Redex Trial re-run.
  • Register
  • Help

Redex Trial re-run.

Just spotted a mention in passing in a car club mag that the Peugeot Club of Victoria is organising a re-run of the famous Redex Trial which will include the section presently used for the hillclimbs at Noosa.
    Does anyone from down there know anything about this? Is it classics from that era, modern day cars or a mix?
    Also, when does it look like happening? Either it's just been decided or it's been a well kept secret.

Alan S

Advertisement
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i don't know the exact details of the run but i do know that i have been hearing about it for at least the last 2-3 years
    i have heard quite a few people that have been prepping cars ready for the run
    i think the cars have to be of the era but don't quote me on that
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

This the sort of info you are looking for??

<a href="http://www.pccv.org/redex_rerun.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pccv.org/redex_rerun.htm</a>
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

VIP Sponsor
    I am organising the rerun, 93 people have reserved places and final entries are rolling in now.
    The event is open to Peugeots pre-1970 (not 504).

The event is also open to drivers who competed in Round Australias up to the 1964 Ampol ( any car) and all makes of cars of the early 50s and other notable cars at the organisers discretion.
    Further entries wil be accepted from all these categories except for 404 (we have plenty!)

The event is run under CAMS as a Touring Road Event. Touring with displays and social activities, but also some club level motorsport, from motorkhanas and navigational road events to hillclimbs and circuit sprints.

The event is sponsored by Peugeot Australia and Holts (makers of Redex).

I have been away for 2 weeks organising the run up the East Coast to Townsville (and trying out a 406 HDI courtesy of Peugeot) otherwise I would have posted this info previously.
    Contact me direct and I will send information or phone on 03 9859 1412.

Graham Wallis

VIP Sponsor
    Forgot to mention , it starts on the 22nd of June at Fox Studios in Sydney and runs for 4 weeks travelling to Townsville, Darwin, Adelaide via Oodnadatta and Flinders ranges, Melbourne and Canberra back to Sydney.
    It has been planned for some 4 years, we haven't needed to advertise outside of the Peugeot car Clubs, word of mouth has given us plenty of takers.
    More widespread publicity will happen soon.
    There are 5 cars currently entered from OS (NZ, Thailand and Europe)

Graham Wallis

Either it's just been decided or it's been a well kept secret.

Alan, Where have you been???
    That's all everyones been talking about down here for the past 2 or 3 years, it seems every Pug person I speak to is either entered or has a mate who's entered.
    I can't wait for the video.

David.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

David,

I think it may have been commonly talked about "in house" but I still haven't spoken to anyone up here who had heard more than a word that it "might happen."
    Being Peugeot based could explain why I hadn't heard about it and as I live miles away from any of the clubs I never hear the general gossip.
    I don't know how active the Peugeot Club is here in Queensland as it was via a Classic/sporting car club, non aligned with any particular brand that I got the info.

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

1000+ Posts
    Does anyone need and authentic can of REDEX, I "inherited"
    a full can from my nextdoor neighbours cleanup.

(best offers considered of course!! )

Ken

GRAHAM WALLIS:
    I am organising the rerun, 93 people have reserved places and final entries are rolling in now.
    The event is open to Peugeots pre-1970 (not 504).
    what if someone were to stick a worm drive under a 504
    think that would class as a rightful entry ?
    sorry just had to put that in i couldn't help myself
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Any Froggie members going in the Redex? I plan to catch the cars in Nuriootpa, SA. Graham, where will they be staying in Nuriootpa?

<small>[ 04 February 2003, 10:36 AM: Message edited by: sfrawley ]</small>
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

sfrawley:
    Any Froggie members going in the Redex? I plan to catch the cars in Nuriootpa, SA. Graham, where will they be staying in Nuriootpa?
    My father is taking his 1955 203 in the Redex. Unfortunately I can't go with him due to other commitments.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

GRAHAM WALLIS:
    Forgot to mention , it starts on the 22nd of June at Fox Studios in Sydney and runs for 4 weeks travelling to Townsville, Darwin, Adelaide via Oodnadatta and Flinders ranges, Melbourne and Canberra back to Sydney.
    When is expected to hit Charters Towers and Hughenden, Graham? I'm doing a fair bit of work up around there these days and I might be able to organise a trip at the appropriate time. Not quite the same road it was back in the old days! Mind you, some of the back tracks out around Woolgar & Mount Norman look pretty similar!

