Hot 4s opinion
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Hot 4s opinion

Hot 4s opinion

Being new, I'd like to say G'day first.
    Looking through a newsagent i noticed that Hot 4s had an article on a turbocharged Peugeot so i picked it up and read it. The car was a 1.8L 8V 306. The 306 made almost 50kW at the wheels without forced induction and 115kW with.
    Through the article they conveyed the message that apart from the Clio Sport and 206 Gti, French cars are asthmatic and slow.
    Knock!Knock!...Anyone home? 205 Gti? 405 Mi16?
    So a French car is slow, asthmatic and not cool unless it has a turbo and then it only just passes. On the other hand, a jap excel or a lancer with a bodykit, chrome wheels and dropped on its guts IS a FAST, HOT car?
    Hot 4s is full of "all show no go and pose" vehicles with the "Da chicks dig da big zorst" attitude.
    Even the tough engine spec'd, (although ridiculous looking), Jap turbo cars are only good for straight line drag, and that's it. Hit the twisties and you'll be begging for the 205 to turn the Hi-beam off and stop ramming your colour-flip paint job rear bumper.
    You can come home from a hoilday with the 405 packed to the breaches plus kids and wife, and still burn the Ricer at the lights. Then your wife reminds you you left the handbrake on.
    In the departments of bang for your buck, handling, modification possibilities and quality finish, can anyone think of a better car than a Frenchie?
    After reading that article, I'm determined to build a french car and have it featured in a magazine.
    I had hardly any respect for Hot 4s before i read that article and even less now!
    At least not being owned by hoons means frogs have a better reputation than most.

Advertisement

Here's the best starting point you're ever likely to find.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000621" target="_blank">Show car</a>

Good Luck

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi
    welcome to the forum, well hot4's, rice & the turbo pug that you mention have all been of great debate on this forum. The owner of the turbo'd 306 uses this forum.

Rice is a touchy topic here on aussiefrogs.

In regards to hot 4's and their opinions on french cars, they havent a clue & this comes from one of their readers & a owner of a slightly ricey 306.
    regards
    asanka dance

Alan S:
    Here's the best starting point you're ever likely to find.

<a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000621" target="_blank">Show car</a>

Good Luck

Alan S cheers!
    Thanks Alan!

You'll be seeing my pug in that same mag in a couple of issues.
    Not a huge article but technically accurate.

Why doesn't someone write into these f'sticks and set them straight. Why, I'll pen up a response if I had the article to run from, but I think Alan S has the greatest gift of the gab for such tasks.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

Brad:
    Why doesn't someone write into these f'sticks and set them straight. Why, I'll pen up a response if I had the article to run from, but I think Alan S has the greatest gift of the gab for such tasks.
    Thanks for the compliment, but at present, Alan S is up to his proverbials in Transport Dept Travelsafe Inquiries, Local Govt Dept Investigations and City Council corruption scandals. (One made Parliament yesterday) deal deal
    However, once I get clear of it all (providing I'm not singing "Jailhouse Rock" in duet with Pauline Hanson, cry cry I'll take a look and see what we can put together dance

Alan S cheers! whip
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I'm not entirely sure I'd bother - who cares what a bunch of ignorant riceboys think? More than likely they will put in a patronising response to convince themselves they were right all along. I like french cars because they appeal to me, and I quite like the fact that few know about them. If froggy cars start to get really "popular", we might have to start paying more for 'em!!
    I prefer to simply enjoy my oddball frogmobiles for what they are, and let the masses enjoy whatever turns them on.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Probably not that constructive but Hot 4's readers are generally tossers!!!! mallet Lowered Excels & Lancers Pleaaaase, C'mon!!!! Try & get hold of PERFORMANCE GTi mag from the UK, now your talking! cheers!
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Originally posted by Brad
    <strong>Why doesn't someone write into these f'sticks and set them straight. Why, I'll pen up a response if I had the article to run from, but I think Alan S has the greatest gift of the gab for such tasks.
    I should really be offended, with no disrespect intended to Alan at all...

