My tweeters are my turbo - Is there an electrical engineer on the plane?
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default My tweeters are my turbo - Is there an electrical engineer on the plane?

As my engine revs over about 2,000 I hear a high pitched whine reminiscent of a turbocharger at 30psi. The pitch of the sound is dependent on engine revs, but lags behind a little with rev changes. I sorta noticed this same problem when using the same amplifier in my parents old Cry-slur Neon, but figured it was a capacitor or something as it was a second hand amplifier. I haven't been hearing the sound with just a subwoofer running off the amp, but after installing a set of Tweeters next to the rear headrests this evening, have heard the sound very loud and clearly. So I've come to the conclusion it's some type of interference in the power line related to the alternator, since it's dependent on engine revs. Is it likely that both cars have faulty alternators, or is this just a cheap amp with no power line protection? Would a capacitor on the power feed resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Check with one of the better auto stores or even a sound place as I recall there used to be suppressors available to install in line to stop interference. I seem to remember one that was fitted on a terminal of the alternator too.
    There'd be something available surely and most likely better these days too than the old ones.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

mover your power line away from all you speaker wire, aux leads, remote line, everything. It it just an electrical interference from the power lead.Had it happen so many time you eventually learn to run the power well away from any other cable.

Some suppressors will help but i have never had a full success story with them before

I had done the system in my super stylin 19 and had the whistle you talk about.

I got a "Amp Car Noise Filter" for jaycar similar to (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...T&SUBCATID=563) But a nucer one they had instor but not on the website.. erm lots of years ago.

Installed it right next to the amp in the boot. The whiney noise instantly gone.
    halfdave - R19RT (sold when moving OS), Volvo S60R (sold when moving back to Aus), Suziki SV650S (ditto), RSC 182 Cup

Fellow Frogger!

Ok thanks guys, I might try moving my power line to the other side of the car, they are currently next to each other. If that doesn't work then I guess a filter should do it

1000+ Posts

yeah noise filter thingys are the go, threw one in a boat with the same problem - instant solution.

Thread Information