Importing a car from the U.K? What kind of costs are involved?
  • Register
  • Help

Importing a car from the U.K? What kind of costs are involved?

I'd definatly be interested in some of those wonderful french cars those english get in RHD form that we don't.

I was wondering what kind of import duties, shipping costs etc would be involved. Obviously the car would have to be registered here. Would that even be possible?

I've a few relatives in the UK that could help me buy a car privately if that would help things.

Advertisement

The cars I'd be interested in would be 1990+ most likely.

Cheers.

XTC
    Elky:
    I'd definatly be interested in some of those wonderful french cars those english get in RHD form that we don't.

I was wondering what kind of import duties, shipping costs etc would be involved. Obviously the car would have to be registered here. Would that even be possible?

I've a few relatives in the UK that could help me buy a car privately if that would help things.

The cars I'd be interested in would be 1990+ most likely.

Cheers.
    In one word ... Excessive.

Cars 15YO or greater get a big break in duties ... other then that you'll pay through the nose. (blood nose) disappro

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Elky

See here for a (short ) explanation of the mind boggling red tape involved in a personal import .

<a href="http://www.carizma.com.au/Import%20Info/Regulations.htm" target="_blank">Car Import Regulations Explained</a>

It refers mainly to Jap imports, but the rules are the same.

What it doesn't say is that to get a compliance plate a car must comply with the ADRs for the year it was manufactured - that can be the real killer.

Over 15 years old is simpler, and over 30YO is comparatively simple - even LHD is now allowed.

There are also extra taxes involved if the car is worth more than $45K total landed value.

That said I have seen a few private imports recently, but they were all owned in the UK for a while (and used there) and the people who imported them knew what they were doing with cars - I supect they could do most of the work required themselves.

The other thing to remember is that even comparativeley new cars in the UK have rusty bits we would not ever encounter here unless you you washed the car in seawater every week!.

Paul
    Paul Smith

1974 DS23 EFI BW Auto
    1974 G Special 1220

http://www.simplicitas.com.au

It's a big pain in the arse! Another thing to watch out for is that the duty is on the AUSTRALIAN market value of the car. In other words, if you import a 2CV which you buy in the UK for $A2,000 you might be charged on the duty for $10,000, ans they are much cheaper over there.
    Government rules sux cry
    Pugs Rule!

403, now sold
    404, project
    2010 Mitsubishi i MiEV electric car

Thread Information