Anyone Got Any Freight Suggestions?
  • Register
  • Help
    mlb

Default Anyone Got Any Freight Suggestions?

It looks like I might have to get 3 or 4 pallets of car parts moved from South Australia to Tassie. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best - and cost effective - way to do this?

Who are some good carriers, and who should be avoided?

Unless Scott's heading to Melbourne with an empty truck some time soon

Thanks

Advertisement

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

Try www.e-go.com.au

I got 4x wheels & tyres from Perth for around $60. Waaaaay cheaper than any other quote I got.
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

mlb

Quote Originally Posted by peujohn View Post
    Try www.e-go.com.au

I got 4x wheels & tyres from Perth for around $60. Waaaaay cheaper than any other quote I got.
    That looks great thanks John. Looking at their site i can get 3 pallets to Melbourne for less than $200, but to get it across Bass Strait pushes the total cost to about $800.

Still, it's pretty good. Much cheaper than I expected.

Matt
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Fellow Frogger!

Depending whereabouts in SA your parts are coming from, pallet rates are pretty standard.
    For example Bronzewing Transport based in Horsham cart from Adelaide back to Horsham for about $35 per pallet (normally hold about 1mt) and then about another $65 per pallet to Melbourne. Bordertown to Melbourne is getting more expensive in the last 12 months.

I've a feeling there are some boats going from Adelaide direct to Devonport or Bell bay. Might be worth giving Toll Tasmania or Bass Coast Transport in Devonport a ring. If you can get the goods to melbourne and have the right sort of car/4WD maybe a cheap ticket over and back on the ferry is the go. Or perhaps a few AFers are heading to Tas with their cars and can help out.

There's supposed to be a Tasmanian Freight equalization scheme in place to keep Tassie goods competitive shipping to Melbourne. The TFEB (Tas Freight Equalization Board) rebates the shipper a certain percentage of the freight. Whether it works southbound and for car parts might be worth asking the TFEB.

Good luck.
    John

Thread Information