Routes
  • Help

Thread: Routes

Fellow Frogger!

Routes

Can anyone recommend some interesting driving routes out of Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne or Cairns?
    Would also like recommendations about routes suitable for offroad driving with a 4x4 that would be good day trips out of Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne.
    Does anyone of any Australian 4x4 message boards?

Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!
    Brisbane :

Mt Glorious Road, Mt Tambourine National park, Numinbah Valley (behind the Gold Coast)

Melbourne :

You cannot go past the Great Ocean Road.

Chipper

James,

Here is a website of a friend of mine who is a pilot & does aeriel trips as well as hires 4WD. May be of interest if only to see what's available & link to other 4WD hirers.
    Word to the wise though. In this territory be very careful how you try throwing a 4WD around. I see about one a week upside down or hear reports of them mainly tourists. (Not the place for left foot braking )

Alan S
    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~fras...ser/af/air.htm

If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Out of Sydney there are heaps of terrific roads. eg.
    1. Old pacific highway through Gosford up to Newcastle.
    2. Over the great western hwy thru the blue mountains to Lithgow then back to Sydney via Bells Line of road.
    3. Even driving up the northern beaches peninsula from Manly to Palm beach.
    4. Terrific roads in the southern highlands southwest of sydney around bowral and mittagong. You will see alot of old peugeots out this way.
    5. The best till last ... Kangaroo valley which is between southern highlands district and the coast south of sydney. Spectacular views too. Nice if you have a 205 or 306 GTi for the hairpin bends.

There are heaps I haven't mentioned.

For 4wd trails there is some great offroading in the barrington tops national park but you need to arrange permission with local farmers. If you get in touch with a local 4wd club they can often arrange it. If you like sand driving there are terrific dunes up past newcastle at stockton beach. This was publicly accessible when I was there last about 5 years ago.
    "Indecision is the key to flexibility" Anon.

Barrington is a good idea (even without going off road and needing permission), and also the road north from Barrington through Nowendoc to Armidale, an excellent alternative on a Brisbane/Sydney or return drive. Great views, sparse traffic.
    One I really like is from Euroa to Merton, then down through Alexandra to Healesville and round to Packenham. Some glorious sights there and a much better way to go into Melbourne than the freeway.
    Anything around Gippsland is nice, once you get into that area.
    Go to this thread on Atlas F1 to see what it's like in the Adelaide Hills...http://www.atlasf1.com/bb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14846
    Good driving territory, and better scenery than that shows.
    Driving around the Snowy Mountains is good too, lots of variety there.
    And heading south from Brisbane, turn off south of Beaudesert onto the Lions Road for a very different descent into Kyogle...

I'm keen on the Putty road (between Singleton & Windsor NSW). As long as you don't get caught behind a slow vehicle you can have a lot of fun.
    The roads behind Mt Coot-tha in the Brisbane area I remember to be quite good too. Chipper mentions this?

Ray mentioned the snowy mountains. A great trip is to go the alpine way from the victorian border up to deadhorse gap near thredbo. The road is unsealed for much of the way and there is great offroading at daley's flat and tom groggin station. Then you have teriffic tarmac from thredbo to jindabyne.

Paul505exec mentioned Kangaroo Valley - which I completely agree with. However, a little further on is the Jenolan Caves. The road leading to the caves is very tight, challenging, and the views are spectacular - heaps of fun

Closer to Sydney is the Ku-ring gai Chase National Park (roads are a bit rough) and the Royal National Park in Southerland (however, there can be lots of cops in the area )
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Billtran,
    Jenolan Caves road is excellent! Twice driven this road (once in an Alfetta GTV the other time as a passenger in a series one BMW 528i). The bitumen from the Great Western Highway is narrow, twisty, bumpy and often clogged with tour busses, but on the other side of Jenolan caves there are terrific dirt roads that are smooth.
    Cheers, Paul

Thread Information