French Car Day 8/7/01
  • Register
  • Help

French Car Day 8/7/01

I have uploaded some pics from the recent French Car Day in Sydney.

I know Gib Gib missed it so they might come in handy =)

Advertisement

Check them out at;

http://www.geocities.com/french_car_day/

Gib - I hope its OK by you...i used the aussiefrogs logo to get a bit of exposure for the site.

=)

Brendan C

Hey

Great pic's

Wasn't a bad turnout

Cant wait for this weekend with the Qld one.

Ash
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

Great pictures Brendan

My car looks really good!

http://www.geocities.com/french_car_...1/RIMG0014.JPG

Paul

------------------
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Hi Paul,

That's a very lovely car you have. What D model is it? Is it in a concourse condition (or close?)? What kind of work have you put into it and what were the costs like?

Also wonder if you or anybody else reading this know anything about the gorgeous black DS there? I almost had to pick my jaw off the ground when I saw it! A true goddess!

Thanks,
    Bill.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Hi Bill,

The car is a late 74 23EFI BW Auto, with the original full width A/C unit.

I bought it from Continental Cars 3 years ago, and have put a lot (probably too much!) money into it.

The most recent job was a complete engine rebuild, which included scraping the front chassis back to bare metal and painting with POR15, repairing all the minor rusty bits at the front, some more major rust in the passengers footwell where the A/C had leaked water, and insulating the firewall completely - a job I highly recommend. The insulation has transformed the car.

As part of the rebuild I bought an aluminium radiator from CCA in the US, which has proved to be a good, but expensive investment. I also put in fluid filled engine mounts from them, which I am still not convinced about - the car has a bad boom at 3000rpm, which is close to 100ks in an auto, so is very annnoying. We are still working on that one.

I also bought the last two new front door skins available frome Continental Cars, and replaced both back doors (I had whacked one on a post in a narrow lane and the other was too rusty to repair).

Rust has proved to be the biggest problem - late 23s seem to have been made of worse steel, and had worse sealing. I had virtually no roof rails left when we took the roof off two years ago - it was amazing that the car had stayed together at all!

The car now performs beautifully - it is (for a D) very fast, quiet, if not all that economical. I am planning to fix the remaning front door, as well as do some work on the front wings before Easter next year - this will include cutting holes in the guards behind the front wheels to let out the hot air - I have the original chrome trim to go here. Lastly she will get a respray - but I can't make up my mind what colour - anything but white!! The car was originally Beige Vanneau, but was painted white about ten years ago.

The gorgeous black car is a DS21 EFI, but is a bit of an oddity as it has 4 speed manual, which looks original, but should not be. It also has old style door handles, but a new dash. It has just had a complete engine overhaul by Denton Christie at Penrith - he is running it in for the owner who did not want to have to do it himself! The cost was I believe close to $15000 for the rebuild.

It was not entered in the concours, or it would have blown the competition away!

All in all a wonderful day, with great weather!

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for putting up the images for us to look at.
    Looks as though it was a good day (as per usual I 'spose).
    The Citroen C5 is a nice car (to look at anyway ). I saw one on the Gold Coast yesterday, overtaking the Volvo I was a passenger in...noting that one was present on the day.
    Great you added the aussiefrogs logo too!

regards,
    gibgib

Thread Information