• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: LANCIA

Fellow Frogger!

LANCIA

HAS ANYONE HERE DRIVEN A LANCIA?

Advertisement

jr
    james, yes i have driven many a lancia from integrale /gamma/to beta. i presently have 4 lancia"s [and 2 peugeots] what would u like to know about driving them??

------------------

I haven't, but I sure felt like asking if I could when I was standing next to the Lambda that was still in the only garage it's ever lived in...

1000+ Posts
    Hmmmmmm...4 Lancia's and 2 Peugeots? What's your surname, JR...........Ewing?

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    yeah i drove a lancia beta hp i think it was
    not a bad car but i wouldn't own one
    but that's just me
    it went quite well but i fould it noisey and pretty rough on the road
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

jr, would you know if the lancia delta integrale bonnet vents are available in oz?
    the ones i'm talking about are the rectangular ones that go across the bonnet.
    about 80-100cm across and 15-20cm high.
    i got a price from lancia over in europe and they're about $300 each.
    and no i dont have a lancia

Andreas

I'd love to have a drive of a Lancia Fulvia Coupe (especially the 1.6) and a Lancia Beta Coupe.
    There's something about the little Fulvia which makes it very attractive (like alot of 1960's Italian cars). The V4 with a single head is a neat idea.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Fellow Frogger!
    Andreas, if your looking for Intergrale bonnet vents this place sells them (or similar ones) for about UKP30.
    www.ccmotorsport.co.uk

When I do an Mi16 conversion on my 205 (itll be awhile) I'm going to give her some Z3 style vents to let the extra heat out.

1000+ Posts
    Dave, my thoughts exactly. The Fulvia 1.6 HF goes on my top ten of desirable cars (in an accesible price range). And the one head idea has been used successfully now by VW (in their VR5 VR6) and Audi (in their W engines). The old B20GT is also a favourite of mine...

Just thought I'd bore you all with that.

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

thanks Izza,

forgot about the RGM ones.
    just have to find out if they're the same size.
    if they are i'll be getting them from http://www.needforspeed.co.uk instead.
    they're a bit cheaper and have answered all of my emails in the past.

$80 is alot better than the $300 or so i've been quoted for the original steel ones.

Andreas

jr
    no stuey, its not jr EWING but i got LOL. more like...youve heard of lifestyles of the rich and famous....well to me its lifestyles of the poor and pitiful!!
    pugrambo, u drove the hpe coupe and said u wouldnt own one..u must remember that they are old cars now, designed 30 years ago. the beta coupe is much lighter and quicker. twincam/irs/4wheel discs/rear headrests and still handles better than alot of new cars so many years on. the rust is free of course!

------------------

Does anyone know how well a Lancia Delta handles?

I've been reading an automobile engineering textbook (imaginatively called 'The Motor Vehicle). It talks about the Delta's suspension system. In fact it writes of the Delta's rear suspension "A particularly good example of a MacPherson strut-type rear suspension...".

I'm not sure about the quality of examples this text uses because in talking about cylinder heads it writes "An outstandingly good cylinder head design is that of the Dolomite Sprint..."
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

The Dolomite Sprint head is a clever one, for it uses the two camshaft lobes to operate the four valves, ie. the inlet and exhaust valves are opened by the same cam lobes. It was the block in that engine that let the side down... don't know if the SAAB version (ie. the one made by SAAB, not the one bought from Triumph) uses the same head layout.

One flaw in the book is the fact that rear struts are called McPherson struts. They have been more popularly (and probably correctly) known as Chapman struts since Colin used them on the Lotus Elite etc. McPherson, a Ford engineer, IIRC, only envisioned their use on the front end...

I agree, the Dolomite Sprint head seems to be a good design. It shouldn't be confused with the standard Dolomite/Saab 99 8 valve head, which is fairly ordinary. The base model Chrysler Neon also uses a single cam to drive 16 valves, although the 150hp model is a twin cam.

Alot of books these days seem to refer to rear struts as McPherson struts.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

I guess Colin's having a gentle roll in his grave then... that is, if he's really dead!

Struts have sure come a long way since they replaced the transverse leaf/beam axle of the Ford Pilot!

Most scientific approach, of course, was the fitment on the 404, but it was overkill, so there aren't any races under the springs any more....

1000+ Posts
    In design terms the rear strut IS a MacPherson strut. If you read anything about the Lotus Elite, the story is told like Chapman took a MacPherson strut and put it on the back of the Elite (and others). Really it's simply a MacPherson strut at the other end of the car. Mind you, I believe a lot of the rear ones don't have an upper rotational bearing. Hmmmm...I suppose if I put that Gurney flap on my son's soapbox racer aerofoils, I can call it a Stuart flap...

