Browsers.
  • Register
  • Help

View Poll Results: Which browser do you use for AF ?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Internet Explorer

11 19.30%
  • Firefox

25 43.86%
  • Chrome

12 21.05%
  • Safari

9 15.79%
  • Opera

7 12.28%
  • Mobile

3 5.26%
  • Other

2 3.51%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Browsers.

XTC

Default Browsers.

Been using Chrome for AF lately (now that Chrome has matured a bit) ... it seems faster than FF/Safari/IE.

And while there is 20+ different browsers, which of the top 6 are you using for AF?

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Was a long tern user of Firefox but after the .NET Framework Assistant security vulnerability I permanently switched to Chrome.

Haven't seen a reason to switch back.

Still use Alta vista and dog pile now and again
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

mlb

Opera here. For both email and browsing.
    Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth.

Very happy with Firefox, which offers excellent Security protection.
    2007 Peugeot 307 XSE

Quote Originally Posted by XTC View Post
    Been using Chrome for AF lately (now that Chrome has matured a bit) ... it seems faster than FF/Safari/IE.

And while there is 20+ different browsers, which of the top 6 are you using for AF?
    I'm using IE.

I had Chrome a few months ago and then something went wrong with it so I went back to IE. Optus said Chrome would give me better speed so I tried to re-install it but now it seems to have changed. I can't seem to do it without turning off my Anti-virus program as that blocks it. Previously I could install it into a folder and then load it up when I was off the internet. Anyway, I'll sort it out some other time.

And I'll stick with IE for now.
    Last edited by okalford; 9th November 2010 at 12:26 AM. Reason: AV
    '66 404 Wagon
    '78 504 Wagon
    '89 505 GTI S II Familiale

Fellow Frogger!

IE for me. Preferred Navigator way back when, but didn't find Firefox's gui appealing. Now IE is the least cumbersome to deal with.

At work I use IE.
    On my mobile Opera Mini,
    at home either Chrome or Firefox

Band spead is so low at home (cable theft = no ADSL only WCDMA) that it is difficult to compare.

I must admit that I prefer Firefox as I'm used to it.

JBN

I use IE because I always have and can't be bothered changing. As my brain slows down, my need for speed also diminishes. Although I don't like Microcrap, it made billions for its founder. I stick with it in the hope some of the of the smaller denominations might dislodge and find a home on my machine.

John

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sandgroper View Post
    Was a long tern user of Firefox but after the .NET Framework Assistant security vulnerability I permanently switched to Chrome.

Haven't seen a reason to switch back.

Still use Alta vista and dog pile now and again
    As firefox user is this something i should be aware of?
    Those people that say I know - generally don't.

Wow - didn't Netscape die a death ? !

Currently a FF user, but friends keep assuring me that Chrome is nice..but I have all my FF plugins working just the way I like !

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post

Currently a FF user, but friends keep assuring me that Chrome is nice..but I have all my FF plugins working just the way I like !

Cheers

Justin
    The FF plugins trap is holding me back as well!

But the plan is to switch to Chrome (real soon now), based one the same theory as the switch from IE to FF was. That is, somewhat away from the mainstream = smaller target fro the miscreants that haunt the web.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others."
    Winston Churchill
    (My benevolent dictatorship is the obvious exception)

Banned

while we are on this general subject, i will just throw in some comments about Linux.
    i have been running it on a spare pc over the last couple of years, just to get a feel for how functional it is. the latest version i have downloaded - Ubuntu 10.10 - is really very good indeed. i have found....
    *with this release, all hardware i plugged in was recognised without problem
    *the pc on which it is installed was not functioning well with XP, but runs significantly faster with Ubuntu installed, despite the increasing size and useabliltiy of Linux
    *networking to to XP machines with Samba was no problem
    *the latest version of OpenOfiice will now run Excel macros, and even VBA code i have written into them.

for the first time, i feel that i could completely do away with Windows, and just run Ubuntu. everything is free, i love the GUI, i love the software center where you can browse through ALL available software. everything works. the only possible downside is no iTunes. still, i see there is a Linux program which claims to interface with iThings. i note too there is a distro called Linux XP Pro, which claims to allow you to run Windows software. i am going to try that on another old pc, to check it out. if that really is so, it would do away with the last reason i can think of to hang onto Windows ie niche software which is Windows only.

personally, i just cant stand the look of Windows, and particularly not IE, but that is just an "I'm a PC/I'am a Mac" kind of a thing. Not entirely sure what 'A linux' looks like, but perhaps it is a penguin?

Re Firefox: i use it and i really like the look of the product, but it is slow to open, compared with, say IE. i dont find that a problem, but i can see that some would find it irritating.
    Last edited by alexander; 10th November 2010 at 05:33 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I use IE because I always have and can't be bothered changing. As my brain slows down, my need for speed also diminishes. Although I don't like Microcrap, it made billions for its founder. I stick with it in the hope some of the of the smaller denominations might dislodge and find a home on my machine.

John
    i hate to break the bad news, but that isnt going to happen

taking a bit of a wild swing, i can really see Microsoft go into a long term decline. Linux is now at a point where, as a moderately savvy home user, i feel it could really start to attack Windows at the home user level, particularly as a pc without Windows is a couple of hundred cheaper. Then there is the Google to consider, who are moving toward Chrome OS, which essentially reduces your OS to a fancy browser with all the storage and apps on their servers. Microsoft Office does nothing - for the home user - which OpenOffice does not, except cost you $400. seems to me that small businessess could user OpenOffice with no problems, but larger companies which rely on the large scale email and databasing in Outlook probably still need to stick with Microsoft. Lastly, i gather back end office servers are increasingly using Linux too, so the world in which MS was ubiquitous is crumbling. i noticed that the nsw RTA use all macs.....

