Digital Audio Broadcasting
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    XTC
    XTC is offline
    VIC: a fine driving state XTC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Location Location Location
    Posts
    8,566

    Default Digital Audio Broadcasting

    With the French govt mandating all cars sold in France from 2013 must have DAB+ (well there is DAB, DAB+ and DMB) are we starting to see any local Frenchies with Digital Radio capabilities?

    So far it seems only Audi (A8, Q7 and A5 Coupe) are doing it as std - with it as an option on some other models.

    Advertisement


    - xTc -

  2. #2
    Sans Pond. STALLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    I know it's an option on quite a few cars at the moment in the UK and Europe!

    Then again, it took us 15 years behind the rest of the world to have RDS
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

    2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

    1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

    2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts HONG KONG PUGGY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Yarrabilba, Queensland
    Posts
    2,754

    Default

    2013, is a long lay time for the take up. I guess he is giving them time to tool up, or is that around in the mean time.


    Have not even looked at DAB info at all.
    What's the deal for cars current;y with normal receivers. With my limited knowledge of radio frequency from tinkering as a kid, i'd expect a converter would be useless as you'd lose all the benefits of the Digital signal in the conversion.


    BTW Joel, what's RDS?
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200



    Previous

    2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10





    "When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

  4. #4
    Sans Pond. STALLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    RDS is Radio Data System - Example: B105 on the radio display of your Scenic!
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

    2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

    1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

    2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! sfrawley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Goolwa SA
    Posts
    328

    Default

    DAB is restricted to metro areas at present, so not much use in a car unless you drive around town all the time (and that's not what we buy French cars for).
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,504

    Default

    Coverage is the problem...same applies to UK...although as mentioned we are slowest to take up...
    kinda crazy considering possibilities...not just with quality (bit rate dependent)..but with programming...some European countries have been doing surround even...
    We need a codec upgrade and a stop of broadcasters jamming more and hence reducing quality....Goal should be "sound quality" and "coverage/accessibility"...if these dont exist then the aftermarket isnt going to deliver...There are a few out there but still not common on shelfs...try buying a domestic digital tuner and see what choice one has...very limited indeed, but i suspect size of our market is to small regardless that we have one of the most competitive automotive markets on the planet...





    dino

  7. #7
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,005

    Default

    Doesn't faze me in the least. Since the radio antenna connection on my Xantia is incompatible with that on the Sony deck, I don't even have the radio connected. Just enjoy my favourite music from the CDs, free from ads and those obnoxious shock jocks.

    John

  8. #8
    1000+ Posts dino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    4,504

    Default

    John...there is an adapter...only a few dollars...easy.


    http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?ca...as&cat_sno=572



    dino

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    183

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    Have not even looked at DAB info at all.
    What's the deal for cars current;y with normal receivers. With my limited knowledge of radio frequency from tinkering as a kid, i'd expect a converter would be useless as you'd lose all the benefits of the Digital signal in the conversion.
    I put an aftermarket receiver (Blaupunkt) into a previous car. Nice receiver but DAB reception was a bit iffy in Sydney. If the coverage was better the technology wasn't an issue though.

  10. #10
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    John...there is an adapter...only a few dollars...easy.


    http://www.aerpro.com.au/list.php?ca...as&cat_sno=572



    dino
    I know there is an adapter. All I wanted was a CD player. Unfortunately I ended up buying a Sony which also had a front USB slot. Bad move. Too many functions, too many buttons, removable front which beeps whenever I switch off the car without removing it, etc, etc.

    All I want is a CD player (forget the USB), with an on/off button, an analogue volume knob and forward and reverse buttons for track selection. Also a graphic equaliser, L-R balance and front-rear fader, preferably located away from the "usable" controls.

    I only want a bit of sound, with controls that can be operated instictively at night whilst looking at the road and with no other driving distractions, a concept that is no longer fashionable.

