Name and shame
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Name and shame

Default Name and shame

I just got royally shafted by a Tyre Shop called

SPINNING WHEEL TYRES in alexandria.

I phoned them this morning from the Michelin web site, and asked about Michelin PS3 tyres for my car.
    They told me they had them on the shelf, which was a damn miracle.

Advertisement

If something seems too good to be true, it usually is.

I suggested that I was amazed that they had the stock, and could we just check the size again before I come all the way from the northern beaches.
    They assured me there was no mistake and the tyres were on the shelf x4.

Of course when i got there, there were no tyres on the shelf, and the reason given was that one of the staff had shod his car with them but not updated the inventory on the computer.

By the time I got home about half an hour ago, i'd wasted 3.5 hours, and being Saturday, I'd missed any chance i had of finding a shop with the tyres on the shelf.
    I'm so desperate at this stage, I'd have gone and re shod with yet another set of Cdrives, but everything was shutting up for the weekend and that option was lost till monday.

I'm hopping mad at the moment and figure slagging them off for being hopeless will help me feel better.

At least the guy at Bob Jane who I spoke to just a minute ago was up front enough to say that the details of supply on the computer for PS3 look sketchy at best and that the national orders get placed on monday after lunch, and would phone me as soon as he knows any more.

Jo

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I just got royally shafted by a Tyre Shop called

SPINNING WHEEL TYRES in alexandria.
    I suggested that I was amazed that they had the stock, and could we just check the size again before I come all the way from the northern beaches.
    They assured me there was no mistake and the tyres were on the shelf x4.

Of course when i got there, there were no tyres on the shelf, and the reason given was that one of the staff had shod his car with them but not updated the inventory on the computer.
    Jo
    G'day,
    So when he said he checked the shelf, he really only checked the computer, ie he lied.
    What a royal pain in the arse. Cross them off the Christmas list.

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

that shits me

if people are really interested in customer service they take the walkie phone with them out to the racks and have a visual

i know that's what i do in my shop
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Bloody a-holes Nige. But as they say, what goes around comes around...

Monsieur 405

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo View Post
    what to do, should i have the same number of cars as kids or should i draw the line somewhere
    G'day,
    its time some of the kids left home.

If I tried that sort of stunt, with some of the people I deal with, I'd be wearing the nearest tyre.

regards
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

That sucks. Worse as you mention because you had no time left to try another option after you returned home.
    Did they just gamble that you were enough of a numnuts to just take anything they had after you drove all the way to them?

On the walkie phone thing 'rambo mentioned, there's a a wrecker up this way who will take the phone into the yard and check the car while on the phone to you. That's the service you appreciate.
    2016 Renault Sport Clio Cup EDC 200

Previous

2001 Rx-4 Privilege
    R17TL, 1973
    R20TS x 3
    R18 GTS wagon x 2
    R10

"When you hit the tree between the headlights thats understeer. Oversteer is when you hit the tree between the Tail Lights" - Wayne Bell

Quote Originally Posted by HONG KONG PUGGY View Post
    That sucks. Worse as you mention because you had no time left to try another option after you returned home.
    Did they just gamble that you were enough of a numnuts to just take anything they had after you drove all the way to them?

On the walkie phone thing 'rambo mentioned, there's a a wrecker up this way who will take the phone into the yard and check the car while on the phone to you. That's the service you appreciate.

Looking around the shop, i'd say this is a mob who know their trade, and the boss at least gave me the credit of not being patronising and offering a substitute.
    I actually asked what else they had in this size, Cdrives, contact sports, or something else I hadn't thought of, but he told me there was no substitute available to him today, and my wait for the ps3 was going to be worth it.
    Whilst it was news i didn't want to hear, I respected the truth.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

Spinning Wheel belongs to a friend of mine, who is an expert, having been in the trade for many,many years, and a thoroughly good bloke. It sounds like you were a victim of a very rare stuff-up.

Now half the morons on AF think Sydney's best tyre shop is run by idiots. Well done, Nige.

Tim

1000+ Posts

Nige, what's their phone number? I'll give them a call and order 6 sets of 19 inch tyres for "the fleet".

