Christmas Present
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    JBN

Default Christmas Present

The NSW government has decide to give itself a Christmas present this year. They are going to increase the number of demerit points from the current 12 to 13. Wow!

It is being packaged as a present for NSW motorists.Insiders suggest that NSW motorists are losing their licences far to quickly, and those not of direct convict descent actually refrain from driving for the 3 months that their licence is suspended. This means that the government loses a potential revenue source for 3 months. The dire strait of NSW Treasury has forced the government to use to Santa option so that they themselves may have a Merry Christmas (because after the March elections, there may not be many of them left).

John
    PS I am not on Valium. My preferred drug of choice is speed.

Advertisement
    Last edited by JBN; 23rd November 2010 at 09:57 PM.

I read the article in the herald today. Must say I'm extremely cynical as well. It's all to convenient really:

1. lower demerit points for low range speeding
    2. flood Sydney with $afty cameras
    3. raise allowed amount of demerits...

Before those bloody cameras, my last speeding fine was in early 2008. Since the cameras, I've been done twice in the last two days... One of which was on Victoria road at 3am, on the decent down to the westlink. I reckon the inevitable next step is for the RTA to lower all the speed limits by 10... that should help keep the coffers full...

Monsieur 405

I think its a ripper idea.
    They can piss the points system off altogether and I'd be happy.
    I can afford the fines, but I cant afford to go without a licence.

Jo

Well, in a nice little twist, I received today a letter from the RTA warning me that I'd gone through one of their safety cameras... No fines or demerits attached... 'There is good in him still.. I can feel it!'

Monsieur 405

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur 405 View Post
    I read the article in the herald today. Must say I'm extremely cynical as well. It's all to convenient really:

1. lower demerit points for low range speeding
    2. flood Sydney with $afty cameras
    3. raise allowed amount of demerits...

Before those bloody cameras, my last speeding fine was in early 2008. Since the cameras, I've been done twice in the last two days... One of which was on Victoria road at 3am, on the decent down to the westlink. I reckon the inevitable next step is for the RTA to lower all the speed limits by 10... that should help keep the coffers full...

Monsieur 405
    that's not too far off IMO.
    There's a couple of roads around here that the majority of people do drive at 50km/h when they are in fact 60km/h roads with little risk of pedestrian hits anyway and this is at times of the day when they are the only car in front of you with no other traffic

Thought the cynical thoughts myself about this, that is, give peoople more points to lose, take less off them and reap the $$ from more fines.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

UFO

I have found that Sydney drivers now behave like they are on Valium with Rohypnol chasers. They're all so bloody afraid of being pinged for anything that you have to craaaaaaaaawl along major 60 or 70 km/h thoroughfares at typically 20 km/h below the posted speed limit. Consequently if there is any form of traffic light sequencing on that road you end up copping every bloody red as you miss the synchronisation.

Where is the balance between driving at a "safe" posted speed and fuel economy (aka environmentally aware)?
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    I have found that Sydney drivers now behave like they are on Valium with Rohypnol aware)?
    Same in Melbourne

JBN

Have a look at the latest Ford Fiesta ads. All they go on about is the voice activated music controls and hands free bluetooth connectivity.

The NRMA will give you a hand free kit if you spend more money and get their Premium membership. They also suggested that older drivers should do a defensive drivers course (at their own expense) to bring their skills up to date. Like, how the text and drive?

Doesn't anybody drive anymore?

Well I had a good drive last Sunday. Sutherland to Castle Hill in the 2CV fairly quickly. Castle Hill to Wisemans Ferry, fairly slowly (nearly all 60kph zone) and there was a traffic cop but the 20 cars between me and him all flashed their lights. Got to the ferry just in time to see the last one go before the Bridge to Bridge waterskiing event stopped the ferries for an hour. There were two ferries. I got onto the wrong one. The tide must have dropped and the ferry was beached, so nothing happened for another half hour.

Being army trained and used to being effed around by professionals, I get very upset being effed around by amateurs, so I left the ferry to the ferry people to play around with for the rest of the day and went to see a mate at Windsor instead. Some fun roads around there and no cops. Then a quick trip from Windsor to Sutherland. Not too sure where the speed cameras are between Windsor and Parramatta, but I expect I will know within the next 6 weeks. Damn. Spent my Christmas present already.

John

Fellow Frogger!

John,

I was in Sutherland not that long ago to pick up our Blue BX from Greg C.

