speed camera questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

speed camera questions

I think I may have been caught by one of every increasing cameras in Sydney. (James Ruse near rosehill/camellia) I have couple of questions reagarding cameras as I am not sure if I have been caught or not.

1. Does it matter where the camera is? I heard the perm cameras are uni-directional. ie Can the camera detect traffic on the opposite side of the road?

2. Does all cameras use a flash? I didn't see any go off (it was at night). I heard somewhere that some may not need flash. But one at James Ruse definately has a flash gun.

Advertisement

3. Can the camera take pictures of oncomming traffic? ie take the front plates.

4. most importantly... is the one in James Ruse operational??

HELP!!!!...

That one was not operational 2 weeks ago but could be now.

Did you notice whether the warning signs were still covered up?

I think you are safe if there was no flash. The newer cameras are improved but I don't think they use infrared for their flash guns:cofused:
    If they are, it is pretty rude

I'd be careful from greater distances from these newer ones as well.

Tadpole
    thanks for the reply.

I went back there today (slowly) and noticed 3 signs were not covered. But definately no flash. I usually go by at night and I think Ive been caught at least 5 times (if it is operational). I would have noticed the flash most definately. pretty darn sneaky indeed... if I knew the camera was there the first time, I wouldn't have gone so damn fast on the second and third and fourth and fifth time... oh well.. better learn to ride the bike again.

Man no wonder you are worried!

Maybe they have a "grace" period?
    I doubt you'd lose your licence

Tadpole
    does that camera take both directions?? coz I was led to believe that it only takes the side of the road that the camera is in.

con
    Fellow Frogger!
    according to our RTA expert, cameras are pointed only one direction (photographs the back number plate) but it can differentiate in which lane the speeding car is.

con....

Hi im up in england so we have had to deal with the speed cameras for a while now
    A mate of mine said he has seen on the net somwhere that if you ties a metal bucket to some pope and swing it round in circles the camera thinks its a speeding car and providing your brave enough to stay can use up the whole film

Got to be worth a try though !!!!!
    Keep it shiney sideup

I guess this is a little off the topic but here are some interesting facts I found about speed cameras/radars.

Speed radars are not radars - so you can't defeat it by coating your car in radar absorbent material or painting it black (as some people have tried). It uses the Doppler Effect - it works by measuring the rate of change of pitch. They can't be fooled by groups of cars travelling together because it has a processor to differentiate sounds. In other words, it is foolproof and undefeatable

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">if you ties a metal bucket to some pope and swing it round in circles the camera thinks its a speeding car and providing your brave enough to stay can use up the whole film
    I'm not sure how true this is but I've read that street lugers have been photographed for speeding. Besides isn't the Pope a little too old to be swung around?
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar
    Hi Guys,

nothing is foolproof, (hey we are talking the local police here). I was flicking throught the TV channels last night, and found I think it was 'A current affair' with a story on these camera's. A few people have been charge twice for speeding at the sime time to the minute on the same date but in totaly different places (we don't have cars that fast yet ). Also a back hoe that managed to get flashed for doing 77km/h. Now lets see, the top speed of those tractors is about 40km/h if you push them to the rev limiters.... Foolproof, yer right, you haven't seen the crap we get here!

seeya,
    Shane L
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Do they have fixed speed cameras in Victoria?

I have noticed all the "not yet in service" cameras here are now fully functional.

NSW have it OK actually when compared to QLD. Those police vans (with camera) parked on the side of the road are hard to see & seem to change day to day. NSW do this too with patrol cars, but not to the same extent.

oops! that would be a spelling mistake ! i put pope instead of ROPE
    The speed cameras up here are gatsos what are they using down there then ?
    try this site if you havent seen it already you might find it helpfull www.speed-trap.co.uk
    Keep it shiney sideup

Speaking of foolproof cameras, Check out this link....
    http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story...n/2603sbns&new

1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

Thats a bloody quick toyota !!

Keep it shiney sideup

Okay, maybe not foolproof or undefeatable but very accurate most of the time.

