Michelin - Pilot Primacy vs Primacy LC
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Michelin - Pilot Primacy vs Primacy LC

I've just about shredded another set of tyres and was looking to get back onto the Michelin Pilot Primacys that came with the car originally. When they were replaced with Bridgestones, my fuel consumption jumped dramatically, from 6.8 to 8.0L/100km.

I've been quoted $430 each for the Pilot Primacys, and was told that the Primacy LC is out there for $225. I was wondering if anyone has these, what they're like, and if they're decent on fuel as well. There's a fuel-saving advantage in the long run with the Pilots va a $200 tyre, but I think I only need to pull it back a bit to tip the benefit towards the lower outlay for cheaper tyres.

Apparently the Primacy LCs are quieter too... any feedback?

Cheers

Advertisement

I bought Precedas which are very quiet .
    '04 Megane
    Gone but not forgotten
    '71 16 TS, '72 16 TL, '74 15TS,'82 20TS Series 2, '85 25 GTX. '49 L15,

Fellow Frogger!

What size are you after?

Commonalities
    - Shorter wet braking distances compared to their predecessors.
    - Reduced rolling resistance, and hence fuel consumption, denoted by the "Green X" symbol.
    - Primarily designed for standard and high performance luxury vehicles.

Differences
    - The Primacy HP is the successor to the Pilot Primacy, both of which were developed for European markets, so there is an emphasis on road-holding.
    - The Primacy LC is the successor to the Energy MXV8, both developed for Asia-Pacific markets. It appears to have been developed by the Japanese arm of Michelin's R&D department, where low tyre noise is particularly important in their market, so naturally they've focused on silent running.

If you're looking for something more sporty, consider the Pilot Sport 3. It's in the process of slowly replacing the Pilot Preceda (in Asia Pacific) and Pilot Exalto (in Europe) so obviously designed with an emphasis on grip. Also the first Michelin Pilot tyre to qualify for the "Green X" symbol, which for this tyre was apparently developed from Le Mans 24-hour racing principles.

1000+ Posts

I have had Primacy LC 205/60 R15s on my Xantia for a couple of months - time enough to "scrub them in" properly. They replaced a set of Yokohama C-Drives, which were worn to the point that I didn't think they would pass rego.

The LCs are generally as advertised - quiet, with good levels of grip under most conditions, and there's certainly no adverse effect on fuel economy (wasn't keeping good enough records to be able to say that it is better). They certainly have better grip than worn-out C-drives on wet bitumen.

However with all the rain there is a lot of below average road surface out there, with potholes and broken up gravelly surfaces. The tyres step out quite noticeably if you hit one of these broken/gravelly sections on a corner. I am sure the C-Drives, even when worn, had more grip in these circumstances.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Yes we've got Primacy LCs 195/65/15 on my wifes Series 5 Golf. The first 2 were about $180, the last 2 about $215. Hard to say with a Golf as perhaps with 65 series tyres you're picking up cushioning rather than sharp steering for example.... I've always thought this particular car drummed a lot from the front wheels. The original tyres were Energy XM which managed 68k on 2 wheels and nearly 80k for the other 2. The drumming seems to be drastically reduced or totally disappeared with the new tyres. Digressing some later model Series 5 Golfs changed from Michelin to Goodyear as original equipment. The Golf is very well built so coming with Michelins i was keen to stick with the brand but to upgrade as the Energy were really old news (albeit @ about half the price)

The Primacy's are quieter, can't comment on the fuel consumption as I only drive at weekends. Michelins have gone up in price, shop around particularly if you're buying a full set. When we bought the last 2 they had a deal giving you a Canon digital camera supposedly worth $299. I'd really prefer just a discount.

Good luck.
    Last edited by J'aime la vie; 19th November 2010 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J'aime la vie View Post
    When we bought the last 2 they had a deal giving you a Canon digital camera supposedly worth $299. I'd really prefer just a discount.