After a day to get there, a major credit to the navigational skills of the Memsahib, we finally reached an agreement on the return trip to Qld that we were lost when we spotted a sign saying we were 50 Klm from Canberra.

A roadside agreement that we reverse our tracks eventually headed us back to civilisation. (illegal U turns, etc).

The points we noted were that the locals were indeed on something odd, needing
    a 2CV or a bloody large truck to attract their attention, and your implication that army trained and armed makes sense.

Considering I grew up in that area, and have only been away for 20 years, there is NO way I will return.

A well scared Fento

JBN

Speed camera wise, I think Nuisance Wails is aptly situated between the Land of Queens and the Mexicans. I am frightened to venture north or south as both neighbouring states are more covert than we are with their speed cameras.

At least our fixed cameras have signs and they are now going to indicate the mobile speed cameras existence by placing a sign 50m before the vehicle. Unfortunately, by the time you read the sign, you have already been booked, however, I am sure there will be a lot of instances where a shocked motorist will apply maximum braking, probably provoking a rear end.

Safety knows no bounds.

John

PS: The amount of people that die in hospitals waiting for a bed is about the same as the road toll (Aust figures). The savings to the budget by not having to spend further monies on them has not been declared.

its is kinda crazy though...the current speed limits arent representative of todays technology...and just because there are still some "old" cars on the road doesnt mean that majority has to suffer...
    It would be interesting to compare some basics..eg. late seventies sigma vs 380... hell yes it was stupid to do anything over a 100 in the old shagna but in most modern cars with much better safety cells 100 feels like 40 most of the times...seriously we should be INCREASING the speed limits....who cares about the points....

eg

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...toppers_page_3

fact is we are a sheepish society...and those that can will bend us over anytime they wish...
    we are weak and stupid...

dino

fac

What a terrible thing to do to a beautiful '59 Chev

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

If the NSW Gov't wants to make us feel good at this time of year, I reckon some special time with KK might help...

1000+ Posts

I've found my XC70 to be driving a lot more smoothly this week after taking it on a four-hour-fang on Sunday afternoon/evening. I used to drive reasonably briskly all the time, but now am far too scared (the points, I'm happy to lose the money). So spirited drives are very few and far between. Maybe two or three times a year.

It's nice feeling the traction control doing its thing when exiting each corner, the AWD going nuts and the gearbox burning.

It's also weird driving 120-140km/h on a tight winding road (where it is impossible to hide a police car), and then doing 110km/h on a freeway that's engineered for 160km/h.

As with all 'engineered' limits, the safety margin is typically 50%. If the elevator says max 10 people, you know it can safely handle 15. If the speed limit says 60, you know you can safely drive 90. It's as simple as that!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I reckon some special time with KK might help...
    Yeah, she's a cutie.......err.......back on topic.....how does receiving more points reward a law abiding driver?
    If you're a law abiding driver, you'd have all your points, so getting more points means nothing!
    Wouldn't cheaper rego or greenslips be more of a reward?
    Ahh.....but then there would be a reduction revenue!
    Cheers Renomad

"Today's mighty oak, is just yesterdays nut that held it's ground"

Current frogs, Dad's R19 & Dad's Scenic.

Past frogs, R12 Wagon X2, R12GL, Fuego X2, R10 X2, R8 X.5!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ810 View Post
    As with all 'engineered' limits, the safety margin is typically 50%. If the elevator says max 10 people, you know it can safely handle 15. If the speed limit says 60, you know you can safely drive 90. It's as simple as that!
    Wow, And to think minimum standard tyres on my car are V rated.
    I just wish I had a V rated car.

Jo

[...]

How would that apply to an unlimited section of the autobahn?

I think most speed limits are governed by the perception of authorities (read majority of drivers who vote) of what is a safe speed for a section of road. Sure, there is a revenue factor, but that aside, it's the average/poorly skilled drivers who make the rules by voting in large numbers or just crashing.

JBN

On This Day Tonight they were complaining about people driving TOO slowly on motorways and causing others to dangerously bunch up. I find the same thing happens with people using cruise control all set to the same speed and then blocking all lanes.

Then I heard that due to the overcrowding in hospitals, about 1500 people die annually because they can't be admitted, roughly the same as the national road toll.

So, since ones chances of dying because of speeding (which is the cause of all road deaths) or slumped on a seat, sick and waiting to be admitted to a hospital are the same, for me the choice is simple.

