = network attached storage. A device that can be RAID that is like a mini computer that contains hard drives. It is connected to the computer network via Ethernet (network cable) and is accessible to all computer to enable data to be stored. A NAS may be located at the same or off site.

3) OFF SITE = in a physically different location to the main computers. Often used to store data or locate the NAS. Off site storage is used to keep data back ups secure. This is necessary because of the potential of theft or fire of the on site machines and equipment.

4) VPN = virtual private network= a private computer network using the internet as a method data transport. VPN allow data to backed up when the main site and off site location are a long way separated. VPN are also used by business to extend a computer network between head offices and state offices. VPN can be very secure and are only accessible by authenicated users.

I would encourage anyone who replaces a PC to consider paying a small amount extra and buying a machine with a RAID controller inbuilt to the main board and to a buy a second hard disk to create a RAID- mirror of all their data and thus be protected from a single hard drive failure. The cost on top of of a new PC can be as low as $100 and the peace of mind is well worth that!

I don't claim this to be expert explanation, - simply my perspective arrived at from the school of hard knocks!

1000+ Posts

Reply to all..

Aye ???????
    and again
    Aye ??????
    Aye ??????
    Aye ??????

Who needs computers that much
    jaahn

Quote Originally Posted by jaahn View Post
    and again
    Aye ??????
    Aye ??????
    Aye ??????

Who needs computers that much
    jaahn
    Anyone who owns a business which is reliant on data storage or CRM .

I've already got the drift of where this thread is going, but not with me!

Default Logging...?

Rob n Gerry,
    Sorry for my facetious early reply, it was brought about by my joy in getting all or most back to normal.

I can understand the need for business and others who depend on computer back up.
    Fortunately my 'puter is a leisure tool ie Froggies and similar. Should anything play up and can't be sorted by switching off/on I take it down to my computer guy Ahmed, sorts things out and offers a good $ discount plus his sister if I'm inclined.

My life has reached a point where some things are not so important, ignore the phone after 7pm and the door etc.

Anyway have a Happy New Year.

Rob n Gerry,
    Sorry for my facetious early reply, it was brought about by my joy in getting all or most back to normal.

I can understand the need for business and others who depend on computer back up.
    Fortunately my 'puter is a leisure tool ie Froggies and similar. Should anything play up and can't be sorted by switching off/on I take it down to my computer guy Ahmed, sorts things out and offers a good $ discount plus his sister if I'm inclined.

My life has reached a point where some things are not so important, ignore the phone after 7pm and the door etc.

Anyway have a Happy New Year.
    Hi Wildy,

No need to be sorry. I took your comment in the spirit that it was intended. I've given my share of "lip" in the past!

Possibly my computer means a lot more to me than some AFers

It is the centre of communications, finances, family "photos" and AV stuff. I've have had one HDD disk crash and for sake of $100 are very happy not to have it again. Accordingly I thought preserving data would be a topic of interest. And there is a way of being protected.

What I find strange is that when the topic of having a mobile phone confiscated was broached in another thread. There was mass outrage. Largely to due to the amount of personal and business information that was potentially on it. I can't there is any difference between data on a computer and data on a mobile phone both can be considered important.

I don't even have a mobile phone - I carried one all my working life and answered it 24-7-365. Frankly it's a treat not to be hounded any more.

Yes, I can let the phone ring or not answer the door when it is inconvenient for me just like you do.(Anyway the calls are seldom for me )

cheers

Rob

Have a Happy Crash and Bug Free New Year.

Thread Information