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I think you'll find that the stub axle and steering rotation is part and parcel of the McPherson Stut design and patent.

Chapman had a hub carrier etc at the base of his, and it was securely anchored to give fixed toe properties. There really is enough difference to call it another name, and everyone I've ever read on the subject accepted that.

Getting back to my original question, was the Lancia Delta a good handling vehicle?

And another question, is the Saab 9000 (late 80s model) a rebadged Delta (or the other way round)?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Bill,

Maybe neither was rebadged. Perhaps they were designed jointly by both companies, just as the PRV V6 was jointly designed by Peugeot, Renault and Volvo.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

[B]Getting back to my original question, was the Lancia Delta a good handling vehicle?

What constitutes a Delta?

A normal Delta was seen as a pretty average sort of vehicle according to contemporary tests. The Delta Integrale is another thing altogether! Sort of like comparing an Impreza "L" and a WRX, or better, a Celica SX and the GT-Four.

>And another question, is the Saab 9000 (late 80s model) a rebadged Delta (or the >other way round)?

The Lancia didn't get a look in with that crowd. It was the Fiat Croma and Saab 9000 with the Alfa 164 sharing the same floorpan.

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Simon,
    Lancia Delta is unrelated to the "Type 4" cars of the 80's (Fiat Croma, Alfa 164, Saab 9000). It was the Lancia Thema. This car was very similar in body shape and basic design to the Fiat Croma. While the Fiat looked like a Mazda 626 of same era the Lancia was more stylish. The ultimate incarnation of the Thema was the 8.32 which scored a Ferrari V8 from the 328 GTB. Driving the front wheels it must be one of the most powerful FWD cars of all time.

The other two Type 4 cars were the Saab 9000 and Alfa 164. The Saab was similar in body to the Fiat and Lancia (eg. same doors) but engine completely different and I think suspensions very different too (but I could be wrong on this). The Alfa 164 had a completely diffent body (beautiful Pininfarina design) and suspension, and basically shared only the floorplan. At the stage it was designed Alfa had not yet been merged with Fiat, but I think this happened at about the time of the cars release.

Of the Type 4 cars, the Fiat seems to have been unloved. The Alfa 164 was something of a turnaround car for the company andthe Saab 9000 was the most long lived with its replacement the 9-5 only appearing in 1999.

What constitutes the Lancia Delta? This was very much in the mould of the VW Golf Mk1 (small-medium FWD car designed by Guigiaro, but without "German precision"). I know nothing about the handling of the FWD versions but the AWD rally version is 'sposed to be amazing. I've seen a few of these in NZ but never Aus.
    Paul
    "Indecision is the key to flexibility" Anon.

seeing as both the Alfa 164 and Pug 405 were designed by Pininfarina would I be right in assuming that the v6 alfa engine that's in the 164 would fit into the 405 pretty easily?
    that's something i'm starting to look into.

Andreas

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jamesnj:
    HAS ANYONE HERE DRIVEN A LANCIA?

Getting back to the original topic,
    Lancia's, on a clear day you can hear them going rusty.
    Yes I've driven Lancia's, hundreds of them, bloody good car, if you like rust.
    Best one I drove was a Fulvia 1.6 HF, fantastic, great power, great handling, fantastic exhaust note and wonderful gear change, I remember chucking it back to third on the freeway and did it take off, I was told it was one of 3 in the country, I had to clean it up for sale, I remember when the add came out there was a bloke at the door before the sun came up, bought it on the spot and said it was going to his private museum, that was the last I saw of it.
    I've restored lots of Beta's, HPE and coupe, the most memerable was a Zagarto Spyder, there photos of it on our website, this was a private import from England and rust, you've never seen anything like it, it was bad even for an Italian car, we had to replace the whole floor pan and chassis from bumber to bumber, of course we couldn't get a Zegarto floor pan so we had to make one from a HPE, what a job, The car was great when finished and actually won a prize at the national Lancia day, but I'll never get over it.
    Funny thing about that Lancia day, the car park was full of Peugeot's because thats what Lancia drivers drove as back up cars, I didn't look but I bet all the Pugs had tow bars.
    Seeya's
    David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts
    Ray, you're right, I'm wrong I haven't read about Chapman & Co for ages, and my memory's going.

David, ever driven the HPE Volumex (the supercharged one)?

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey,
    A supercharged HPE? Now that would be fun, I didn't know there was such an animal, I remember complaining they needed a bit more power, all twin cams need twin carbies but a supercharger, I only said a BIT more power.
    Are there any out here?
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

frenchconnect@bigpond.com

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information