But I have been a motoring journalist for 33 years on and off, I have some track record with various magazines.

Maybe I also qualify?

Do it Ray ^_^[email protected] Yeh, I was thinking about that. I wanna see one of the hot pugs in the car mag Hot 4's. Surely some of you guys out there have some mean machines?! Even WRX2PUG's little mi16 would be tidy enough to make the mag? Anyway, I wouldn't wanna let any of those wang agents drive my car. Especially if they go back and bag the **** out of it in their review! But yeh, Do it guys. I am soooooo tired of XL's and Lancers. Even as Rice they suck butt. Unless it is an Evo they are useless and slow. They certainly aint hot. I mean Hyundai!?!?!? Dude! ^O^ Stop it! so, go my boys, help them see the light about pugs. Take them to a windy trak with their chosen (non 4wd) ricer and see what comes of it ^_^ Peass out
    Y^O^Y Banzai

Fellow Frogger!
    I used to buy Hot 4's on regular basis but have not bought a copy now for about 2.5 years. I find it is the same thing in every mag, wheels and kit on a lancer, 200sx with big turbo, Honda with wheels etc etc. I tend to buy mags from the UK such as CCC, there current Project car is a 205 GTi with an Mi16 engine, but they recently blew it up, oops, although they do have they occasional lancer (Evo 7 capable of about 700bhp!!) and they recently did a feature on drift cars but the majority of the articles are for performance on road and track.
    05' Megane 225 Cup

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Hot 4's
    fast 4's
    rotaries

they are all mags for people that in my opinion need penile implants and as such grab a stock POS and put plastic all over it and think it's all of a sudden faster
    instead of getting penile enlargements they spend the money on their car and are still left short
    due to their lack of inteligence they have done and will always think that froggies are just french and not as good as a hi undie worth $10k even with the $10k bodykit (using this word loosely) stuck on it
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

..... being a frog owner, and regularly buy LOTS of magazines, (Euro to Hot4's to F1Racing), i'm guessing im stuck in the middle.
    Ive noticed most of us can't help but be extra supportive of our french machines,.. but ever walked into a full perfomance shop? this is australia, and the fact is were not really catered for compared our Asian counterparts, and often we are looked as weird for having the less favourable alternative.
    I used to hate Jap cars, but the more times i find my self being humbled by cheaper and supposed lesser machines, the more respect i gain for the owner... and that is my point, we chose our cars for a certain reason and would like to have the support and recognition, but the fact is often we don't return it either. Or we are too consumed in our own wonderfull niche to even manifest otherwise....
    I guess for the few "real" car fans out there certain things take pride of place over others, for me a pug was because of its history and sheer fun factor. Perhaps the owners of the kitted lancers etc, too chose the path they did for a reason. What ever this reason is, i feel its as valid and just as our very own. Sure the cars arn't any faster, and the owners ussualy build them to get attention, so in that case they have already won, as we find our selves in a french forum writting about others, instead of ourselves... ironic that. - chris
    ... ptui!

yep, Dont get me wrong. I want a rocket. If I could afford it I would have a crazy old jap corolla levin or something that has been modded off its head pushing 500 ponies. But be serious, the guys who drive their pugs get more of my respect because they seem more down to earth. I think you will find that the guys who mod their fours have stupid amounts of money! Yes, all choices are valid... But having some of those cars beside you thinking they can drag you and they are sooooo slow. I mean my 87 shitebox burns a hell of a lot of the lancers and silvias off and that is saying something. No mods no nothing and a loose old rickety engine and body. Every car has its +'s and -'s but the attitude of the driver is a big issue for me. Everyone is going to have hangups, it is innate in the idea ov voice. But Please, do you never think that getting engine mods is bette+r than bodykits? And buying some of these cars for looks is just a bit silly. We all love our cars, but some cars are more valid than others. surely...?!
    Y^O^Y Banzai

purplepugWA:
    But Please, do you never think that getting engine mods is bette+r than bodykits? And buying some of these cars for looks is just a bit silly. We all love our cars, but some cars are more valid than others. surely...?!
    .... all subjective. I respect you for your 205, but don'texpct any from the Lancer owner if your not willing to give it either.. Cars, looks, bodykitsm, all subjective. If the owner is an idiot, so be it. That can happen regardless of what car we drive, were we live or what magazine we read. You don't like it, leave it on the stand. Fixed.- chris

ps im not kncking or having a go. Its just i can't see how 2 wrongs (us and them) could ever make it right.... sort of like let he who is without fault cast the first stone, sort of thinking
    ... ptui!

