OT: iTunes for Windows
  • Register
  • Help
    1000+ Posts

OT: iTunes for Windows

Just thought I'd post a message for all you Windows 2000 and XP users.

Apple iTunes (their jukebox application) is now available for Windows. I really like it... it has to be the best laid out juke box program I've seen. I think MusicMatch in particular is just too slow (even on fast P4's) and overly complicated, and WinAmp got heaps worse with version 3.

The killer feature of iTunes is audio streaming on your home network. In my playlist shows up "Mum's Music," "Tess' Music" and "Lucy's Music" - I can see all of the music on each of their computers, search it and play it (all without having to copy files around or anything). It's done through a self-seeking network technology they call <a href="http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview.html" target="_blank">Rendevouz</a> . It's all completely seemless - you wouldn't know who's using a PC or a Mac.

Advertisement

By the end of the year, iTunes music store (cheap, legal, downloadable music) should be going in Australia too

Available now for free from <a href="http://www.iTunes.com" target="_blank">http://www.iTunes.com</a>

Derek

nJm
    I've had it for just over a day now .

I love it, haven't tried out the CD-burning bit yet, but was very impressed with the layout and the music store. It is amazing how good the quality of the samples are, and yet they load instantaneously! I hope it comes 'online' for Australia soon.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm
    That new AAC format is pretty amazing! I've just imported a few of my CDs onto the computer and they sound brilliant. Even something complex like, um, Meatloaf , comes out perfectly (well, as good as my sony stereo can reproduce anyway).

Well done Apple cheers!

A bit of a CPU hog though, so I don't think I'd go as far as they are calling it the best piece of software ever devised for Windows....
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Meatloaf.
    Complex.....?
    "Now my dream lies shattered like the shards of a broken dream"

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Warwick2:
    Meatloaf.
    Complex.....?
    beat me to it lol
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

nJm
    I meant it was all very busy. Just when a song starts off nice and simple he brings in a couple of symphonic orchestras .

I think one person said that Meatloaf doesn't just push the audience's buttons, he hits them with a sledge hammer roll_lau
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

I downloaded iTunes, and I'm a huge fan, but am yet to work out how to get other people on my network's music to show up? Do I have to enable anything?

Nick

1000+ Posts
    Nick

Go Edit, Preferences.
    Choose the Sharing tab.

Tick the boxes

Do the same on your other computers (making sure they all have a unique shared name of course). It then just works woohoo

Derek

I have been using if for about 2 days now, only at night. Some really nice features, however I really dislike the way it handles my existing collection in that it moves all the music around into folders based on artist and album. I'm sure this would be fine if you were ripping cd's, but for my 20GB+ is sucks. This feature can be turned off, though it doesnt help me know as they have already been moved.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Brad,

It's pretty annoying isn't it?

The original collection should still be where you put it though.

Brad:
    I have been using if for about 2 days now, only at night. Some really nice features, however I really dislike the way it handles my existing collection in that it moves all the music around into folders based on artist and album. I'm sure this would be fine if you were ripping cd's, but for my 20GB+ is sucks. This feature can be turned off, though it doesnt help me know as they have already been moved.
    Just installed it last night. Yes it would have been handy to know that setting existed before. I got it up and running, and then I looked in my mp3 folder and it was like, what the?

Sound quality is good. The AAC format sounds quite good. My only gripe in the user interface at full size is a bit sluggish.

Troy.

Its not a bad proggie.

I agree that at full size its sluggish.

No maximise, not happy

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Looks like the Wintel world is trying to jump onto the bandwagon.

<a href="http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/dj?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs" target="_blank">Dell Digital Music Store</a>

Doesn't quite have the same ring about it, eh?

They've got their iPod imitation, the ever so creatively named...DJ

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    The Dell DJ looks alright - although it has a scrollwheel like that Nokia phone did a few years ago (7110?) - Bennymarsh had one and the scrollwheel was the worst part about the phone it was not the best because it just didn't seem to "track" properly... i assume as it gets rubbish in it. I wonder what the Dell DJ menu system is like? That's probably where iPod will win out - an amazingly intuitive menu system.

I see it uses its own player, which is a rebadged MusicMatch. If people think iTunes Windows is slow, I thought MusicMatch was a shocker unless this version is improved.

I wonder if it's possible to go have a look at a Dell DJ anywhere, or it's "online only"? Do you know Justin?

Derek

Not available downunder yet - it was just launched online in the US on Tuesday.

Didn't know the iPod has been around for so long already, I read an article saying next month it celebrates its second birthday.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

1000+ Posts
    I thought it was more than 2 years. My old one I bought in August last year, and it was "2nd generation"

I don't know how long the "first generation" 5GB models were around for...

Actually - just found it. October 23 2001. <a href="http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/oct/23ipod.html" target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2001/oct/23ipod.html</a>

Derek

Zen
    All the computer techies should know this site, Userfriendly.org. tongue

They've just started a story line about iTunes for Windows:
    <a href="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20031101" target="_blank">http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20031101</a>

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

DeKa:
    The Dell DJ looks alright - although it has a scrollwheel like that Nokia phone did a few years ago (7110?) - Bennymarsh had one and the scrollwheel was the worst part about the phone it was not the best because it just didn't seem to "track" properly... i assume as it gets rubbish in it. I wonder what the Dell DJ menu system is like? That's probably where iPod will win out - an amazingly intuitive menu system.

I see it uses its own player, which is a rebadged MusicMatch. If people think iTunes Windows is slow, I thought MusicMatch was a shocker unless this version is improved.

I wonder if it's possible to go have a look at a Dell DJ anywhere, or it's "online only"? Do you know Justin?

Derek
    Yeah, the scroll wheel was rather shitty on that phone, as was the "matrix" style slide out mic!

Anyway, i did download itunes, but i havnt gotten around to setting it up yet! How are people going with it after a few weeks of use?

Benny
    206 1.6 XT Auto China Blue in the house.

Hopefully soon to be C3...or C2.....owner.....maybe.....one day....I hope!!!!!

nJm
    I like it. It is fairly system intensive - on my (old P3) system if you minimise the iTunes window while opening something else the music hicups. What I love is the simple interface and the ability to set a different equilizer setting for each song. This one is staying on my machine .
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

1000+ Posts
    bennymarsh:
    How are people going with it after a few weeks of use?

Benny
    Tess is loving it on her Celeron 466. It's below recommended minimum specs (PIII 500) but it still runs fine. The visualisations on the otherhand....

Derek.

DeKa:
    bennymarsh:
    How are people going with it after a few weeks of use?

Benny
    Tess is loving it on her Celeron 466. It's below recommended minimum specs (PIII 500) but it still runs fine. The visualisations on the otherhand....
    The visualisations is one part that could be optimised better. Even on my P4 with GeForce 4Ti, the framerates left a bit to be desired.

Other than that. I like the program. Good sound quality and the user interface is easy to use.

Troy.

Volume Leveling

Actually seems to work. Cuts the range down a bit, but good if u don't want to disturb others.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

1000+ Posts

Icon10 iTunes 4.2 released

Hi all,

iTunes 4.2 has been released which brings new performance enhancements apparently. Thought you Windows users might be interested http://www.itunes.com

Derek

Thread Information