C3 vs. 206
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: C3 vs. 206

C3 vs. 206

Dumb observations #1
    I find the 206 1.4 a fair bit nicer to drive than the C3, but it's basically the same car. Nonetheless the C3 is a pretty good value package isn't it. Let down only by its electric power steering. How common is electric power steering these days? What other cars have it?
    I wish 'Citroen' wouldn't persist with this awful electric power steering however. Way too light and insensitive. Must be a lot cheaper to make. Couple of Pugs have had it too, and they are similarly crappy in the steering.
    Interestingly; looking underneath both cars side by side on a hoist (1.4 206 and C3) the C3 has rear coil springs, instead of the 206's torsion bars and the C3 cops a centre muffler (and one at the end)and heat shield where the 206 just has one rear muffler and no heat shield. Small variations on a common theme.

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

1000+ Posts
    There are two types of electic assistance that I know of; the electically driven pump and servo assisted rack. A few reasons are given for it. The electrically driven pump is better for economy because the engine doesn't drive the pump. The power assistance works better at parking speeds because the pump can give assistance independent of engine speed; and finally, the pump only works when needed. I remember there are a few cars with it now, the MGF being one. Stu.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I believe Holden Astra's and Barina's both have electric pump driven power steering.

The C3 I drove has amazingly light steering when parking, though I didn't really get to try it out on the open road.

I found the electric steering was fine at speed, and brilliantly easy at parking speeds - amazingly easy.

You could probably steer with your nose if you wanted to!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

BTW, which Peugeots use the electric power steering. I can only think of the 307.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Ive just got the new C3 and I love the steering. It is much lighter than the R19 that I had but it is much younger I guess.

rek
    The steering is light, but does it have 'feel'/give good feedback?

I drove my father's Honda Prelude recently, and was appaled by how light the steering is.. sure, you could drive it with your little finger, but it was so devoid of feel; it felt like there was no connection with the road whatsoever! Very un-nerving, especially coming from a 306 with relatively weighty power steering (and heaps of feedback through the wheel.)

BTW.. when you're talking about these sorts of issues (steering/pedal feel, etc.) with not-so-enthusiasts, do they look at you like you're insane, and think you're just making up excuses why you got a Froggymobile instead of a Corolla or something?
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Warwick2:
    Couple of Pugs have had it too, and they are similarly crappy in the steering.
    i realise that i am not up to anything newer than the 306 in pugs but i can't think of any other pugs that were sold in this country that had electric power steering
    the 605 had electronically controled rear suspension and that's about as close as i can recall
    i do know that the 307 has it where as the 206 didn't
    i must admit though after having a close up look at a 307 that long ago i wasn't all that impressed with the car as a package
    it just didn't seem that pug like to me
    it seems that peugeot have taken a totally different tact after the 206
    i'm afraid that after the 306 goes to another home and if it's replaced with a 406 that it will most probably be the latest model pug that i would have in the drive
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

VIP Sponsor
    The power to run the electrics comes from the alternator, this takes power from the engine and is probably only 50% efficient.
    Therefore the electric steering will take more power than the hydraulic, maybe less when not being used (driving in a straight line).

I found the steering and handling of the 307 HDI I drove recently to be superb. Not so good was the noisy rear suspension (the car is incredibly quiet on hot mix with NO wind noise) and the heat radiation off the dash.

The 406 I found to have better fuel economy, must be the intercooler, and all in all the 406 HDI has very few faults to complain about. The engine would absolutely fly in a 405 (400kg lighter).

Graham Wallis

The issue of efficiency passed me by, but the manufacturers claim that fuel efficiency is improved by a few percent via electric power steering.

Don't know how far that is true, but the fuel consumption I'm getting in the 307 is very good - considering it's weight and the fact it has a slushbox.

The huge frontal glass area does turn the car into a glasshouse though - I'd hate to see what the car would be like without an athermic screen. You can certainly tell the difference on a hot cloudy day, vs a sunny warm day - the A/C prefers a hot cloudy day without all that sun.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Thread Information