I read somewhere (I think SMH?) that the story is a hoax. I think the owner's "crappy" name gives it away

This is an article from 'Wheels' magazine. How's this for natural justice!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">What's a police force to do when its speed cameras actually do what they're supposed to do? Six digital 'Specs' speed cameras, each capable of pinging three cars per second, were installed last year in Nottingham, UK, with the expectation of catching 60 speeders per day. However, the average has been just nine per day, leaving the cameras running at a loss of almost $550 000.

Billtran,

I know a couple of guys in Malaysia, one of them is a lawyer, and he told me only today that the guy was convicted on that charge. It seems that another, in a Camry I think he said, was booked at doing over 1100 kph so it appears in Malaysia, that the camera never lies.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I read somewhere (potentially unreliable source) that some cops in the UK pinged a Harrier or Tornado jet and the aircraft's radar jammer melted the offending instrument, thinking it was a hostile SAM site.

Being born in Malaysia, believe me - REALLY insane things can happen with a beaurocracy like that. My aunt was pulled over by a cop who wanted a bribe - because she was driving a Merc. (Should have got a Pug - thats what I said)
    1987 Peugeot 205 GTI S1
    1996 Jaguar XJR X300
    1991 Honda VT250 Spada
    1992 Peugeot 405 S (R.I.P. 31/07/2005)

I wish you lot would get it right!

They are not speed cameras,

They are revenue cameras!

Call them as they are.

------------------
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

I hah'nt got a pope though!

------------------
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

ckeller
    Don't want to sound high and mighty here, but if you break the law (no matter how much you object to it) you can expect to occassionally get nabbed. However the logic of the RTA/Police sometimes has me stumped.

With a fixed camera (eg Bells Line of Road) they have big signs up saying "Speed Camera Ahead" etc. Now if you continue to speed and get done, they should have another flashing sign up afterwards along the lines of "You've been done idiot!". The thing that really bugs me is that:

You get done by a cop in a car and pulled over etc. You KNOW then and there that you have been stupid and invariably you drive safely for a while (by safely I do mean within the law, not what we think and are mostly capable of).

You get done by a revenue box and you have no idea mostly until you get something in the post.

Therefore, where is the responsibility if you continue down the road breaking the law and then have a collision and injure or kill someone? Surely it is the job of the Police to administer the law, not collect cash for the Govt!

Yes I do drive over the speed limit at times, but as stated previously, I will cop the time for the crime. Just wish they could get the balance right.

Rgds

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by minvec:
    thanks for the reply.

I went back there today (slowly) and noticed 3 signs were not covered. But definately no flash. I usually go by at night and I think Ive been caught at least 5 times (if it is operational). I would have noticed the flash most definately. pretty darn sneaky indeed... if I knew the camera was there the first time, I wouldn't have gone so damn fast on the second and third and fourth and fifth time... oh well.. better learn to ride the bike again.

------------------
    Craig Keller
    Vice President
    CCC of NSW
    '74 D Special
    '87 BX TRI

ckeller
    Would a swinging Pope add weight to the argument between the Catholic Church and the Gay lobby in Melbourne at present???

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Denny R:
    Hi im up in england so we have had to deal with the speed cameras for a while now
    A mate of mine said he has seen on the net somwhere that if you ties a metal bucket to some pope and swing it round in circles the camera thinks its a speeding car and providing your brave enough to stay can use up the whole film

Got to be worth a try though !!!!!

Here's an argument:

On most commercial radio stations, during the traffic reports, they will give locations of mobile speed radars so that its listeners will know where to slow down (or perhaps avoid). They do so on the belief that by slowing drivers down they will make them safer and avoid fines.

But what about places where there are no speed radars? Does that mean we can now drive like maniacs and only slow down where there are radars? Isn't the point of radars about ensuring that people drive within reasonable speed limits (rather than avoiding fines)?

I think it is wrong to know the locations of mobile radars. We should be driving within reasonable speed limits regardless of the presence of radars. Personally I don't buy the 'speed kills' message, but excessive speeding should be kept at one place - the racetrack.

Fixed Speed cameras are no good on me here in Sydney as I know where they all are, plus they give loads of warning about their presence.
    Wonder how many still get nabbed & whether the cameras are actually lucrative?
    I would prefer to be stopped when caught for speeding. Experience has shown that being polite to the copper usually allows a lighter sentence (fine).
    There ain't no warnings from a "Ned Kelly" & his one eyed friend

Thread Information