Interested in a 403 wagon
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default Interested in a 403 wagon

The chance to buy a Peugeot 403 wagon has come up and have seriously considered buying it as a possible vehicle for my bicycle business.The only dilemma is the availability of spare parts,i have found lots on ebay but all seem to be in France(obviously) and strangely Argentina so are there suppliers in Australia and particularly Brisbane?Any qld based collectors or drivers are welcome to make contact with me.For those who may have a need i restore vintage French and Italian bicycles and some mo-peds etc to a very high standard and thought such a vehicle as the 403 to be an essential part of it.Any pics of peugeot team cars from the 50s and 60s will help greatly. paulv

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

I think it is feasible to use a 403 wagon for such a business but some foresight and carrying of essential spare parts would be necessary. People like Graham Wallis supply second hand parts but some new parts like water pumps are difficult to find. Firms like European Imports sometimes have a few spares.

Quote Originally Posted by vinerello View Post
    The chance to buy a Peugeot 403 wagon has come up and have seriously considered buying it as a possible vehicle for my bicycle business.The only dilemma is the availability of spare parts,i have found lots on ebay but all seem to be in France(obviously) and strangely Argentina so are there suppliers in Australia and particularly Brisbane?Any qld based collectors or drivers are welcome to make contact with me.For those who may have a need i restore vintage French and Italian bicycles and some mo-peds etc to a very high standard and thought such a vehicle as the 403 to be an essential part of it.Any pics of peugeot team cars from the 50s and 60s will help greatly. paulv
    Your looking at that one on ebay aren't you?

Whilst you can still get just about every part, you wont find much new in Australia. It'l help if you can speak French or German (I've come across a lot of 403 parts in Germany? I would of thought there wouldn't be much there?). You'l need some pretty deep pockets too.....

As for that one on ebay, my main concern with it would be the hidden rust. My 403 came with $4200 worth of receipts just for the work done to the sills. They looked fine from the outside too. There's still tons of rust repairs I need to on it. I hope you can do your own rust repairs other wise it would be much, much cheaper to buy a restored one.

Post some picture of the bikes you've restored!

Thanks

Hayden

1000+ Posts

Just had a look at ebay. That car is going to be expensive to restore. Body condition and interior are poor. Bodywork costs. Ask grahammac, he has experience. My advice: a fully restored one for about $10000 would actualy be cheaper. Best value buying is often an unfinished restoration project where the big money has already been spent on the body. Money spent on restoration is rarely recovered.

Vinerello,
    To give your bike resto business a touch of Euro ambiance have a look around for a Renault Traffic?
    You'll spend too much time restoring a 403 for your purposes.

Wildebeest. Former owner of a '70's Peugeot "Mixte".

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Vinerello,
    To give your bike resto business a touch of Euro ambiance have a look around for a Renault Traffic?
    You'll spend too much time restoring a 403 for your purposes.

Wildebeest. Former owner of a '70's Peugeot "Mixte".
    Vinerello,
    Things have gone a bit quiet on this front. Have you made any moves on the 403?
    As a further option to my previous post, [Ren. Traffic] the smaller French "combi" type vans such as the Renault Kangoo or Peugeot Partner would have the capacity to carry bikes with a plus that they would be easier to park.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Vinerello,
    Things have gone a bit quiet on this front. Have you made any moves on the 403?
    As a further option to my previous post, [Ren. Traffic] the smaller French "combi" type vans such as the Renault Kangoo or Peugeot Partner would have the capacity to carry bikes with a plus that they would be easier to park.
    Or a 505 wagon. Which still has some retro character, but also has some creature comforts.

Repairs are likely to manageable and parts are still quite easy to find.

505 wagons are also a very capable passenger vehicle. The downside is they will use more fuel than a Kangoo or Partner.

403 and 404 can be a nightmare unless you buy one fully restored.

Several excellent condition 505 wagons have sold on AF for around $2000-$4000 which makes them a bargain.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

Default 403

Bruce Taylor ran a fleet of 403 delivery wagons, in Melb, tough as nuts but a bit slow of the mark.

I agree, best value is an unfinished project if you can find one, all a bit scarce now

I have a large flat roof rack for the wagon, 16 mounting points, great for bikes !please put it to good use! also have a rusty wagon wreck but no mech bits left now Sthn NSW and a ute for spares

utes run the same mechanicals (diff a bit lower ratio)
    lots of 403 brake parts etc on ebay in US some cheaper than here landed, very little you cant get for a 403 and much cheaper than old Ferds and Holdons

if the ebay one has minimal rust, allow $6-$7 grand for paint etc unless you have a 6months to spare and do it yourself. inspect the floors, under chassis curve in wheel arches sills, under bottom of radiator mounts, and the jacking points

door rubbers available Spectrum Rubber and Ebay Argentina
    pm me if you want further info

cheers and good luck

Tadpole

Default more on the 403

Thanks guys for all of your encouraging comments,in the end i didn't buy it but the actual condition wasn't that off putting.Over the last 25yrs i have restored 6 cars, it was the fact it was french that prompted me to ask the questions.Personally i love the look of the 403 and have since found some great photos of team cars from that era. I am in no hurry to buy one as i have always believed that the right one always comes along eventually.As for the new vans its not really the style that suits my work,don't get me wrong i love a/c and power steering but to me they have no mojo(if you know what i mean). cheers paulv

To really get a Tour de France feel you need to get a Citroen wagon. Nothing is as evocative as someone hanging out the rear window of a Cit doing an adjustment whilst the whole shebang is snaking down a mountain road.
    Even makes me want to take up bike riding, this lasts until I throw a leg over and my poor buggered back stops me actually assuming the position!

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by vinerello View Post
    Thanks guys for all of your encouraging comments,in the end i didn't buy it but the actual condition wasn't that off putting.Over the last 25yrs i have restored 6 cars, it was the fact it was french that prompted me to ask the questions.Personally i love the look of the 403 and have since found some great photos of team cars from that era. I am in no hurry to buy one as i have always believed that the right one always comes along eventually.As for the new vans its not really the style that suits my work,don't get me wrong i love a/c and power steering but to me they have no mojo(if you know what i mean). cheers paulv
    Good on you. There is nothing like a 403. I've got 404's, 505's and a 407 and I have had every model in between, and I still prefer to drive a 403. Maybe it is a reminder of my youth.
    Russell is correct, hang out and either buy a really good one (hard to find) or buy one that someone has done a fair bit of work on.

In the past two years I have restored two wagons, one ute, and a sedan. It costs up to $10,000 to get rid of the rust and to repaint, let alone any mechanical repairs. But if someone has already done the hard yards it does make the job easier. Parts are not a problem, if you don't want to import from Agrentina or the Continent you can always find someone through the PCCV who is in that business.
    The more 403's we can preserve, the better. Regards Graham

1000+ Posts

The sales reps from Cycles Australia (the Renault business assembling Peugeot cycles) used the first 504 wagons imported into Australia. They were poorly wax treated for the sea journey to Australia (under bonnet areas untreated) and were so rusty upon arrival they could not be sold.

Tadpole

Hey Alpine do you have apic of the bike rack i would love to see it may save me a lot of work.Now how do i get it to brisbane

Thread Information