Finding a used Froggy...
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

Default Finding a used Froggy...

I would be grateful if people could share their favourite techniques for locating cars that are in short supply.

For French cars, I start here on AF (naturally), then check the following (in descending order of most French cars advertised):

www.carpoint.com.au / www.carsales.com.au (correct me if I'm wrong, but these two seem to share the same database of cars)

www.drive.com.au

www.tradingpost.com.au

www.countrycars.com.au

Where else should I look?

Cheers

Alec

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Sometimes interesting cars come up on ebay.

You could also browse your local newsagent for 'Unique Cars', 'Just Cars' and 'Australian Classic Car'.

Alec,

Over and above looking, why not post a 'Wanted' advert here?

Fellow Frogger!

You could also have a sticky on gumtree.com.au.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Sometimes just being in the car club is often enough. A lot of good cars change hands between car club members without ever being advertised.

Just put the word out there that you're looking for x. It can't hurt.
    Cheers,
    Michael

Citroen Car Club of NSW - Member

1974 Citroen DS23 non Pallas BW Auto/Carby with Air-conditioning [AC640 Delta Blue]
    1972 Citroen DS21 5SPD EFI Pallas [AC088 Blanc Meije]

2012 Citroen C5 Exclusive 3.0L Auto Diesel [Noir Perla Nera]

Maybe start off by thinking about just what you are looking for and then doing an active search for it. As mentioned, a "wanted" ad on Aussie frogs may be the best way.

There are so many great French cars to choose from. I would personally like to own a stable of about 8 Renaults and Citroens from the sixties and seventies

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michaelr View Post
    Maybe start off by thinking about just what you are looking for and then doing an active search for it. As mentioned, a "wanted" ad on Aussie frogs may be the best way.

There are so many great French cars to choose from. I would personally like to own a stable of about 8 Renaults and Citroens from the sixties and seventies
    there is a cure for that you know
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Alec, the solution involves "Loi de Murphée" - buy the next best thing and the true object of your search will appear.

When I was last car hunting, I made two key mistakes. One was not buying each of the cars I was considering - it'd have made a week-long comparison simpler and they could be offloaded easily enough.

The other silly thing I did, was to mention publicly exactly which vehicles I was looking at - other AF members who'd been eyeing off the same cars promptly rushed in and snagged them...

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I would be grateful if people could share their favourite techniques for locating cars that are in short supply.

For French cars, I start here on AF (naturally), then check the following (in descending order of most French cars advertised):

www.carpoint.com.au / www.carsales.com.au (correct me if I'm wrong, but these two seem to share the same database of cars)

www.drive.com.au

www.tradingpost.com.au

www.countrycars.com.au

Where else should I look?

Cheers

Alec
    So. Now that you've aroused curiosity in both hemispheres, what is it you're after?

I've a nice 505 bodyshell that's going cheap, but you'd need to arrange transport.

Mike.
    Last edited by catshamlet; 14th November 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: the usual. a typo.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I would be grateful if people could share their favourite techniques for locating cars that are in short supply. Where else should I look? Cheers Alec
    I always check the clubs I can find. For example there are from time to time cars advertised in the monthly mag. of the Association of Citroen Enthusiasts in Perth, and similarly for Fourword, the magazine of the Renault 4CV Register of Australia. The cars advertised in that way are usually well-known to a few people, and with well known history. That is the cars often come with a community of people interested, willing and able to help when the odd thing goes wrong.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

1000+ Posts

Thanks for all the advice.

I did actually post a "WTD" ad in "Cars for Sale / Wanted" before starting this thread, so it's no secret that I had my eye out for a Pug 406 HDi wagon. However I thought that, in addition to helping me now, the thread might have some value for others looking for the same sort of advice.

It's actually for my son & his partner, who are need of a station wagon since writing off a Nissan Pathfinder (simple skid on a gravel road - but that's another story). They are coping with my 605 on loan, but the boot is not really the right shape for bicycles, and it doesn't have a tow bar (I think I can feel another thread coming!). I have been keeping my eye on the "Sensible cars for about $10,000?" thread in the Toad Pond, as my son's requirements are very similar.

My son had a sit in a 406 STDT wagon, and commented that it had the most comfortable seats of any second hand car he had tried (and that probably includes the 605 ). I recommended he didn't buy it - it had pretty high km, and I've read too much on here about the fuel pump in the STDT to be comfortable recommending one.

Anyway, it's probably too late if someone is "sitting on" a mint condition HDi wagon - they found a well-maintained Subaru Liberty yesterday in their price range (under $10,000), and they have pretty much decided it'll do.

I am a Citroen Club member, but it's certainly time I joined the Peugeot Club - I am aware that cars are advertised in club newsletters.

I'm sure eBay is a great place for picking up bargains, but it just doesn't seem the place to go when you are looking for a reliable commuter - too hard to verify claims made about a vehicle!

Adam, when I was buying my Xantia Turbo CT I was quite new to AF, and I was very concerned about exactly the problem you had. However that car had been on drive.com.au (or equivalent) for some months, and was hardly a secret! So I did post the link in the hopes that someone might have some knowledge of the car. Luckily no-one else wanted it - it has been a great car (apart from all the rubber return lines perishing!!).

As for your idea of buying two cars and re-selling the one you don't want - it sounds like a recipe for being left with all the cars that nobody wants . With a few exceptions (such as 406 HDi wagons), I thought used French cars in particular were very hard to shift!

As to the right car coming up as soon as they give up a and sign up for this Liberty - it's worse than that! Near neighbours sold an HDi wagon earlier this year, for a very reasonable price . At the time I couldn't justify buying it .

Cheers

Alec
    Last edited by Armidillo; 14th November 2010 at 06:48 PM.

1000+ Posts

Default Other web sites?

So far the only web site mentioned that wasn't in my original post is eBay.

Are there any other sites that people have found are likely to have cars not advertised in any of the 4 I mentioned initially? I have certainly found others, but little evidence that they are attracting any exclusive listings.

Apart from eBay there are obviously other auction sites - again it can be difficult to assess the true condition of a vehicle, but it would be helpful to have the useful ones documented!

Cheers

Alec

Thread Information