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

VIP Sponsor
    Stephen, the cars will arrve at the Nuriootpa Oval, next to Barossa Valley Tourist park frommid afternoon on the 15th of July.
    Rod, Charters Towers is the end of an Economy run which goes out the Hervey Range road then through Dotswood. This road was used in the 1995 Mobil 1 Trial. Cars will arrive from around 10-00 am on the 30th of June.
    Do you know the location of the old Horror section between Cloncurry and Mt Isa?

Graham Wallis

GRAHAM WALLIS:

Rod, Charters Towers is the end of an Economy run which goes out the Hervey Range road then through Dotswood. This road was used in the 1995 Mobil 1 Trial. Cars will arrive from around 10-00 am on the 30th of June.
    Do you know the location of the old Horror section between Cloncurry and Mt Isa?
    Thanks Graham. Afraid not.. I'll be in Hughenden next week though, so I'll see if any of the older locals know.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, Peugeot 406 ST (deadish), Peugeot 307 XSE, - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

VIP Sponsor
    Rod,
    Thanks, we were supposed to have followed the old route in the 95 event but I would like more details.
    Ken, It would be good to have an original can of Redex to use on the event as a display. Do you have a photo?

Graham Wallis

If 1.1.1970 is the cutoff, what's to stop someone entering a 504 with an 1800 engine?

Just a thought... it might go fairly well too.

I know of one Queensland entry, had a phone call from a QPCC member who had tracked me down after buying my old Peugeot 203 Ute, Rob Verhagan? anyone know him? I believe he is preparing the Ute for his brother to drive in the trial.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Ray Bell:
    If 1.1.1970 is the cutoff, what's to stop someone entering a 504 with an 1800 engine?.
    It's not in the spirit of the event, so, understandably, Graham will probably not accept such entries.

They're trying to capture the atmosphere of the 1950's and early 1960's trials, so a car with late 1960's styling such as the 504 will just not fit, whereas other cars which were made up to 1970 but are model run-ons of early 60's cars (such as 404s) will fit in.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

Bet there aren't many Simca Arondes...

Is your dad using fine spline axles, Dave?

VIP Sponsor
    Ray,
    The event is limited to models which were in production prior to 1964, the last year of Peugeot's works invlovement in Round Australia Trials. We have been fairly lenient and allowed Utes and Wagons.
    We are currently accepting entries from 403 and 203 (we have enough 404s!) plus other makes of special interest, people who have competed in the early events can enter anything at all.

Graham Wallis

Ray Bell:

Is your dad using fine spline axles, Dave?
    He's using whatever his 1955 203 came with. It's only got about 60,000 miles on it genuine, so mechanically it's like new.

It only had 15,000 miles on it when dad bought it in 1977, and he is only the second owner. He has the original documents that came with the car when new, and dad was able to confirm that the original owner only did 15,000 miles in the car because he was good mates with the bloke's nephew. The car has always been a local Camden car and the bloke who owned it lived about 400 metres down the road from us (in an older sub-division). Before Burragorang Valley was flooded (1960?) the bloke lived there, so most of the miles were put on the 203 between 1955 and then. When he moved into town he hardly used it and stopped registering it in about 1966.

All the restoration work that Dad did between 1977-1985 was in the body and interior (and brakes of course). The drivetrain was as new.

Dave
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C

VIP Sponsor
    The axles from the C model on did not break nearly as often as the earlier ones, although they looked the same. We wil be carrying spares in the truck just in case.

Graham Wallis

Well, I broke axles in both a 203C and a 403... I'd be taking the step of putting in the fine spline stuff. It's not really a big job, but I admit it does show a different flange to the world outside.

my old man in his early days of running up and down pitt st only ever broke axles in early 203's
    he actually had to give jack a call one night to bring an axle out so they could fit it in so he drive home again
    but with 'c' types they seemed to be stronger
    and 403's i have only ever heard of a couple that have broken
    i know one bloke that was so paranoid about breaking an axle in his 203A that he carried one everywhere he went for years
    he never used it and he used to drive the car pretty hard and had 205/15's on it with at one stage a 'c' type block with 404 pots in it and a cam and we all know the story
    the car went well
    only thing was is the cranshafts can only handle so much before they give way
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information