French Flair
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: French Flair

Default French Flair

I just read this in an SMH article about the Koleos.
    "French flair in the design extends to a chilled glovebox to keep drinks and chocolates cool, a centre console with a 12-volt power outlet, a discreet under-seat storage drawer and underfloor storage space in the rear."
    Whaoh! who says that innovation is dead in French car design since the DS?

Advertisement

[QUOTE=gerry freed;905251
    ....chilled glovebox to keep drinks and chocolates cool,
    ....a centre console with a 12-volt power outlet,
    ... storage drawer and underfloor storage space in the rear."
    [/QUOTE]

With respects, The "egg" Toyota Tarago (Previa in USA) has had these features on the their GLX models from 1990 onwards.

As well as spin around captains middle seats, dual air conditioning , full 8 seats, a true mid engine mounted inclined 45 degrees, plus exceptional ride and performance for the time.

In fact the egg Tarago was first People mover to meet(and exceed) USA safety standards for passenger cars circa 1990.

I know, because own and drive one as the "hack". Over 350,000 km without any engine work at all and uses less than a litre of oil between 5000km changes. Service has been limited to tyres, brakes and struts/shockers

And they were available with optional 4 wheel drive.

What is old is new again?
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

Plus their Scenic from the late 90's (over there) had the same features. Guess he was just reminding everyone (or didn't know himself!)

UFO

And Gerry had the sarcasm dial set on 11 when he made the post.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

Icon3

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    ...Gerry may still be in 2006 mode

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by UFO View Post
    ... and tongue so firmly in his cheek he may have trouble extracting it!
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

I despair of Australian motoring journos!
    The chocolate cooler is for the Belgian market.
    The 12v outlet is for the US market for charging their electric toothbrushes,
    The discrete drawer is for the UK market and holds 4 packets of condoms
    and the underfloor compartment is for the Japanese market, where they store their dead would be centenarian grandmothers while collecting the pension.

Very funny Gerry.
    You are spot on with the under floor space for dead centenarian grand mothers in Japan because the Honda CRV has one too.
    Xantia SX 1997
    Toyota Spacia 2000

Gerry you should realize by now that you shouldn't trust anything Australian motoring writers say? I gave up doing that ages ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    The discrete drawer is for the UK market and holds 4 packets of condoms
    I find that hard to believe. Some bugger must be gettin' my share. Anyway, most UK blokes don't need condoms. A box of paper hankies, yes.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Mike, yep the pomm's have always been pritty stupid, normal folk call paper hankies, "Tissues" Cling Wrap for all other reasons, at least 1,X 10 mtr roll will suffice at least one night, BLOW YOUR NOSE ON YOUR PAPER HANKIES, AND DONT KEEP EM IN YOUR DRAWS.
    tONY

Quote Originally Posted by gerry freed View Post
    I just read this in an SMH article about the Koleos.
    "French flair in the design extends to a chilled glovebox to keep drinks and chocolates cool, a centre console with a 12-volt power outlet, a discreet under-seat storage drawer and underfloor storage space in the rear."
    Whaoh! who says that innovation is dead in French car design since the DS?
    Maybe the Aussie journo is way in front in the sarcasm stakes here. He might just be saying that if these "innovations" are the best they can do, then the Fench flair is indeed dead. And thats how I read it.

2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Beneath the sarcasm is the irony. The company was founded in France and the marque carries the name of its founder on most of its cars but it is now a transnational operation, designing cars for multiple markets. 'French' and 'flair' has nothing to do with it except as marketing cues. The car is Asian and if the markets wants 72 cup holders they fit them because they want to sell cars, not make national statements.
    They are selling 1200 a month in Europe compared with 26,000 Cleos and even more Méganes.
    It was never intended to be anything other than a me-to product to block off French market penetration by other Asians, in what was briefly considered a vulnerable market sector. It takes advantage of the huge Renault dealer network by sticking the badge on the front. As it turned out the market sector was a non-event and the interest has turned to low pollution citadines. By coincidence, it is more in the mainstream in Australia and the sales volumes, although small, are are on a market size basis, better then in France.

The sad truth is that car makers are preoccupied with the growth markets that are not looking for innovation but cost effective personal transport. Renault sells and manufactures half its output overseas where there is growth while fighting to grow market share in shrinking Western European markets.
    There really isn't very much for a motoring writer to say, the variations marque to marque are in the detail with all the constraints exerted by safety and other regulations and the global industry sharing of both major components and sub assemblies.

Thread Information