Patrick, I also had a good satisfying drive last weekend, thrashing the guts out of Daffy Duck. Unlike you, I was unable to hit the dizzying speeds of 120-140kph, but at 100kph in Daffy Duck and some nice winding roads I experienced a similar thrill. I didn't have the AWD to help me around the corners, rather I wished I was on a dirt road to get some "power steering" from the loose gravel, as the high tech (for the 1940s) kingpins load up the more you turn. Driving a 2CV on winding bitumen roads offers a cheap alternative workout to the upper body compared to a gym.

I must admit that I don't miss the electronic stability control, traction control, crowd control or birth control of the modern cars. I am also unencumbered by the airbag who refuses to be a passenger in any car driven by me, which is fine by me as a passenger has a negative effect on the cars acceleration (but provides good ballast on left hand corners).

Being an anarchist and having a 2CV excuses me from obeying any of the road rules and my enjoyment has increased since I have stopped looking at the speedo. Most of the things that I do in the car are within the speed limit as the car won't go faster than about 110kph. Mind you, since not only don't I look at the speedo, I also don't look at too many road signs, but I do look long and hard at the shielas. That means that sometimes I miss the change in speed limits, but at least I am always no faster than 110kph. I am seriously contemplating wearing a burka whilst driving the 2CV as that would guarantee that the authorities would put me in the Too Hard basket. They wouldn't even bother breathalysing me.

I reckon that if I hit anything in a 2CV, at least I will be spared dying in Admissions while they try to find a hospital bed.

John

1000+ Posts

The 605 (with guard-mounted flags) is also excused from participating in any road rules. With my first two 605s I blatantly ignored them all. The problem is that the 605's top speed is a shade over DOUBLE that of a 2CV. Like you, I didn't look at the speedo much and just kept my foot flat on the floor most of the time.

Life is too short to spend it waiting.

JBN

The 605 (with guard-mounted flags) is also excused from participating in any road rules. With my first two 605s I blatantly ignored them all. The problem is that the 605's top speed is a shade over DOUBLE that of a 2CV. Like you, I didn't look at the speedo much and just kept my foot flat on the floor most of the time.

Life is too short to spend it waiting.
    You are probably long legged like I am, and stretching out the right foot is far more comfortable and prevents cramping.

I am intrigued by the flags on your guards. French? Some obscure South Pacific island? Red with hammer and sickle or just plain red as in the old days when a motor vehicle was preceded by a man waving a red flag to warn the public of potential impending danger?

By the way, you didn't run over the man carrying the red flag, did you?

John

1000+ Posts

Yes, tall people drive faster. It's a known fact. I think it has something to do with distance covered over a relative time in proportion to your own height.

Hence why tall people should get more points to use up, and/or have higher speed limits applied to them (just like P-platers have lower limits applied to them). It is only fair. At the moment us tall people are being genetically discriminated against... in fact... harrassed by the police, the system, the legal machine and the government.

Fellow Frogger!

John,

Reading your posts has started me understanding the Memsahib's penchant for the mighty 2CV.

Her driving style exactly matches your graphic description of thrashing the guts out of Daffy Duck!

She scares the crap out of me around town, but cruises at least 10 Klm's slower than everybody else on highways: perhaps a 2CV would be the answer.

John Vanechop, if you read this a pox on you, Sir! 'Twas you who introduced her to the damn things!

Regards,

Fento

JBN

John Vanchop rebuilt the engine on Daffy Duck, and my Charleston and my Dolly that 5 owners later ended up with Philthy Phil from Canberra.

In tribute to John Vanchop and his skills with 2CVs, particularly engines, Daffy Duck wears the follow tribute on its rear winsdscreen.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Christmas Present-raid-90.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

JBN,

No disrespect to John V - exactly the opposite!

It was he, however, who took the Memsahib on her first ride ride in a 2CV, at the establishment Francis in Trott Street, when he was a young bloke - over kerbing, tall buildings (in a single stride), etc!

Many years later, and with her photographing every bloody 2CV she comes across and leaving the photos around the house for me to find she is still asking (demanding?) that I buy her a 2CV, just like John's.

John Vanechop is a bloody good bloke, but he has left me a legacy that for over forty years has continued to vex me!

Next time we meet I still may strangle him, or alternatively buy a 2CV or get a divorce.

Gudday, John V -

Hope all is well,

Fento
    Last edited by fento; 26th November 2010 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling

JBN

Give in to the Memsahib. Buy a 2CV. Change your life forever.

Remember, when you start at the bottom, there is only one way to go - UP.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information