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    i hate to break the bad news, but that isnt going to happen

taking a bit of a wild swing, i can really see Microsoft go into a long term decline. Linux is now at a point where, as a moderately savvy home user, i feel it could really start to attack Windows at the home user level, particularly as a pc without Windows is a couple of hundred cheaper. Then there is the Google to consider, who are moving toward Chrome OS, which essentially reduces your OS to a fancy browser with all the storage and apps on their servers. Microsoft Office does nothing - for the home user - which OpenOffice does not, except cost you $400. seems to me that small businessess could user OpenOffice with no problems, but larger companies which rely on the large scale email and databasing in Outlook probably still need to stick with Microsoft. Lastly, i gather back end office servers are increasingly using Linux too, so the world in which MS was ubiquitous is crumbling. i noticed that the nsw RTA use all macs.....
    I have a Windows (only) app that charts Futures data. The guy that created it is no longer contactable and has possible left the country to ply his trade elsewhere (US?). I have played around with other similar software, but this fills the bill exactly.

Since the OS came preloaded with the Dell laptop and I still use an old (free) version of MS Office, there is no reason for me to change, it is just a tool. That said, I do have an old Dell laptop (with brand new motherboard, screen and HDD) that is in need of an OS and software, so I might try Ubuntu on that. Might make a good Facebook machine for my daughter.

John

Chrome for me. It does seem to be heaps quicker than IE.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

i use IE an the machine at home but on the slow POS i have here at the shop i use chrome otherwise it makes browsing impossible with the resource hungry IE8
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JBN View Post
    I have a Windows (only) app that charts Futures data. The guy that created it is no longer contactable and has possible left the country to ply his trade elsewhere (US?). I have played around with other similar software, but this fills the bill exactly.

Since the OS came preloaded with the Dell laptop and I still use an old (free) version of MS Office, there is no reason for me to change, it is just a tool. That said, I do have an old Dell laptop (with brand new motherboard, screen and HDD) that is in need of an OS and software, so I might try Ubuntu on that. Might make a good Facebook machine for my daughter.

John
    oh look i quite agree that for the most part these things are just tools, so no need to change if they work. i am just relating my experiences, particularly as Linux has the advantages of being free, and running faster on old machines, which can be of useful, and Linux has a strong appeal to those who just cant stand all things MS>
    Last edited by alexander; 10th November 2010 at 08:12 PM.

Firefox on a Mac . The newer release of Safari is better and faster that the one that came with the machine - but we're used to Firefox and so haven't played with Safari too much.
    Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Firefox is Netscape. They made the code open source as they were losing market share and with that came a name change.

Banned

that probably oversimplifies the matter a bit..

Netscape Browser is the name of a proprietary Windows web browser published by AOL, but developed by Mercurial Communications. It is the eighth major release in name of the Netscape series of browsers, originally produced by the defunct Netscape Communications Corporation.

While Netscape Browser's version numbers start at 8, it is based on Mozilla Firefox, whereas Netscape 6 and 7 were based on Mozilla Application Suite, itself a complete rewrite of the codebase developed in versions 1 through 4 - Netscape Navigator and Netscape Communicator. As with other recent versions, it incorporates support for AOL Instant Messenger, and other AOL-related features.

The Netscape Browser series was succeeded by Netscape Navigator 9. However, on December 28, 2007, Netscape developers announced that AOL would discontinue the web browser on February 1, 2008.[1].
    Last edited by alexander; 11th November 2010 at 02:45 AM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default bug 522777

As firefox user is this something i should be aware of?

Sorry Ron

Missed your query,

YES !

Bills troop in their infinite wisdom decided to incude a security vulnerability in their updates. Puts a big hole in what has always been a great browser. ( I had used FF as my core browser for ages ).

They did this without telling anyone, which is why TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES is advice I give to moderately savy Microsoft users. Choose which ones you want to install after it has a look by setting it to NOTIFY.

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=1716

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=522777

Fix

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...work+Assistant

Cheers
    Last edited by sandgroper; 11th November 2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Link Syntax
    93' 205GTi
    'don't force it son - use a bigger hammer'

Banned

would not that problem have been corrected in subsequent Firefox updates? i have recently done a complete fresh install of OS and when i look in the added on extensions, there is no .Net assistant as per the above instructions. so i presume that the issue was an problem, but is no longer.

on the original topic, it is interesting to see how many AFers are actually using Firefox, and it certainly shows in another way, the diminishing penetration of MS.
    Last edited by alexander; 11th November 2010 at 02:04 PM.

XTC

MS "had" 80%+ of the market at one stage - Apple about 5% - Netscape 10% ...

It'll be a 3 way tie between MS, Google and FF soon IMHO.

Banned

i wonder if the above pie chart included browsers used in offices? that would certainly help rationalise the difference between that chart, and the poll in this thread.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    i wonder if the above pie chart included browsers used in offices? that would certainly help rationalise the difference between that chart, and the poll in this thread.
    I think the reason for the difference is that those AFers using IE are still trying to get on AF, and therefore have not as yet voted. The Firefoxes have been, marked their territory and left.

John

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information