What has your car been mistaken for?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Default What has your car been mistaken for?

We all drive slightly unusual cars so people usually mistake them for something else, and are then silly enough to say it.

People always think the 505 is a Holden or a BMW, I never noticed that kidney grill on it.

I've had full on arguments with people about what my 403 is "it must be a Holden, it has a lion on it" "It's a Peugeot" "your wrong" "wow, I never knew MY car was actually a Holden, thanks for that" "well they must copied Holden with the lion then" "no, Peugeot has had the Lion since the 1800s" "bullshit, Peugeot weren't around then" Some people just wont admit they're wrong, I've had that argument so many times!

The 403 has also been called an Austin, a Morris, a Citroen (!?!?) and a Ford.

I'm interested to see what the Citroen guys say. Here's a quote from another forum.

Driving a CitroŽn CX in the USA: "Izzat a Honda Insight??"
    "Um, no. It's got FOUR doors, is about a block longer, an...., aww, f_ck it, it's really the 2006 Corvette prototype..."
    Driving a Cit 2CV in the USA: "Nice Bug". "Yes, it is, I like the four doors and front wheel drive..."

Advertisement

Thanks

Hayden

My H Van has been mistaken for a mobile cafť and I have taken orders for coffee in an English lay-by.

but then my VeloSolex 5000, in spite of being blue was mistaken for a Ducati until I opened the throttle as the lights went green and it left black rubber all over the road.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

1000+ Posts

Default 405

on a job one day someone comes in and says who ownes the camira we want it moved spose there is a vague resemblence

Yes, about 10 years ago one of the marshalls at a Classic Car display day looked at the lion on my 306 bonnet and cheerfully attempted to direct me to the Holden Car Club display area
    2007 Peugeot 307 XSE

UFO

The D has been mistaken for a SAAB by an American tourist once. Of course others who are complete automotive ignoramuses think I am into Poojoes or Renalts - heathens.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

One friday night I was at the Acacia Ridge shops where all the hot rodders meet. I took the pug but it's not really suited to that kind of meet so I have the brains to park it well out of the way. The V8's generally have the front car park and the jap stuff has the rear car park behind the shops. Myself and a mate were having a good look at a pretty top spec supra parked with the jap stuff. The car was ok but the owner was completely full of himself.

I waited until we were near the owner who was mouthing of that it was HKS, Greedy bla bla bla and I said (so the owner could well hear) to my mate with a wink "Geez these Hyundai's have come a long way since being released in Australia 20 years ago"!

Well, I could see this guy's head turn purple. He turned toward me "What the F*** did you call this"?? ... I played dumb "The Hyundai, isn't this a lantra"? holding a staight face and looking for a badge. He went right off into a frenzy that wouold put Gordon Ramsay to shame.

To this day I still grin about this angry young man and his HKS Lantra.
    ....now watch a Peugeot turn into a corner!

I was in my datsun200b wagon once in town...early 90s...two americans opened up the back doors and asked to be taken to town hall
    1980 CX2400
    2000 Xantia Wagon

XTC

It's been called a holden before ...

1000+ Posts

I've had a group of people from work get in the 605 and someone in the back seat:

What is it? This is a Peugeot? Gee, I don't like Peugeots but I like this one!
    Cheers,
    Patrick
    Architect

1991 Peugeot 605SVE (Written off 2007)
    1995 Peugeot 605SV (Bianca White) *SOLD*
    2007 Volvo XC70 Electric Silver (PJ-810)
    2009 Volvo XC60 T6 Teknik (Sapphire Black)
    2014 Volvo XC70 Luxury D5 Polestar (Ice White)
    2012 Mercedes Benz C250 (Alabandite)

Past:
    1974 Triumph 2000Mk2, 1990 Renault 25TXE, 1986 Rover SD1, 1990 Peugeot 605SV, 1991 Peugeot 605SVE, 2001 Volvo XC70 and various Volvo 200-series

A Renault. Everything I own seems to get mistaken for a Renault for some reason.

JBN

My 2CV has been mistaken for a pram, an umbrella and a dunny. Any combination of these is acceptable to me.