Quote Originally Posted by PJ810 View Post
    Nige, what's their phone number? I'll give them a call and order 6 sets of 19 inch tyres for "the fleet".

Monsieur 405

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    Spinning Wheel belongs to a friend of mine, who is an expert, having been in the trade for many,many years, and a thoroughly good bloke. It sounds like you were a victim of a very rare stuff-up.

Now half the morons on AF think Sydney's best tyre shop is run by idiots. Well done, Nige.

Tim
    Sorry to name and shame your mate, Tim.
    I'd have loved to write a write up saying how fabulous a time I had spending my hard earned money with Spinning Wheel Tyres, and what a great job they did.

Jo

Fellow Frogger!

So, next time you're late for a gig, because of the guy who owns the van, you won't mind a bit if they form the opinion that, as a musician, you'd make a good dog breeder, and publish it?

Quote Originally Posted by tcusack View Post
    So, next time you're late for a gig, because of the guy who owns the van, you won't mind a bit if they form the opinion that, as a musician, you'd make a good dog breeder, and publish it?
    I'd expect nothing less.

I kicked my best mate out of my business years back after a series of similar type of mistakes to what happened today.
    Things like not turning up for client briefings, or not delivering what you promise to deliver may seem like small things to some people, (and i'm sure in every other case YOU are not one of these people, Tim), but to me they are huge things and to defend them seems a little daft, even if it is your mate.

Jo

why is every one calling him Nige?
    Did i miss something..

And yes I would have been pissed off too!
    Michael
    now Renault-less

1995 Ford Futura V8
    2011 Ssangyong Korando

previous cars;
    81 Sno White R20TS S1
    72 Flame Orange r12 GL sedan
    78 Azure Blue Virage wagon
    75 ghost gum R16 ts
    74 Track blue r12 wagon
    74 Ghost Gum r12 wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I'd expect nothing less.

I kicked my best mate out of my business years back after a series of similar type of mistakes to what happened today.
    Things like not turning up for client briefings, or not delivering what you promise to deliver may seem like small things to some people, (and i'm sure in every other case YOU are not one of these people, Tim), but to me they are huge things and to defend them seems a little daft, even if it is your mate.

Jo
    Hi Jo,

I think that common sense needs to prevail in this case.

It's absolutely unreasonable that you brand a business as incompetent based on one, realistically very minor, stuff up.

I can see you are very p!ssed off but bad mouthing a business based on, what is arguably solely your version of events would seem to letting emotion stand in way of rational and reasonable behavior.

If I were proprietor of the business that you are bad mouthing, Forum Admin would have a very stiff email already!

cheers

Robert

EDIT: And you choose an "open forum" so anyone who goggles the company name stands to see your tirade!

Fellow Frogger!

I'm sure Spinnings Wheels is fine, as I heard good things back when they were in Woolloomooloo.

But equally, the customer was badly messed around, and not for a valid reason (it's two "rare stuff-ups" not one. Stuff-up one was not to record the sale on the computer. Stuff-up two was that the stock wasn't checked when the customer asked for confirmation.) I hate when stores are protected when they do something wrong by not revealing the name.

No generalisation was made that they're always like this, so no reason the name should be covered up.

JBN

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Hi Jo,

I think that common sense needs to prevail in this case.

It's absolutely unreasonable that you brand a business as incompetent based on one, realistically very minor, stuff up.

I can see you are very p!ssed off but bad mouthing a business based on, what is arguably solely your version of events would seem to letting emotion stand in way of rational and reasonable behavior.

If I were proprietor of the business that you are bad mouthing, Forum Admin would have a very stiff email already!

cheers

Robert
    On re reading the initial post, I don't think Jo went overboard. I also think Jo is quite within his rights making negative comments based solely on his version of events. To do so based on other people's version of events is rumour mongering. I can also see why Jo's comments are based on only one (for them) minor stuff up, as I am sure Jo will not be returning to try again.

There is only one chance to create a good initial impression. Obviously there are many other satisfied customers of that business since it has been around a long time.

John

Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    I'm sure Spinnings Wheels is fine, as I heard good things back when they were in Woolloomooloo.

