Erde / Daxara Trailers
  • Register
  • Help

Default Erde / Daxara Trailers

I have recently been introduced to this range of trailers and they are QI (Quite Interesting for the ABC viewers). Not only are they French design and manufacture, they are available in Australia and are obviously related to cars, so I'm putting this in Froggy chat. I am surprised that I couldn't find any previous threads on this forum, as they have been around a few years, even in Aust.

Its very easy to immediately write these off as imported crap, but a closer look is worthwhile if you are looking for a light weight fully galvanised trailer that should last for many years, and is suitable for the smaller cars as well as the bigger ones. I got involved while trying to sort a camper trailer for a friend, he had a new Jap car, with only 500 kg unbraked towing capacity. As it turns out, he did not go ahead because his car got written off with hail damage, and he lost interest. In brief we could get a OzTrail 7 camper (110 kgs) on a Daxara 168 (approx 6' x 4') trailer (185 kgs approx) total about 320 kgs including spare wheel and nifty mounting bracket, central jockey wheel and rear drop-down stands for stability. These extra bits were off-the-shelf bolt-on stuff, existing holes in the trailer, very clever design. This would have left about 180 kgs for camping equipment, etc, a good set-up. The trailer is rated at 750 kgs so well within its limits.

Actually, I found them a bit like a French car - well designed, a bit different, somewhat light-weight but engineered to do the job they are designed for. IMO, these are not the trailer for a load of bricks and rubble, although they also have a range of heavier duty tradesman type trailers. Oh, and another thing like a French car - somewhat over-priced when you first look at them, but possibly good value if it suits your requirements.

General construction pressed galv steel, the heavier duty Daxara has double skins so all smooth on the inside with ribs on the outside, very "clean" finish - you could use the tailgate as a table no problem. Panels are bolted together. The suspension is independent with rubber torsion blocks in a cross-tube, similar to many Euro caravans and some Aussie trailer equipment. Hubs appeared to be of sealed bearing type. Wheels were skinny (145 x 13) but this suited the narrow overall width of the trailer to sit behind a small car out of the airstream, and low road drag. I noted the tyres were made in Serbia (only notable for the fact that it is the first thing I have ever noticed coming from there!). From what I could glean, the actual trailers are manufactured in France, but who knows these days. They import them in flat-packs, whether you can buy them like that I dont know. A feature of the deign is they can easily be stood on end for storage in limited space homes.

http://www.erde.fr/GB/index.html#

I have put the link to the English UK version of the main French website for the reason that it doesn't have the local content of the Aussie websites, although the local sites will link you to the main site.
    There are a couple of importers in WA, and there are some agents listed in Victoria and Tasmania.

Local sites:

http://www.erdetrailers.com/

http://www.erdetrailers.com.au/

Could be of interest for these low ball-weight and towing weights that our Froggie cars generally have.

Advertisement

Cheers.
    Last edited by Fordman; 11th November 2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Comment re pricing
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Looks interesting... If you get one .... Just lend it to me and we'll do some, er, "abuse" testing. I noticed last time my trailer was returned it had a broken spring. I can only imagine the weight that must have been on the poor thing to break a leaf in 7leaf springs

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Looks interesting... If you get one .... Just lend it to me and we'll do some, er, "abuse" testing. I noticed last time my trailer was returned it had a broken spring. I can only imagine the weight that must have been on the poor thing to break a leaf in 7leaf springs

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I have a trailer motto developed from my earlier days as a mechanic and family fix-everything guy:

1. When you lend a trailer, it comes back with the lights not working, or something damaged.

2. When you borrow a trailer, you have to fix the lights before you can use it, and usually do the wheel bearings as well.

I think the worst example of "friends" borrowing trailers, was my bro-in-law in the country lent his big heavy duty flat-bed car trailer to a friend to shift furniture. When it was returned they said they had to cut off the fold-up ramps at the back of the trailer so they could back it up to the door to get the furniture loaded. Instead of removing the hinge pins, they oxy cut the hinge brackets off the chassis. He says they didnt make any offer to assist repairing the trailer later - people are unbelievable. (We have never got around to fixing it BTW).

Its funny Shane, but I knew you would respond - only I thought you would be asking if the angle iron frames were at least 10mm or it would fall to pieces!!!
    2004 Scenic I 2.0 auto (Hers)
    2016 Ford Territory (His)
    2004 WRX (Sunday car)

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fordman View Post
    I have a trailer motto developed from my earlier days as a mechanic and family fix-everything guy:

1. When you lend a trailer, it comes back with the lights not working, or something damaged.

2. When you borrow a trailer, you have to fix the lights before you can use it, and usually do the wheel bearings as well.

I think the worst example of "friends" borrowing trailers, was my bro-in-law in the country lent his big heavy duty flat-bed car trailer to a friend to shift furniture. When it was returned they said they had to cut off the fold-up ramps at the back of the trailer so they could back it up to the door to get the furniture loaded. Instead of removing the hinge pins, they oxy cut the hinge brackets off the chassis. He says they didnt make any offer to assist repairing the trailer later - people are unbelievable. (We have never got around to fixing it BTW).

Its funny Shane, but I knew you would respond - only I thought you would be asking if the angle iron frames were at least 10mm or it would fall to pieces!!!
    Yep that's for sure.

Another interesting trailer is those "Cub Camplet" type trailers. Same priciple, lightweight shell, tiny lightweight axle unit ... expands out into a huge tent, sometimes with swing out kitchen. Far more useful than the massively overbuilt, high, heavy "offroad 4wd" camper trailers sold here. After all, not everyone wants to drag a heavy trailer offroad Some would like the lightest possible trailer.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Thread Information