Good luck.
    Deal is still on, but to qualify you need to buy 4 tyres.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Jo yes not sure if we were (a) being careful in 2009 when we only bought 2 new tyres or (b) miserly trying to squeeze a few more km's (about 10,000) out of the original Michelin Energy tyres.

However the digital camera is not really free. The Primacy's have gone up about $60 tyre. But out in my wifes Golf this morning and they are very nice and quiet. The Energy's by comparision were coarse and noisy. They say Mazda and Mazda 3's suffer a lot of tyre noise. That's what the Golf was like pre Primacy.

Unless you really want a digital camera I'd be offloading that on Ebay.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info guys... I decided to go for the LCs and yes, they are noticeably quieter than either of the other two sets I've had.

Too early to say a lot about the economy - I think it has dipped a bit but I'm having a bit of an issue with the car that may be causing it to guzzle a bit (see Renault forum!)

Will update once I've had a good run.

Just wondering how folks have gone with the Primacy LC's?

Thinking of getting some for the 407 to replace the Pilots that are getting a bit old.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Bought the Primacy LC's.

So far so Good. A lot quieter, perhaps a little more pedal to stop the car (This may be as they are brand new tyres) but a good ride and very good in the wet.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Why not a set of MXV8s.
    (the best tyre I have found for general road uasge, wet, dry, vigorous driving).
    Held on when driven with gusto....
    Good wear and low noise.

For the cost I recommend the XM1s......
    Unless you are on the track, you wont notice the difference.
    Why spend big $$$$ if you wont see the benefit.
    /// 1986 SII 505 GTI
    2003 T5 307 HDI
    2013 LandRover90
    Sacred cows make the best hamburger mince.
    If you run, you only die tired

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Why not a set of MXV8s.
    (the best tyre I have found for general road uasge, wet, dry, vigorous driving).
    Good wear and low noise.

I could not get the MXV8 in my size 215/55 r17. I believe that the Primacy LC is the new version of the MXV8, but don't hold me to that. $205 per tyre was not bad I thought, considering I bought Hankooks for the 504 5 yrs ago at 130 a tyre?
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamma View Post
    Why not a set of MXV8s.
    Good wear and low noise.

They say the Primacy LC is a very refined tyre, and from what I've read, I reckon most drivers would notice the difference straight away, in terms of NVH.

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz View Post
    I could not get the MXV8 in my size 215/55 r17. I believe that the Primacy LC is the new version of the MXV8, but don't hold me to that.
    That is correct, the Primacy LC is the successor to the Energy MXV8.

$205 per tyre was not bad I thought, considering I bought Hankooks for the 504 5 yrs ago at 130 a tyre?
    Don't forget that prices can differ wildly between sizes. Also, I'm not sure of any (quality) 215/55 R17 tyres that would be significantly cheaper.

Tadpole

Icon8

Bought the Primacy LC's.

So far so Good. A lot quieter, perhaps a little more pedal to stop the car (This may be as they are brand new tyres) but a good ride and very good in the wet.

shobbz
    Hi,

How are the Primacy LC's going on the 407? I have done 80000kms on the original Pirelli's and now need to replace them. Pirelli don't import the identical tyre here so I am looking at what else is available.

Cheers

Theedge

I don't want to brag but I managed 80,000km out of the set of original 205x16 Michelin XM winter-treads on my RX4, and I still have the set in my garage with about another 5-10,000km left. I caned the tripes out of the car it's whole life, I think it must be the 4WD that spreads the load, eh?
    Buy one! ;-)
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

Quote Originally Posted by theedge View Post
    Hi,

How are the Primacy LC's going on the 407? I have done 80000kms on the original Pirelli's and now need to replace them. Pirelli don't import the identical tyre here so I am looking at what else is available.

Cheers

Theedge
    I haven't done 5000 in them yet but no faults so far. Sometimes wheel spin when I take off suddenly but this may be due to the colder weather?

No complaints here

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Tadpole

Thanks for the update shabby, will be replacing this week.

Theedge

Thread Information