Big Pond Email Delays
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Big Pond Email Delays

I know we have quite a few Telstra Big Con users here. With the latest email sagas, what are the longest delays you've had?

Advertisement

I've sent some emails between my own Big Pond accounts and it seems they were just lost in the "Big Pond". Some people have sent me emails which too were lost in the "Big Pond".

An email sent to me on the 13th was received on the 16th, 74:03 later.

I'd hate to be using Big Pond email for business at the moment.

Wonder what credits they will give people this month. They are asking people to seek compensation via customer service (gee, I'd hate to work there at the moment), rather than starting class actions. See <a href="http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s969125.htm" target="_blank">here</a>.

I can't claim to be an IT expert, but why is it taking so long to fix? The saga has been going on for over a week now. I don't buy the excuse that this has all happened because of a virus attack (that's the latest excuse given in the ABC report above).

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    I'd hate to be using Big Pond email for business at the moment.
    My work uses Bigpond ADSL. This whole email issue has been a complete pain. Some emails take ages to get through or don't get through at all, and others go through straight away. At times we have had to resort to use hotmail addresses or staff's private email addresses to get email sent or received.

I can't claim to be an IT expert, but why is it taking so long to fix? The saga has been going on for over a week now. I don't buy the excuse that this has all happened because of a virus attack (that's the latest excuse given in the ABC report above).
    I'd put it down either to incompetence or Telstra not giving a stuff. Either way hopefully it won't matter to us soon, as we will hopefully be going to another ISP which is more reliable and cheaper.

Troy.

I think it's all blown up a bit too much for Telstra to not give a stuff!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I havent bothered using it for nearly two weeks, luckily yahoo's saved me.

What sh1ts me more is that all my saved emails (14meg, webmail) have been lost....

Whilst we're in a lets bag Telstra mood

<a href="http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000048590,20279766,00.htm" target="_blank">Telstra restores Web pages, wrestles with e-mail</a>

No wonder I was getting email complaining my site was down.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Pug307:
    I think it's all blown up a bit too much for Telstra to not give a stuff!
    No you're right. It's just that at times I wonder with the quality of their customer service whether they give a stuff at all about their customers.

Regardless it has been a big balls up by Telstra. I agree that they are using the virus attack as an excuse.

Troy.

Funny how all the other ISPs don't seem to be having any virus attack sagas either.

<a href="http://afr.com/articles/2003/10/15/1065917473909.html" target="_blank">Telstra irks rivals with tales of woe</a>

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

My mails all come through straight away...

Telstra have really lost the plot.

rek
    I ordered some cycling stuff from the UK late last week, and I still haven't got the confirmation email of my order.

I expect the goods to arrive at my door before the email does. snail

I've been looking at buying my own domain name, so I can get it hosted by some place and take control of my own email (I use it a lot.) That way if I am unhappy with email service anywhere (or they go bust), I can just switch host providers and keep my original mail address.
    Peter
    2008 Saab 9-3 1.9 TiD Sportcombi
    2011 Volvo C30 DRIVe 1.6D

Update.

Telstra is to give customers a two week credit on their accounts. It'll cost the firm $25M.

In addition, customers will receive three months free use of spam filters and firewalls.

<a href="http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,7587362%255E15306,00.html" target="_blank">Email forces $25m Telstra credit</a>.

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

I would appieciate it if members would not try to sell there internet services unless they are prepared to host Aussie Frogs Gratis as we do. We have very competitive hosting. Buying web space offshore does wonders for the economy and data really does cost more than $6/GB in fact my cost is $30/GB, that can only mean that they do not intend to give it to you (read slow) or they will go broke, figure it out yourself. All ADSL pricing at present is skewed because everyone is scrambing for market share.
    Mark McKibbin

I heard Telstra are not compensating small business in Australia for the issues that they are facing.
    And privatisation is on the cards?????(i dont think so) whistle

nJm
    Gee I'm glad we got out of Tel$tra Bogswamp a few months ago. I had their cable for about 2 years and it frequently had problems, either drop outs, email problems or miscalculating usage.

I must admit though that Optus cable (what I'm on now) is far from perfect. Their email server has been going off on occaision this week but nothing bad like Telstra. I still think their capped speed after the 3gb allowance is a bit unfair though. If it was as slow as an actual dialup modem I wouldn't mind.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

When it comes to being unhappy with an ISP, the deal my stepsons have with iPrimus for ADSL takes the cake.

It's $75 a month with a 2gb download max, then 20c a meg or something... one bill was $480!

And it's signed up for a year without possibility of a change... total ripoff.

Needless to say they're currently going to another ISP.

1000+ Posts
    nJm:
    I must admit though that Optus cable (what I'm on now) is far from perfect. Their email server has been going off on occaision this week but nothing bad like Telstra. I still think their capped speed after the 3gb allowance is a bit unfair though. If it was as slow as an actual dialup modem I wouldn't mind.
    Yep...contrary to what's being suggested, Optus and iiNet have also had problems over the last while. Telstra certainly are arrogant, though. When I was told I couldn't avail of DSL because of the pair gained lines (the exchange is OK) I asked what the likely time frame for upgrade was. There wasn't one. They have no firm intention of doing anything. Bear in mind I only live 25km from the CBD in a new and heavily populated area.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

XTC
    markm:
    I would appieciate it if members would not try to sell there internet services unless they are prepared to host Aussie Frogs Gratis as we do.
    Fair enough .... perhaps we should be reminded more often of the stirling oppportunity we ALL have cause of this free hosting !

