The detailing thread!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default The detailing thread!

Some of you me know me but most probably don't. I joined up here just before the big crash after having purchased a 306 S16 which I later discovered was previously owned by a fellow forum member.

Anyway I did have a thread about my car but it is gone now. I'll do another one eventually but I'll leave it for now. I'd like to dedicate this thread to detailing as I'm quite obsessive about it and have spend thousands of $$$ getting set up with the good professional gear. Being a 15 year old car it is fair to say that the paint is in poor condition. Here are a few shots of what I'm up against!

Advertisement

As you can see from the above shots the whole surface of the car is covered in hundreds of very fine scratches otherwise known as swirling. This is the result of a poor washing process and/or inferior products. As a result if this the shine has been dulled down to pretty much nothing. Being a solid colour, the lack of shine is really noticeable!

Anyway after a bit of hard work I have turned the above into this.....

Can even see some reflections!

Have only done a small section of the car so far due to time constraints but hopefully hope to get it finished pretty soon. Some panels are going to need respraying and I'll need to do some wet sanding so it isn't going to happen overnight, but it will happen!

So are there any fellow members who are obsessive about their car's appearance? I'm also happy to answer any questions anyone might have or help out with anything I can.

Cheers,

Adam.

Looks like you are doing a good job...and "red" is a great colour to work with...Yell out if you get stuck or need advice...sounds like you know what you are doing though.

I ve just finished giving my wifes mercedes (also red) a "light" detail...what does that mean? It means that some of the slightly deeper scratches are still there in the name of preservation rather than "all out" presentation...To many detailers out there are still "over-cutting" using compounds that are to heavy and incorrect pads...I havent used wool pads for years...

Current fave products are: K&H optic cutters (3M)...Porzalac for wax (cheap and effective)...K&H polishing pads (yellow,white and black)...

Above are great products and with correct technique deliver the correct result...Finish that doesnt look like it was "cut"...so no swirling let alone burns...A good detail (IMO) should be relatively chemical free in terms of presentation...Eg. what you see at local car yard...to much silicone under engine bay, on plastics and internal trim...
    Mind you there are guys out there that are over the top as well...anally retentive to the extreme...you know the type...measuring paint thickness...2 thousand dollar waxes etc etc... I ve cut an polished, I dont know...maybe a couple thousand cars...i can not ever see myself needing paint thickness guages...if you need to use one then you ve over cut IMO...

dino

oooohweee, I love some good before and after shots of a detailed car!! Keep 'em coming!

Monsieur 405

Inspiration to do my car again for summer!

Good job, especially on the before and after shots! What products did you use?

Cheers,

Joel
    2005 Renault Clio 182 Cup

2011 Renault Megane 250 Cup Trophee - Sold

1997 Peugeot 406 2.0 Manual - On Loan

2004 Citroen C3 1.4 80th Anniversary (RIP)

Love detailing my 306 also. I use Autoglym generally and love the wet wax its so easy and brings a great shine up

XTC

Adam.C

Tools, products, techniques?

I've been mainly using Autoglym, but also experimenting with Chemical Guys, cheaper and seems just as good.

I'm not a fuss pot or pedantic about products on my car.
    Once or twice a year, it gets a thorough cut with water lubed clay, two coats of new finish polish, and almost daily it gets washes with a mit and running water.
    I have a mud puddle at the end of my drive so I'm always washing that mud off.

I'm not a big fan of the fully bling wet look polish on an '80's or earlier car.
    Thats why i didn't respray the new section of my car in 2k. Its just the wrong look (of course only in my opinion.)
    Anyone else is free to make their car look however they like, of course.

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I'm not a fuss pot or pedantic about products on my car.
    Once or twice a year, it gets a thorough cut with water lubed clay, two coats of new finish polish, and almost daily it gets washes with a mit and running water.
    I have a mud puddle at the end of my drive so I'm always washing that mud off.

I'm not a big fan of the fully bling wet look polish on an '80's or earlier car.
    Thats why i didn't respray the new section of my car in 2k. Its just the wrong look (of course only in my opinion.)
    Anyone else is free to make their car look however they like, of course.

Jo

Jo... have you smelt the stuff....Why not just 'kero' your car...Seriously...I know its cheap...but I wouldnt put it on my hands if somebody paid me...next time you "nu finish" your car why not follow that exercise by going out and drilling some holes in asbestos sheeting....

OASN... many who polish/wax their car "OFTEN" do not give sufficient consideration to skin care...
    hence why I avoid products like nu finish...very high petrochemical content (raw) ...not nice for your health...please do MSDS research... I know the cars paint is more important (ofcourse) but its wise to keep away from the nasty stuff...

dino

The wet wax is a spray onproduct wash the car spray lightly then chammi off there it is easy.This website too is also handy http://wetshinedetailing.blogspot.co...glym-high.html

Tadpole

So there are some fellow detailing nuts. Cool!

For those that are interested I did 2 passes of Menzerna 203S Power Finish on a light Festool cutting pad followed by a single pass of Menzerna 85RD Final Finish on a Festool soft polishing pad. 203S is a great one stepper but I like to add the additional stage. All this was done with a Makita 9227CB rotary polisher. I have only done a handful of cars with a rotary so it is still a learning curve for me.

I use carnauba waxes mainly but I do have a couple of sealants such as Zaino Z2 Pro that I do use occasionally. On my previous car which was silver I used P21S100 but it doesn't look all that great on the red. Might have to look at something else. Maybe I'll try the Zaino again.
    Last edited by Adam.C; 9th November 2010 at 08:53 AM.

Thread Information