John

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    My 2CV has been mistaken for a pram, an umbrella and a dunny. Any combination of these is acceptable to me.

John
    Seems a bit harsh if you were in it at the time. Y'sure they were criticising the car?

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

The guys at the service station where I fill up thought the DS were four door Porsches until I put them right. They're from Pakistan and apparently Citroens don't exist there.

Some years ago I met up with a couple of other guys from here who also had 206CCs. We'd stopped along the waterfront for some pix. One of the householders came out and after a quick glance at the prancing lion, asked if the cars were little Ferraris.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

My sisters ex-boyfriend used to say he like my fathers old DSpecial...... You know, the one with the V8 ......... I guess we never did get around to fixing the flexi-exhaust on it

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post

John
    Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post
    Seems a bit harsh if you were in it at the time. Y'sure they were criticising the car?

Mike.
    Aaahhh! As the Irish would say, its always the turd description that gets you.

John

An apprentice mechanic once told my mate that his 205 GTi was a Honda City to which my mate replied "thanks mate, Honda City - group B edition". Clearly it's a Holden Barina... it has a lion on it and everything.
    Current rides:
    '99 Honda VFR800 (daily)
    '02 Ducati 998 (weekender)

Current Project:
    405 Mi16 2.045L
    http://goo.gl/ha5jLL

Past rides:
    156 GTA
    https://youtu.be/HmKwwCwGrVg
    https://youtu.be/y-kgE4HyWzk
    306 GTi6
    405 Mi16
    Series 5 RX-7 TurboII
    E30 325i

Fellow Frogger!

Was once driving my orange GS wagon through the Valley when I heard some young people on the footpath comment on my cool old Renault.

In the late 60s in Melbourne I bought my first car;- a Skoda Sabre 1000MB. Nobody had a clue what it was;- but friends and family christened it "the Mongolian Trotting Duck". It seemed appropriate, so when asked;- that's what I said it was. I got the last laugh in the end because after 3 years motoring I sold it for $30.00 more than I had bought it for! i.e. $310.00!

Default Floride.....

My Renault Floride is not big on badging and the only reference to it being a Renault is a small shield shaped Renault badge on the front with a Floride badge on both sides.

Since the average citizen thinks that flouride is in toothpaste and in some drinking water they don't have a clue and often drive beside me ,speed up and slow down again looking for a sign of what sort of car it is, and some of them even yell out "what is it"?.....quite amusing really.

But it gets me mad when the really uneducated ones think it is an MG.

"Florides forever"
    Last edited by 59 Floride; 10th December 2010 at 10:43 PM.

One time PCCWA president had a parking ticket slapped on her 405.
    "Your Holden reg no........has overstayed the time limit."

404 owners will have many stories to tell about their old girls being called a Morris Oxford or an Austin Freeway !!

My father use to tell a story about just this subject.
    He took my mother to the movies in the city. He said that after he had parked 2 chaps walked past. One said "wow a Rolls Royce!" His mate said " don't be stupid, that's not a Rolls Royce, That's a Wolsley!"
    At least they got the country of manufacture correct.

I occasionally mistake my Scenic for a car.

Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Metal View Post
    Was once driving my orange GS wagon through the Valley when I heard some young people on the footpath comment on my cool old Renault.
    Well that's a bloody sight better than it being called a Daewoo like mine was not long ago....

Trying to explain, and god knows why I tried, that this was a Citroen and that GM pretty much copied a 15 year old design for the Astra that was then sold to Daewoo was just pointless....

I may have been trying to blow out a bushfire with a fart....

UFO

Quote Originally Posted by Ronhic View Post
    Well that's a bloody sight better than it being called a Daewoo like mine was not long ago....

Trying to explain, and god knows why I tried, that this was a Citroen and that GM pretty much copied a 15 year old design for the Astra that was then sold to Daewoo was just pointless....
    That's when you have fun and make things up.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    That's when you have fun and make things up.
    As in pretending that your Daewoo is actually something that's interesting and exotic? :-P
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... Last

Thread Information