Performance plus.
  • Register
  • Help

Performance plus.

This came through on one of the lists today. I've shown it to a couple of people who were freaked out with the way it puts performance of certain things into perspective; in this case, a dragster.

Alan S

Some interesting Top Fuel facts

* One dragster's 500 cubic-inch (8,193cc) Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1.5 US-gallons (5.68 liters) of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive then a stock hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3,000 cubic-feet-per-minute (1,415 liters-per-second) of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7,050F (3,900C).

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400F (760C). The engine can only be shut down by cutting of it's fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200mph (322km/h) well before half way down the track, therefore launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

* Dragsters reach over 300mph (482km/h) per hour before you have read this one sentence.

Advertisement

Fascinating stuff

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

And that is why every single one of you MUST experience a Top Fuel side by side run atleast once in your life.

Its something that you will ALWAYS remember. That very first pass is absolutely mindblowing !!! head_ban

1000+ Posts
    YEL020:
    Its something that you will ALWAYS remember. That very first pass is absolutely mindblowing !!! head_ban
    Sounds like another good excuse for an Aussiefrogs outting? roll_lau

Derek

I remember my first experiance with top fuelers.

Standing on the hill at eastern creek video taping the first run I have ever seen. Their idle was so loud, their burnouts were amazing!

The tree lights up, the ground shakes me so hard that I almost drop my camera. I will never forget that feeling! The ground actually shook beneath me.

I look up to see where they were and they were gone!
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Top fuelers are unreal things to watch and expierence, dont have high hopes of seeing one go full throttle all the way down the track though, as one will usually crap it self.

My advice for a first time top fueler onlooker would be to cover your god dam ears.

For Brisbane People, they will be out at Willowbank for the Nationals this weekend.

I'd love to go, but I've got Big Day Out happening.

10-4
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

geez...and i thought i knew everything...

now i can bring up some of these facts with my motorhead friends and i will finnaly receive the respect i deserve...

ps i saw them some years ago and i believe they recommended earplugs on the back of the ticket....plus the fact that they were in no way responsible for any kind of physical injury while attending the event....(maybe its wise to carry a safety helmet(due to newly instilled level of fear) just in case pistons start raining down)

The very first pass I saw gave me memories similar to Parry's.

I was standing on an Esky on the hill at Eastern Creek and when they took off the ground shook so hard that the esky swayed and I almost fell off.

Here's hoping the new track will be finished this year and we will finally see some top level drag racing once again in Sydney. head_ban

parry:
    I remember my first experience with top fuelers.

Standing on the hill at eastern creek video taping the first run I have ever seen. Their idle was so loud, their burnouts were amazing!

The tree lights up, the ground shakes me so hard that I almost drop my camera. I will never forget that feeling! The ground actually shook beneath me.

I look up to see where they were and they were gone!
    Yeah, it's like that...

The first 'ground shaking' experience I had was at Lakeside when Ken Miles planted the boot in the 427 Cobra after a spin coming onto the straight... Bob Jane was in the lightweight E-type haring through the corner towards him, I swear he never got any closer!

Those sure are classic images in those points, Alan.

Thread Information