    John

  11. #11
    Should get a life 2353's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XTC View Post
    With the French govt mandating all cars sold in France from 2013 must have DAB+ (well there is DAB, DAB+ and DMB) are we starting to see any local Frenchies with Digital Radio capabilities?
    The Scenic (Mk 2) and 308 both have DAB radios. One station in Brisbane (River 94.9) displays song artist and title - usually truncated - and some commerical FM stations display the "promotional" name such as "Triple M", "B 105" etc. You can't pick up the digital only stations which suggests to me that the radios fitted aren't full DAB+.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

  12. #12
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    The Scenic (Mk 2) and 308 both have DAB radios. One station in Brisbane (River 94.9) displays song artist and title - usually truncated - and some commerical FM stations display the "promotional" name such as "Triple M", "B 105" etc. You can't pick up the digital only stations which suggests to me that the radios fitted aren't full DAB+.
    I am not sure that one needs the artist and title to display in a car. As if we don't have enough distractions already. Maybe in the future, they will have a "heads up" display of the words of the song on the windscreen so that we can have karaoke on the move (probably spelt caraoke for this version). Geez, doesn't anyone drive anymore?

    John

  13. #13
    Should get a life 2353's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    4,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I am not sure that one needs the artist and title to display in a car. As if we don't have enough distractions already. Maybe in the future, they will have a "heads up" display of the words of the song on the windscreen so that we can have karaoke on the move (probably spelt caraoke for this version). Geez, doesn't anyone drive anymore?

    John
    Its like a lot of things, you don't notice it after a week or so. After having it for three years or so, it wouldn't determine my choice of radio station or be an essential requirement for the next car purchase.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

  14. #14
    Sans Pond. STALLED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    2,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2353 View Post
    The Scenic (Mk 2) and 308 both have DAB radios. One station in Brisbane (River 94.9) displays song artist and title - usually truncated - and some commerical FM stations display the "promotional" name such as "Triple M", "B 105" etc. You can't pick up the digital only stations which suggests to me that the radios fitted aren't full DAB+.
    That's just RDS - My Alpine headunit does it too!

    DAB is a totally different format
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

    2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

    1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

    2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts robmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne / Caulfield
    Posts
    18,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I know there is an adapter. All I wanted was a CD player. Unfortunately I ended up buying a Sony which also had a front USB slot. Bad move. Too many functions, too many buttons, removable front which beeps whenever I switch off the car without removing it, etc, etc.

    All I want is a CD player (forget the USB), with an on/off button, an analogue volume knob and forward and reverse buttons for track selection. Also a graphic equaliser, L-R balance and front-rear fader, preferably located away from the "usable" controls.

    I only want a bit of sound, with controls that can be operated instictively at night whilst looking at the road and with no other driving distractions, a concept that is no longer fashionable.

    John
    I've got a Sony unit too. I suggest you spend 10 minutes investigating what all the buttons do. I did this when I first purchased it and found the functions obvious, almost intuitive.

    Best to the check out without the instructions and without the car moving. I believe the beep is a programming option and removable. The only issue I have is my dyslexia the left top is off , the right top is front panel eject. So I need to lock the front again sometimes.

    Once set up I need to use three buttons, on/off and vol+ vol-
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

    The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

  16. #16
    JBN
    JBN is offline
    1000+ Posts JBN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I've got a Sony unit too. I suggest you spend 10 minutes investigating what all the buttons do. I did this when I first purchased it and found the functions obvious, almost intuitive.

    Best to the check out without the instructions and without the car moving. I believe the beep is a programming option and removable. The only issue I have is my dyslexia the left top is off , the right top is front panel eject. So I need to lock the front again sometimes.

    Once set up I need to use three buttons, on/off and vol+ vol-
    I did exactly that. I find that my fingers are too big and it is too easy to to press the wrong button. I have also accidently push the wrong "off" button, only to find the face fall off. I was in my friends Falcon today and was impressed by the simple design of his built in radio/CD player. No flaps to open, decent sized controls. Still, his car is 10 years younger than the Xantia.

    John

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •