A very successful 2002!
  • Register
  • Help

A very successful 2002!

In 2002 Peugeot managed a 92.1% increase in sales over 2001! 307 sales alone almost equalled the entire 2001 sales total.

For more details, click <a href="http://users.bigpond.net.au/skystar/peugeot307/" target="_blank">here</a> and click on News in the menu. It's the latest news entry.

How did the other French marques go?

Cheers,

Justin

Advertisement

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

From a Renault press release:

-----------------------------------------------
    In Australia, 2002 was Renault's first full year in the country since its return in May 2001. Renault consolidated its presence with two new vehicles in the range; Clio and Laguna launched earlier last year, and five more dealerships, bringing the network to 25 dealerships at the end of 2002. As a result, Renault sold 4,572 vehicles during the year, compared to 1,947 in 2001. The products have been well received and Clio 1.4 Expression and Laguna V6 Privilège have won the Australian Best Cars awards, respectively in the “Small car” and “Luxury car under $57,000” categories. 2003 will confirm the establishment of Renault in the market with the introduction of Trafic, the first model of the LCV range and, toward the end of the year, the launch of new Mégane.
    -----------------------------------------------
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

Pug307:
    How did the other French marques go?
    Don't know what the exact number was, but Citroen sold about 1700 cars last year, about a 69% increase over 2001 sales. Hopefully the C3 can help boost the numbers a similar amount this year.

Does anybody know what the breakdown was in terms of the different models?

Troy.

rek
    Sounds like they are all going bloody well then!

Peugeot's 92% increase is staggering, especially when you consider that their volumes weren't that low last year either (making such a percentage increase all the more difficult.)

In just the past few months I've seen a lot of C5s about the place .. with that and the C3 I think Citroën will be in for a great year.

I wonder, though, how the Australian market will respond to the latest Renault design theme (e.g. the new Mégane); our market tends to be quite conservative re: styling.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Had we been able to get enough cars Peugeot would have sold stacks more. This is the eternal problem selling these cars.
    Citroen has done a huge job. from 1005 to 1705. This C3 will sell heaps and things will improve a lot for them. Love to know how many Lagunas Renault sold.
    ISn't it great that the French marques are not taking sales of each other, but from the Japanese. Honda to a large extent I'd reckon.
    Daewoo and Volvo are down(good thing too), Jaguar and Alfa are up, and VW down too. heh heh
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Daewoo and Volvo are down(good thing too)
    Oi! There's nothing wrong with a socially responsible car! There's plenty wrong with the lost souls in PAG marketing though. I think you'll see the big Swede's sales grow in 2004 with the XC90 hitting our shores. Up to a year's wait in some markets, and I don't remember a Volvo model that has had so many presales before.

Back to the Frogs. From April till November, the Laguna sold 578 units. Bear in mind, some of those will be rental cars. Selling better than the 406, but that's not really much of an achievement - the 406 is ageing in the market. C5 is selling better than it.

Warwick, you can sell Cits down at Straightway can't you?

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Warwick2:
    ISn't it great that the French marques are not taking sales of each other, but from the Japanese. Honda to a large extent I'd reckon.
    There's an old saying "There's no such thing as bad publicity" which is why every green salesman is told to NEVER knock the opposition. On the other side of the coin, what's the point of promoting the opposition as they have done! mallet
    That model Honda that on the TV commercial looked so much like a WRC 206 it was in team colours (the one with the robots) and the constant reference in ads by some of the Jap & Korean brands referring to "European Styling, quality & comfort" must have saved European manufacturers a fortune; they don't have to promote these features if the opposition will kindly do it for them; for free.... dance dance

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

The following only refers to Australia in passing, but does show sales statistics in Europe/France for Laguna II

Of course, the market is totally different to Australia, but I thought the C5 would have been closer in sales...

=================================================
    In 2002, European sales of Laguna II increased by 10% as compared with 2001, with a D segment share of 8.7%. Second of the volume-manufacturer cars behind the VW Passat, the Renault Laguna II claimed 5th place in the segment ahead of the Ford Mondeo and Opel Vectra. In excellent company,
    of German origin - BMW 3-series, VW Passat, Audi A4, Mercedes C-class - Laguna II was thus one of the top six best-selling models with more than
    200,000 registrations in 10 months. These were followed at some distance by a group of models comprising the Opel Vectra, Citroen C5 and Peugeot
    406, all selling between 100,000 and 130,000 units in the 10 months.

In France, Laguna II was well in the lead among cars in its class with a 27.7% share of the segment and a 4.5% share of the market as a whole in 2002, well ahead of its two direct French competitors.

Today, Laguna II enjoys sales success in more than 60 countries worldwide. It has benefited from special adaptation to the operating conditions found in various parts of the globe (heavy-duty suspension, engines adapted to
    different fuel qualities). Ouside Europe its main export markets have been Japan, Russia, Australia, South Africa, Brazil and Mexico.
    With the benefit of its developments and supported by the increase in diesel sales and of the shift of mix towards the Sport Tourer version (35%), Laguna II should continue to improve its share of the D segment in 2003.

total D segment sales in Europe to end Nov 2002
    % share of D segment, Volumes

1- BMW - 3-series 12.1 323,055
    2 - Volkswagen - Passat 10 266,254
    3 - Audi - A4 9.7 259,571
    4- Mercedes - C-class 8.9 238,357
    5 - Renault - Laguna II 8.7 232,075
    6- Ford - Mondeo 8.7 231,497
    7- Opel - Vectra 5.4 143,499
    8- Citroën - C5 5.1 136,295
    9- Peugeot - 406 4 106,122

total D segment sales in France to end Nov 2002
    % share of D segment, Volumes

1- Renault - Laguna II 27.7 90,095
    2- Citroen - C5 12.7 41,265
    3- Peugeot - 406 12.4 40,340
    4- Volkswagen - Passat 7.6 24,621
    5- BMW - 3-series 6.4 20,674
    6- Ford - Mondeo 5.9 19,074
    7- Mercedes - C-class 5.8 18,880
    8- Audi - A4 5 16,438
    9- Opel - Vectra 2.9 9,365
    '05 Pearl Black Mégane 5-Door LXR(Daily Driver), '75 Trak Yellow R16TSA (Parts Car), '74 Midnight Blue R17TS (Rebuilding), '73 457 Blue R17TL (Parts Car), '72 Alpine White R16TL (Retired), '69 Sunburst Brown R16TS (Awaiting Rebuild), '68 "Appliance White" Europa (Stored)

I always found the "European styling" comments from the non Euro marques to be funny - bunch of wannabees

Looks like the 406 is starting to struggle - normally Peugeots outsell the Citroen counterparts.

Never realised how well the 3 Series sold - I know it sells, didn't expect it to be the class leader though!

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

rek
    Pug307:
    I always found the "European styling" comments from the non Euro marques to be funny - bunch of wannabees
    Yeah it sounds like such a cop-out. Who is it in here that has the signature line, "I don't want European styling, I just want European"

Never realised how well the 3 Series sold - I know it sells, didn't expect it to be the class leader though!
    Probably because it's the dream of the masses to have a car with the propeller roundel on the front .. even if it is just a 316i with wind-up windows wink
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

rek
    Probably because it's the dream of the masses to have a car with the propeller roundel on the front .. even if it is just a 316i with wind-up windows wink [/QB]
    Good call!!!lol, @ my work we will see 15 320i's before a 330 or M3!!, good to see the french doing well overall anyway.
    I'd like to see how the SW series and the C3 do overseas.
    Today in sydney CBD they had 3 trucks two with C3 envy signs/ads and one with a C3 (just like Dekas) on the back in a disco style trailer, whilst playing french pop music.
    Xq
    ... ptui!

Thread Information