But equally, the customer was badly messed around, and not for a valid reason (it's two "rare stuff-ups" not one. Stuff-up one was not to record the sale on the computer. Stuff-up two was that the stock wasn't checked when the customer asked for confirmation.) I hate when stores are protected when they do something wrong by not revealing the name.

No generalisation was made that they're always like this, so no reason the name should be covered up.

Clearly you have never been involved in defamation or libel cases.

Libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Clearly you have never been involved in defamation or libel cases.

Libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image.
    If it's the truth, it isn't defamation.
    '96 Peugeot 405 SRDT Station Wagon

'71 Peugeot 504 GL - gone

'91 Peugeot 205si - gone

1000+ Posts

It is incredibly frustrating when you SPECIFICALLY ask them to check (because you're coming from a long way away) and then this specific request is not respected, DESPITE the fact that you're going to spend a substantial sum of money with the proprietor.

I don't see it as a minor stuff up. Nigel asked the tosser to check the rack. What he should ALSO have done, is marked the actual product as 'reserved for sale', so that they wouldn't get sold in the meantime.

The truth is that Nigel was told a lie over the phone. In my opinion, a small lie is no better than a big lie. It is also a suggestion of their general attitude to their clients, business, tax, etc. People who lie with the little things are more likely to be liars on more substantial matters too.

Anyway, many people are dishonest. So no surprises there. This particular industry isn't known for being inhabited by saints and angels. Not last time I checked anyway.

Anyway, to put a positive spin on the end of my little posting, Bob Jane in Artarmon, which Nigel recommended to me, have now sold me four sets of tyres, three sets in the last month, with another set on the way. I'd give them a score of 9/10. They're not perfect, but for a tyre place, they're probably right up there and I can't really have any major complaints. They also place a plastic bag over the seat of my Peugeot 605, whereas they don't bother with most other cars, like Golfs. I like that. I think it is really good.

Banned

the current situation...

Before January 2006, defamation varied from state to state across Australia, but now there are Uniform Defamation Laws which are similar across all states and territories. The uniform laws adopted and adapted a number of statutory provisions from old laws but still retain the basic principles of common law, which traditionally defines defamation as:

The publication of any false imputation concerning a person, or a member of his family, whether living or dead, by which (a) the reputation of that person is likely to be injured or (b) he is likely to be injured in his profession or trade or (c) other persons are likely to be induced to shun, avoid, ridicule or despise him.

Publication of defamatory matter can be by (a) spoken words or audible sound or (b) words intended to be read by sight or touch or (c) signs, signals, gestures or visible representations, and must be done to a person other than the person defamed.

Who can sue?

Under the old system of individual state laws, almost anyone or any organisation or company could bring an action for defamation. However, under the Uniform Defamation Law, corporations with 10 or more employees cannot sue. However, be warned that individuals or groups of individuals employed by or associated with that corporation - such as company directors, CEOs or managers - can still sue if they are identified by the publication.

Not-for-profit organisations can still sue for defamation, no matter how many employees or members they have.

Truth

Truth (which is also called justification) is probably the best defence. Formerly in some states (such as NSW, Queensland, Tasmania and the ACT) truth was only a defence if you could prove that a ‘public interest’ was served by publishing the defamatory words. This requirement has been dropped from the Uniform Defamation Law and now there is a defence if the defendant can prove that the defamatory imputations are substantially true.
    http://www.thenewsmanual.net/Resourc...tralia_02.html
    Last edited by alexander; 7th November 2010 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by viragewagonman View Post
    why is every one calling him Nige?
    Did i miss something..
    Only his friends are allowed to call him Nige. Sometimes when I'm feeling particularly brazen I call him Nigel, but he usually insists on me calling him mr proffi, don't you Nige.

Some of his 'special' friends call him after midnight.

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by catshamlet View Post

Some of his 'special' friends call him after midnight.

Mike.
    yes, apparently that is when he lets it all hang out.

Jo's REAL name is Nigel Mansell... at least he drives as fast as Mansell...

Monsieur 405

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    yes, apparently that is when he lets it all hang out.
    I hope you've hard evidence to back that up?

Mike.
    Started out with nothing, still got most of it left.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information