is this there more, or is this it.
  • Register
  • Help

Default is this there more, or is this it.

I have a question regarding the site rebuild.

I hope this doesn't come accross like a complaint or anything, just a query from someone with no idea whats really going on in regards to the rebuild.
    If it has been covered elsewhere, sorry.

It relates to time linearity.

Is the forum as we see it now going to continue to build from this moment onwards without major additions from archives, or is there more uploading to be done.

In other words, should I have started a new 'tool talk' thread, or will the old one turn up one day, making for heaps more work as the two threads potentially need merging???

I suppose the same goes for plenty of other post 2006 perpetual threads.

Advertisement

Jo

I can't answer most of your queries Jo, but I do know that most forum software gives you the option of merging threads. Doing this chronologically means that if an old thread were resurrected it could be merged into an new version without to much effort.

From what I understand happened to the site though it doesn't sound like any post 2006 data is recoverable, but I'll let better informed members comment on that one.

cheers
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

So, er.....what exactly DID happen, someone ????

gibgib would be the one to ask. My understanding is that the ISP host did something very silly resulting in the loss of both the online and backup copies of the forum. Amazing to think such a thing could happen, but heh thats life...
    Biologist
    ----------------
    A
    one Megane Family

Quote Originally Posted by biologist View Post
    gibgib would be the one to ask. My understanding is that the ISP host did something very silly resulting in the loss of both the online and backup copies of the forum. Amazing to think such a thing could happen, but heh thats life...
    That's pretty well it!
    I'll do up something formal later & do as an announcement.

We have left a gap between the last post of March 2006 post approx #376,000. So we started here at 900,000. Similar thing with the threads.

The gathering of lost data will be a manual thing, trolling other archives on the internet & filling in the gaps as we go.
    We should be able to compile a mysql query which will add the data back into the database & it will look as it did before. Unfortunately so things are just GAWN

Thanks for the reply's.
    I guess its just continue on from here then, and treat anything found as a bonus.
    Thanks again giggig for providing us this forum.

Jo

Thread Information