..my bad, sorry.

<small>[ 18 October 2003, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: CHRI'S16 ]</small>
    ... ptui!

Sorry Ray, I didnt mean to forget you, quite the opposite. I am well aware of your vast experience in journalism, however I know Alan S LOVES getting stuck into people/institutions like this. I would think though that there was some unwritten rule governing the extent to which one can comment in joe-average write-ins like Hot-4's.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

I don't buy Hot4 or any of the similar magazines. I have a few copies, because i had a good friend who was a newsagent owner, and he gave me back issues sometimes. I get sick of "Sik" Lancers with $20,000 stereos and $10,000 body kits. I sometimes get the occaisional Hotrod mag, not because I am a Rod freak, but because some of these cars are works of art. I respect that.

There are stupid people who disregard Froggies with no knowledge of them. That worked great for Dad when he had his hot 403, and when my grandfather had a standard looking 404 with a full race motor in it. Hot V8 drivers would laugh at the suggestion of a drag, but they were not happy when they lost.
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

XTC
    The problem for the Lancer set is the jump from the highest model avail and the Evo is over $50K ... so for 30K they can buy a base model @ 20K put an Evo kit on it ... some rice lights, big bore exhaust, and it's cost 30K - and they feel BIG. The real give away is the lack of rear diff (not to mention the lack of poke, especially though the corners). It's not just Lancers - see last post page 1 .. <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001559" target="_blank">http://www.aussiefrogs.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=001559</a>

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Point taken ^_^ sorry, just venting my spleen.
    Y^O^Y Banzai

XTC
    purplepugWA:
    Point taken ^_^ sorry, just venting my spleen.
    No worries ... a large proportion here know what you mean. It's like seeing a fake Cristal Champagne label on a bottle of Passion Pop disappro .. it's just not right ! - nor is the Collingwood football team in drag, hang-on didn't that happen? - or are they just fairies on the field. whistle

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

.hmmm....what pisses me off is that a lot of these ricers actually think they know what they r talking about....they criticise the french cars without knowing a clue about them....whereas many of us have already driven the vn commodores the lousy excels and lancers....WE KNOW THESE CARS ARE CRAP...."they", on the other hand havent (majority anyway)experianced the french flavour so they commentate, discriminate and criticise on stupid assumptions.....this is probably the reason why so many lancer and excel boys/gals think they can actually outhandle a 205gti, s 16, etc etc(total ignorance)...what a bunch of toss4ers....if u r going to race: "know thy enemy"....
    at the end of the day some of thse people might only ever end up owning or driving 3 or 4 cars in their whole life...and when they turn 50 in 2030 they ll reminisce on how SWEET that auto lancer (coupe)was...yes those were the days of true automotive engineering....SOME PEOPLE WILL NEVER CHANGE.....

read the mags,,...enjoy the pics and respect some of the work our youth is capable of....but for @#k$ sake dont take it 2 seriously....

cheers
    dino

Fellow Frogger!

hey guys, didnt you like my car in there?

they took heaps of pictures of my in a red g-string, im so pissed they didnt make it to print though!!!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Peugeot 306, garrett GT25 turbo, 3" exhaust, microtech LT8 ECU, 16.7 psi, front mount cooler, Chris Milton race port&polish w/ 3 angle cut valves and redesigned combustion chamber, 186hp atw for now... injectors ran out of puff
    NOS COMING SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by turbopeugeot306
    hey guys, didnt you like my car in there?

they took heaps of pictures of my in a red g-string, im so pissed they didnt make it to print though!!!

elaborate on this

Thread Information