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Stuey:
    Yep...contrary to what's being suggested, Optus and iiNet have also had problems over the last while. Telstra certainly are arrogant, though. When I was told I couldn't avail of DSL because of the pair gained lines (the exchange is OK) I asked what the likely time frame for upgrade was. There wasn't one. They have no firm intention of doing anything. Bear in mind I only live 25km from the CBD in a new and heavily populated area.
    Same problem here. I was told I could not get ADSL because of pair gain. The exchange is ADSL enabled, and I have friends in neighbouring suburbs running off the same exchange that do have ADSL. I leave less than 10km from the CBD. What really annoys me is that it seems that we where not on pair gain 3-4 years ago. Back then I could get 40k+ connect speeds on a 56k modem. Now I am stuck on 28.8k.

Troy.

XTC
    TroyO:
    I leave less than 10km from the CBD. What really annoys me is that it seems that we where not on pair gain 3-4 years ago. Back then I could get 40k+ connect speeds on a 56k modem. Now I am stuck on 28.8k. Troy.
    Poor Telstra planning. It's happening in the outer suburbs cause of the expansion of new houses, and the inner ones cause of the increased density of appartments, duplexes and triplexes -

I'm only 5kms approx from town and can't get ADSL - at least I still get 50-52k connections. 28.8 would just drive me CRAZY cry

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

XTC206:
    Poor Telstra planning. It's happening in the outer suburbs cause of the expansion of new houses, and the inner ones cause of the increased density of appartments, duplexes and triplexes -

I'm only 5kms approx from town and can't get ADSL - at least I still get 50-52k connections. 28.8 would just drive me CRAZY cry

- XTC206 -
    Yeah, we are getting lots of subdividing of existing blocks in our area increasing housing density. The blocks are nice and big.

The slow connection speed has already driven me crazy. mallet Just as well I have ADSL at work.

Troy.

<small>[ 20 October 2003, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: TroyO ]</small>

1000+ Posts
    Yep...I get absolutely consistent 31.2Kbps speeds...nothing alters it.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

XTC
    Stuey:
    Yep...I get absolutely consistent 31.2Kbps speeds...nothing alters it.
    And as Telstra only guarantees 11Kbps (voice) all problems with data they don't consider a problem ... there maybe some poor customer out there who can only get 11Kbps connections ... dead

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Am using Bigpond and the freebie Mailwasher at the mo. Am regularly getting the same spam appear 3 or 4 times a day in Mailwasher, and today came across one that was dated mid August and a couple that were over a week old.
    Think I might have to investigate alternatives.
    Bruce H

Now 99 Xantia SX x2; 96 Xantia SX; 76 GS Club Estate x2; 76 GS Club; 74 GS Club; 88 VW T3 Reimo
    Before: AX Gti; BX 19TRi Estate; CX 2200 Super & Pallas; CX2400 Pallas; CX 2400ie Prestige auto; DS3 DStyle; GS Pallas; GSA Club; Xantia Image Estate; Xantia Exclusive; Xsara VTR R4; 1.4 Special Estate; Virage; R16TS

Contact for the Australian Citroen GS GSA and Birotor Register http://australiancitroengsgsaandbiro...com/index.html

markm:
    I would appieciate it if members would not try to sell there internet services unless they are prepared to host Aussie Frogs Gratis as we do. We have very competitive hosting. Buying web space offshore does wonders for the economy and data really does cost more than $6/GB in fact my cost is $30/GB, that can only mean that they do not intend to give it to you (read slow) or they will go broke, figure it out yourself. All ADSL pricing at present is skewed because everyone is scrambing for market share.
    DCSI host aussiefrogs at no charge so it should go without saying that it is unfair to openly offer, & probably also compare other ISP's on this forum.
    It may not be widely known but DCSI offer national dial up, satellite, ADSL (I currently use) & wireless.

The privacy statement has incorporated new wording to reflect this courtesy.

Some postings were removed from this thread earlier in the week.
    cheers!

Here is the privacy statement which appears as a link at the bottom of the page & when registering or <a href="http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.html" target="_blank">here</a>

Considering the real-time nature of this bulletin board, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we at aussiefrogs.com do not actively monitor the contents of Froggy Forum! and are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this Bulletin Board or any entity associated with this Bulletin Board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this Bulletin Board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Politics, Religion & current World affairs must be abstained from any posts due to the inflammatory nature of such discussions because of their potential to inadvertantly create ill feelings between members.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this Bulletin Board.

As a courtesy to the host of aussiefrogs (DCSI) it is requested that advertising of other service providors is not encouraged on these forums. We would also suggest that anyone requiring a quote from any ISP do this via PM or e-mail but also as a show of good faith, also contact our hosts to ascertain their ability to supply this service in recognition of their generosity to aussiefrogs.

Although this Bulletin Board does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at this Bulletin Board reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this BB, Madrona Park, Inc. (the makers of the bulletin board software), and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

We at this Bulletin Board also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this Bulletin Board.

XTC
    The Bigpond fiasco has caused me to be dropped of some mailing lists .... seems the delays get picked up as undeliverable email. ... PITA Telstra.

- XTC206-

Now this is a .sig

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information