Saab unreliability update
  • Register
  • Help

Saab unreliability update

93 cabriolet. in 5000 km's these things have happened.
    1. blown head gasket
    2. blown rear main seal(pretty much engine out to fix)
    3. stuffed hydraulic roof ram
    4. $12000 crash. Indonesian student crosses 6 lanes and rams car in side
    5. blinker switch
    6. alternator failure/rebuild

Peugeot problems(ever).... bugger all
    Alfa problems(ever)...... bugger all
    Moral: don't buy a cabrio. Don't buy a 2.1

Advertisement
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Warwick2:
    [QB]93 cabriolet. in 5000 km's these things have happened.
    1. blown head gasket
    2. blown rear main seal(pretty much engine out to fix)
    3. stuffed hydraulic roof ram
    4. $12000 crash. Indonesian student crosses 6 lanes and rams car in side
    5. blinker switch
    6. alternator failure/rebuild

Geez Warwick...all of the above should teach you never to mention the dreaded S**B word on the forum again....it's just tempting fate really...those impoverished kamikaze Indonesian students work for almost nothing....as for other SAAB probs just open another can of herrings and wait for the tow truck, buy a can of leak seal or better still head on down to the local LADA dealer, he or she may be prepared to take the fish oil powered beast off your hands or give you at least a couple of hundred off on a 1988 Samara.

mallet
    Woo Hoo Honi ko'u 'elemu (Hawaiian)

That's unusual! My experience with friends' and relatives' S**B cars is that they frequently fail in the tensioner system for the accessory belt, causings instant overheating and related disasters, followed by frequent failures of clutch cables.

This guy must have had a good one.

Did you drive it? The scuttle shake is quite an experience on a lumpy road.

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

nJm
    A friend of my father has a S**B 9-5, only a few years old. Guess what happened the other day? It blew its turbo! mallet

The guy who owns it got pulled over by the boys in blue on his way to the S**B dealership as it was blowing smoke all over the road.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I forgot to mention turbo failure. Two years....

JohnW
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

And this is a company that has lost so much money in the last year the GM have had to sack the whole top management - they were basicaly insolvent at the end of 2002.

Their current generation of cars has no brand values to speak of, and jusging from their (un)reliability record, not much else.

Compare PSA - the most profitabe company in Europe, and I suspect after T---ta, in the world. They may have made some boring Citroens for the last few years, but at least they are now in a postion to do interesting things in the future.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

I have to say, Saab's record has been a little disappointing recently, going by recent studies.

I was in the new 9-3 a few days back, very nice car & good value, but I couldn't help notice that they didn't quite have the same fit & finish of the same level as that other Swedish marque

Over the past decade or so, they've really stagnated. The cars really aren't that bad, for instance, a 9-5 is a pretty good car.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Tadpole
    [email protected]@B, well, the basic idea of the first saabs was to make a car using mechanical parts from other vehicles. If you own a 1970's saab you can interchange some parts with a kingswood. This can save you a lot of money.

I heard recently that holden in australia makes a higher profit and sells more cars.

And the resale is legendary. I am trying to trade one at the moment on a 307. 96 9000 cs. Probably paid $50000, now worth $8000. Unreal. I shudder when someone turns up at the dealership driving one

Tadpole
    Maybe you just need to incorporate extra features like this guy:

<a href="http://mbjork.home.cern.ch/mbjork/gase/events/saunaab_test/saunaab_test.htm" target="_blank">http://mbjork.home.cern.ch/mbjork/gase/events/saunaab_test/saunaab_test.htm</a>
    2002 206 GTi

DarrenM. Wonderful link.

<span><span class=ResizableText0><span>At</span> work recently we had a [email protected]@B head
    honcho guy stay at the Hotel with us for a week, obviously at the company's expence, he brought along his 2 sons (both in their 20's) and his wife. We had to Valet his NEW wagon (its the latest latest model, iforget which one, only had trade plates) on the drive way and keep it on stand by. When they first arrived, he barely took notice and i had to "put it <span <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0>away,ple ase"</span></span> as he didn't want to drive. Next day his sons took the car out, & as one was waiting for the other, i asked if he'd prefer a cabrio or a Viggen?, hi replie was "no thanks, i want
    to live, while im on <span <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0>holidays ."</span></span> Ummm even they wren't to [email protected]@B <span <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0>concerne d.</span></span> Maybe when your <span <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0>surround ed</span></span> by [email protected]@b stuff all day, its the last thing you want to do is drive one?,.... Still, id like to find out just how difficult it is living like that, <span <span class=ResizableText0>class=ResizableText0>preferab ly</span></span> the hard way!lol. Cheers
    <span class=ResizableText0>Xq</span></span></span>

<small>[ 18 January 2003, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: xqisid ]</small>
    ... ptui!

1000+ Posts
    AlexK:
    [email protected]@B, well, the basic idea of the first saabs was to make a car using mechanical parts from other vehicles....
    You sure about that? The early ones (model 92 on) were uniquely SAAB, weren't they? It's only when they went from the two stroke triple to the Ford V4 that they used other maker's parts. Then of course they cloned the Triumph slant 4, but it's hardly parts sharing. Other than that I'm not aware of any parts bin raiding until GM took over.

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Lucky I stayed with the French brands and didnt go to a Saab I guess.
    BTW I love my C3.....

My father had an 88 model 9000 Turbo. To say the turbo was fickle was an understatement to say the least.

For the three years he owned it suffered 3 blown turbos, electrical problems, problems with servicing (every time he took it home from the dealer service something else went wrong) and even the pedals falling off. Not to mention of course the wondeful turbo lag - the turbo kicked in whenever it felt like.

It's fair to say that we were happy to see it gone.
    You're not paranoid if everyone hates you.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    sorry if i'm out of line here but i really thought this was aussieFROGS not aussieswedes
    i thought with everything that has gone on about this particular make of car in the past it would have stayed buried
    the only swedish car i ever look at has a PRV engine inside
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

1000+ Posts
    Yeah, sorry. Had to share the knowledge, albeit the wrong kind...

Daniel, have I missed something? Have you got a C3 now?

Stuey

<small>[ 18 January 2003, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Stuey ]</small>

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information