Paris by Battery
  • Register
  • Help

Default Paris by Battery

The contract Autolib', the car version of Velolib' has been awarded to Bolloré . This is a project to put an initial 3000 electric cars in parking/charging stations on the streets of Paris for short term rental, just like the bikes.
    So when you come over to Paris next northern autumn you will be able to get around in silence with no parking hassles. They are talking of 4 euros per half hour and as little as 20 euros per week The project includes 1000 recharging stations which the municipalities will finance. The car is the Bolloré Blue Car designed in conjunction with Pininfarina, made in Italy with batteries from Brittany.
    It is 3.65 mètres long, a four seater, 50kw motor, max speed 130km/h and a range of 250kms un the city, 150 on main roads.

Advertisement
    Last edited by gerry freed; 18th December 2010 at 03:48 AM.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

More data.
    With the bike scheme they have had a couple of learning experiences.
    The bikes tend to migrate from central to remote locations. They manage this now with trucks that pick them up and return them to the central racks. Bit costly and road blocking with cars and so they are encouraging trip destinations to be notified on departure to give the booking computers maximum anticipation.
    There have been serious losses through theft and vandalism. The car stations will be manned by hostesses who will aid renters in the IT and booking arrangements while keeping guard. The credit card transaction sets up an account with a 250 euro deposit and takes out a 500 euro excess, if there is an accident.

Gerry

I would love to try the Autolib next time I am lucky enough to go to Paris. What would be the longest trip you could reasonably expect to take? Would that be limited by the range of the battery and charging stations, or would you be held to a geographic boundary?

Also, with regard to the statement at the end of your posts, do you still own a car with spheres? I thought you got rid of the C5.

Jeff

I can see the nearest station to the Porte de Versailles being popular for RetroMobile 2012.

What a pity it won't be in place for next Feb. I may have to take a trip to Paris just to try the system out - it looks pretty good (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by jlmdsims View Post
    Gerry

I would love to try the Autolib next time I am lucky enough to go to Paris. What would be the longest trip you could reasonably expect to take? Would that be limited by the range of the battery and charging stations, or would you be held to a geographic boundary?

Also, with regard to the statement at the end of your posts, do you still own a car with spheres? I thought you got rid of the C5.

Jeff
    the charging station network covers the most populous suburbs outside the peri as well as Paris itself. There is a boundary defined but I cannot attach the map.
    http://www.greenunivers.com/2010/12/...abilite-48418/
    carries a small one.

No sphere cars owned but always a great admirer of the DS. Suspension is not an issue on our roads anymore, economy is.
    UFO bravely toured France in a DS3, a citadine, and never complained about the springs.
    Now my computer drives the car and I do the steering. When I want to really drive I climb into the H van or slide into the PanPan.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    the charging station network covers the most populous suburbs outside the peri as well as Paris itself. There is a boundary defined but I cannot attach the map.
    http://www.greenunivers.com/2010/12/...abilite-48418/
    carries a small one.

No sphere cars owned but always a great admirer of the DS. Suspension is not an issue on our roads anymore, economy is.
    UFO bravely toured France in a DS3, a citadine, and never complained about the springs.
    Now my computer drives the car and I do the steering. When I want to really drive I climb into the H van or slide into the PanPan.
    I hate to bow to the inevitable, but I think you are right! I drove Lyon to Lunel and return a few years back in a firmly suspended Picasso, and have to agree suspension wasn't the issue. My CX is now a historical oddity with its soft suspension. And your latest is a sensible buy.

I'm waiting to play with a Leaf myself. Or whatever it will be called in Oz.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Tata have just announced production plans for the Indica based Electric called the Vista EV, developed in the UK. It currently is running in trials in Birmingham and Coventry and will be in production for fleet sales in 2012 in Europe. It has a better range than the Leaf but a lower top speed (110 kph).
    The industry can't really know when electric will take off, some think it will do an i-Pad and the market explode irrespective of price, because of utility. Others, especially the Americans, are talking down the market.
    Renault and the French government are certainly commited to making it happen sooner rather than later.
    Much depends on the growth of the Asian economies and the demand and hence price of oil.
    An interesting side play is the competition between Bolivia, Argentina and Chile to be the main supplier of lithium to the world. Eeveryone except the Chinese are scanning their geological mapping to find other sources of the rare earth elements used in the magnets of the electric motors.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The industry can't really know when electric will take off, some think it will do an i-Pad and the market explode irrespective of price, because of utility. Others, especially the Americans, are talking down the market.
    I for one look forward to getting out from under the jackboot of fuel price tyranny
    Geoff
    There is a solution to every problem. There is a problem with every solution.
    • Renault R4L '63 - Descartes
    • Renault R4L '64 - Lucy
    • Renault Megane '07 - too young to have a name...

Thread Information