Intro (R10)
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Intro (R10)

zac

Intro (R10)

Hi all, I have just picked up a 1966 Renault 10. It is my daily driver, I just thought I might need this forum when (if) stuff goes wrong with it! I like to DIY.

Advertisement

As you can see its pretty tired but still starts first pop and could be restored.

My previous experiences with cars are mainly Japanese cars. I have a Datsun 1600 turbo project and a stock Mazda 1500. So I don't really have a clue about this Renault.

Oh why I am here, can anyone tell me much more about a Weber 32/34 DMTT carb? I believe
    they came on a turbo Renault, but I cannot find any literature on them!

And I've already heard about Chipper's spin

Fellow Frogger!
    Hey zac,

Shouldnt you be practising GT2 ? Yes ,yes, my spin is now famous .....

Welcome to the dark side of performance dude, that Renault is going to change you forever........

Reno 17,

Looks like we may have a donor car for our Jambo project now, just gotta get zac's keys somehow.....

Welcome to the board man.

Chipper

Fellow Frogger!
    zac,

I found reference to a 32/34 Weber DMTR, DMTL and a few others, but no DMTT.

You may be able to find out more at :

http://www.angelfire.com/co/tecnocarbur/renault.html

http://www.weber-carburetors.com/Weber/weber.htm

failing that, do a www.google.com search and do the advanced search, see how you go.

Chip

Hey
    Yea R10.
    Chipper sounds like a plan.

Guy from Toowoomba who owns the 67 Merk with the 13B said around $7000 to chuck a rotor in the back of a R8.
    And guess what ? The guy even knew what an R8 was, he said he used to race R8 Gordinis back in the early 70's. Reckons it would be a great project.
    Only thing I'm concerned about is a Gearbox.

Ash
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini
    2012 BMW One Series M Coupe

zac
    OK Chipper, but I don't know how you intend to fit tubs!!

I'm pretty sure the DMTT uses the same jets as downdraught carbs so shouldn't be hard to tune. I've only played with DCOE though

Reno17, what about a VW transaxle?

If you mid-mount it and use an NG3 Fuego gearbox that should be plenty strong enough.

But if you are retaining the standard swing axles etc, I wouldn't bother too much about playing with the 13B, it would be a lot easier to build a full house 15/16/17 motor and have everything mate up nicely, and likely to go just as quick. Using internals from a type 352 16 gearbox should be suitable in the 8/10 casing.

Also don't pick too shaggy an R8/10 body, they are quite flexible, and rust in the sills/ chassis rails etc can pull a lot of strength out of the shell. Also on an 8 check for cracks in the front door pillar and upper part of the windscreen pillar. But I suppose if you include a full cage that should strengthen things up a bit!

On the other hand, you could spend a similar amount of money on an RS Clio, and have something that is less hassle, goes a lot harder and is much more practical, but just call me a wet blanket!

Simon
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hey

I hear ya Simon

At the end of the day I just want a quick Tough Rear wheel drive Reno, also has to easy on eyes.

Figured R8 would Be the go.

Mazda 12A would be better then a 13B I reckon.
    Well that fact that you would have trouble keeping the 13B in a straight line that's
    all. The 12A would probably be drivable.

Ash
    1967 1135 R8 Gordini

Hi Guys,
    Theres a guy down here, Damien his name is, he's usually around here some where but I havn't seen him for a little while. He put a standard 16TS motor in his R10 with a Toyota blower on it, gets good horse power and blows off most rice burners and the good part is, its nearly all Renault.
    Worth thinking about hey!
    Seeya,
    David.

David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Fellow Frogger!
    zac,

I reckon we take the wheel arches out altogether, think of the fresh air cooling capacity !!!!

$7000 !!!....sheesh, let that plan go I think

Full house 16TS supercharged motor hey ? Not a bad idea at all , but prolly co$t a fortune as well

David C,

Do you know if the 16 lump will fit in the back of a 10 without hacking it to bits?

Chip

Taking out the wheel arches without tubbing them, or other compensations takes out a lot of the strength on a 8/10, they are basically the only things that hold the rear of the car body together especially on an 8. Really there is bags of room either side of the motor, so they can stay.

The 16 motor basically "bolts straight in" with the assistance of a 15/17 bellhousing and some stuffing around for the clutch mechanism and input shaft. The rear mounting of the motor can also be arranged somewhat too. Probably the best way is the following link.

http://www.users.wineasy.se/katriina/alp3.htm

Clearance is a problem with the camshaft pulley and waterpump, either remove the tank, replaced with one in the front boot, or use a big hammer to make room space. Another thought may be to remove the big pulley and replace the water pump with one of those electric water pumps made by Davies Craig, also liberating a few extra GG's!! The radiator goes up the front end of the car too.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/

One other thing to think of is that not all States allow an R16 into R8/10 conversion, it pays to check first.

