Peugeot 206 HDi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Peugeot 206 HDi

Cal

Peugeot 206 HDi

Has anybody driven one? I can't for the life of me find a fast car to hire in Europe at a 1/2 decent price. Therefore I have decided to hire something like a 206 HDi for all the kms I am going to do (I am actually going to lease it because I want it for a month). I will then hire a Super 7 for a few days to go to the Nurburgring. I know the diesel isn't sold here, but I was wondering if anybody has driven one in Europe or read any reviews?

Advertisement

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Cal,

Here's something that may give you a bit of a clue or at worst a starting point.
    I know it's the "other side of the fence" but they really ain't all that scarey once ya get ta know 'em.

<a href="http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/html/h/hdi90test.html" target="_blank">http://www.citroen.mb.ca/citroenet/html/h/hdi90test.html</a>

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

nJm
    Cal, I suggest you have a look at the Citroen eurodrive program. Their rates for the lease are cheaper than both Peugeot and Renault. My family is going to France and England this year, and we are looking at getting something along the lines of an Hdi Xsara or C5, depending on how much room we think we'll need (will investigate propperly closer to the time).

<a href="http://www.citroen.com.au/driveeurope.html" target="_blank">http://www.citroen.com.au/driveeurope.html</a>

One interesting point is a C3 1.4 HDi Exclusive 5spd costs the same amount as a Xsara 2.0 HDi SX 5spd manual ($1670 for 23 days, $30 per day after).

<small>[ 23 January 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: nJm ]</small>
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Peugeot & Renault are currently offering 7 free days.

travel.com.au also has a special going for Peugeot. Bear in mind - to take advantage of these specials, you do need to pay in advance.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    Cal, different car I know, but CAR has a long term test 307SW diesel and they're getting a measured 52.3 mpg out of the thing. Brilliant.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Are you thinking the diesel for economy or lugging power or what?
    This might be telling you what you consider the bleeding obvious but there are so many stories out there about Europeans driving diesels I thought it was worth reminding you that if it's economy you need you want to look at how much the base petrol version costs in comparison and how many ks you'll do with what fuel costs.
    Nine years ago I leased a base AX (1litre) for three weeks. Considered the diesel, but given that it was more expensive to lease and I was basically just scooting from Paris down to Provence and doing a bit of touring around the coast (totalled 3840ks) it wasn't worth the difference to get the diesel version.
    Almost five years ago I leased a base 106 for three months, doing 14920ks (you guessed it - I wasn't going to pay for the 15000k service when there wasn't much more I wanted to see). Again, the daily rate for the diesel was so much more expensive that it was touch and go as to what would have been cheaper overall.
    If economy is the measure, add up your ks and do some surfing to check out relative fuel costs. (And another piece of possibly irrelevant info -if you're travelling much in France fuel used to nearly always be cheapest at the pumps located at super/hypermarkets.)
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

nJm
    In a small car like an AX or 106 I don't doubt the diesel would hold very little over a petrol if any, but if talking about larger, heavier cars such as a Scenic or a 406, I would expect a diesel to be better.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Cal
    Bruce H:
    Are you thinking the diesel for economy or lugging power or what?
    This might be telling you what you consider the bleeding obvious but there are so many stories out there about Europeans driving diesels I thought it was worth reminding you that if it's economy you need you want to look at how much the base petrol version costs in comparison and how many ks you'll do with what fuel costs.
    Nine years ago I leased a base AX (1litre) for three weeks. Considered the diesel, but given that it was more expensive to lease and I was basically just scooting from Paris down to Provence and doing a bit of touring around the coast (totalled 3840ks) it wasn't worth the difference to get the diesel version.
    Almost five years ago I leased a base 106 for three months, doing 14920ks (you guessed it - I wasn't going to pay for the 15000k service when there wasn't much more I wanted to see). Again, the daily rate for the diesel was so much more expensive that it was touch and go as to what would have been cheaper overall.
    If economy is the measure, add up your ks and do some surfing to check out relative fuel costs. (And another piece of possibly irrelevant info -if you're travelling much in France fuel used to nearly always be cheapest at the pumps located at super/hypermarkets.)
    Good advice, I will have to do some thinking about how many kms I might do in the trip. To be perfectly honest, performance was what I was looking for. Nothing even 1/2 performance orientated is offered though. I then started thinking about trying to rent something fast for a couple of days and something cheap to run for the rest of the time.

Cal.
    1995 Mazda MX5 - 2F Race Car
    1990 Mercedes 300TE
    1990 Mercedes 230E
    1977 Jaguar XJS V12
    1971 Morris Mini 1100K
    1967 Porsche 911S
    1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Thread Information