Simon

1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2002 Land Rover Defender Td5 130 - ex-CFA Region 4
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

Hi Guys,
    16TS powered R8/10 is one of the conversions we do at work, We've been building them for years, my brother Steve handles that side of things, he used to rally a 16TS powered Dauphine back in the 70's and did very well, he even had a mid mounted fully worked 16TS (about 170hp) powered Dauphine that used to run sports sedans and was very quick in Hill climbs. So if you need any assistance Steves the one to speak to. First step is to gut the engine bay the radiator and fuel tank must go up the front then you'll be supprised hoe much room you've got (you could easily fit a V8 if you we silly enough). Go ahead and have fun.

David.

David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

zac
    wow! I am surprised that you guys arent telling me to keep the car stock and original or else I would be sent to classic renault hell!!!

Anyway I'm not touching this car, its to get me to work and back. Actually I have to touch it this weekend - I was filling up for the first time and the rubber filler hose has a leak (yeah, into the engine bay!!).

hey

Zac, This Datto 1600 whats happening with it ? Ya dumping a SR into it.

Mate has a 180B SSS SR20DET and is pretty bloody quick. 1/4 12.87 sec

Guys sorry to bring up Dattos. Just curious.

1967 1135 R8 Gordini

zac
    Hey Reno17, SR20DET - I wish!!
    No thats not really in my budget, I am turboing a 2 litre motor using a few bits of a HKS kit and a few other bits to 'enhance' it

The carb is a Weber 32/34 DMTT carby, turbo is a Mazda 12A turbo and I have a 180SX intercooler. It so far has worked out pretty cheap (been doing 99% of the work myself).
    Hopefully the blow through is a bit more efficient and powerful than the typical (and easier) suck through setup.

I'm sorry too guys, but I could talk about this for hours

Thanks for the kind words about the R10 Dave the TS motor is not quite standard now, while shifting the blower to the passenger side to allow room for a custom set of extractors, i pulled the head and had WADE Camshafts do a special grind to suit the blower at 10lb boost, other mods are R16 disc brakes all round and an anti surge tank from 300mm of 70mm sq tube with two elec fuel pumps low pressure feeding the tank & high pressure feeding the 350 Holley carby & a priming nozzle was fitted to assist starting using a direct feed from the fuel pump via a fuel switch from a gas vehicle and just for a change a new paint job metallic grey/ mettalic green hope to have pics for posting shortly
    Health and good fortune always,
    Damien.

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the R10's assfromunder.

Robert Jordan & memyself&I

1/48th Scale Alpine A310,
    N-scale 1/160th Renault & Citroen, Advert. Signs & Billboards

Your a sick puppy Damien, Haven't seen you for a while, everyone was asking about you at Rob Roy, you coming to the club meeting next Thursday, its election night so come and get sucked in for another year.

David.

David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

zac
    Damien, did you go blow through or suck through with your supercharger?
    I am doing a blow through system at the moment. I can only assume you are doing blow through otherwise why would you have a high pressure fuel pump?
    I used one of those LPG switches to switch my whole fuel system on.

zac
    I'm using suck through on the blower,however i've since found out the Toyota blower is not suited to this for road use as the petrol washes the grease from the rotor bearings over time or around 20,000 km. This could be overcome by fitting two grease nipples in the bearing case, i'll not bother as this is used for hillclimbs & sprints i doubt the car would ever see 5000km in its life.
    The high pressure pump is probably over kill but i've experienced some fuel delevery probs in the past.
    The holley carbys will only take about 6 lb pressure before blowing gaskets unless it's a special, making them unsuitable for blow through in most cases. The carby from a Fiat 132 is suitable for blow thru but also $800 secondhand here im Melbourne
    Damien
    Damien.

zac
    OK thanks Damien, just interested to know because as I stated above I am doing a blow through turbo setup on my datsun.
    All the fuel system is EFI gear so it could be converted to EFI in a flash but the cost of a computer is still prohibitive!

A lot of the yanky guys are running Holleys in blow through setup. They require a bit more modification than a Weber but do work.

What carb does a Fiat 132 have, 40DCOEs?

Hi Zac
    I don't know the model number however it's a Weber downdraft designed especially for blow through situations.
    Damien
    Damien.

Dave C
    Hi mate, no i'm not a sick puppy,just can't pass up a challenge. My brother inlaw (who by the way is a PUG nut) said a 16TS transplant to a R10 was impossible. Naturally with the gauntlet thrown down, he had to be proved wrong, then 12 months later the same fool said a blower installation wasn't feasible, hahahaha I do enjoy a challenge, once again he was proved wrong.
    I'll tell you about the missed Rob Roy event on thursday night I'll be at the AGM to be dobbed in again lol
    Damien

[This message has been edited by Damien Gardner (edited 10 July 2001).]
    Damien.

Thread Information