Car transporters
  • Register
  • Help

Car transporters

I've just heard that my stricken automobile is to brought home on a trailers behind a largish truck, and not on a proper semi trailer transporter. I am a bit worried because I know how many stones trucks throw up on that road and I am wondering what the front of the car will look like on its arrival....
    Does anyone have experience with long distance carting of cars, and if you reckon I should be worried?

Advertisement
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

UFO
    They do a condition report before loading the car indicating any existing damage. If someone in WA can take pics for you beforehand they could be a good reference point.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

When I sold my WRX and it went Perth to Sydney we used TNT. It went on a covered truck and arrived in perfect condition.

I wouldn't be that comfortable with it on an open truck unless they're going to cover it with something?

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

Fellow Frogger!
    Just curious how much did TNT charge for the transport between Perth and Sydney

I never feel easy about a lot of the car carriers. I've got one now that we use for one day hops but only in Queensland and he's OK but before we found him it was always high drama. If a car is not going, they treat it like it's off to the metal recyclers and often don't insure them, and if it is & it's a bit unusal/high performance you can have happen as did to friends of ours who had a car leave Sydney with "XX" miles on the speedo, take a week to get here & arrive with a thousand more than it left there on the clock and the underside covered in dust & mud from some high speed "energetic" driving. cry
    I'd be asking a price off the railways if it were me.
    The thing you have to watch is you don't spend twice the price of the car just getting it home.

Alan S 2_cents
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

I wouldn't worry about it unless the car turns up damaged. Up close behind a truck is pretty safe, generally, unless it's going on gravel roads.

Where is the trip from and to?

Found out the car is going on a big B Double transporter, and because it is being picked up "on the way" to Melbourne, it will be at the back on the bottom, so it should avoid being hit by any road debris. But I am a little worried about how they will treat what they will no doubt view as an old and worthless peice of eurotrash. Cost is not an issue though, as the RACV is pcking up the bill wink
    They will be able to drive it on and off, so hopefully that will avoid careless use of winches.
    The car is coming from Coolgardie in WA (where the auto gave up) to Ballarat, Victoria.

<small>[ 14 October 2003, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Haakon ]</small>

Haakon,

If that's the case, I'd be referring to it when talking to these car carrier guys as a "Collectors Car" or a "Special limited Edition" and terms like that just to keep them a bit nervy.
    The reason I do this was when I got my father - in - laws CX brought up here (2 owners and 130,000 klms) after it had been in a small front ender (damagewise) and even though it was drive on drive off, they managed to run it backend into a wall & smash the assend in, then run it off the truck, after they'd wound the battery flat for some strange reason whereupon they found it had no brakes as the motor wasn't going and "T" boned a wank tank parked in the yard they offloaded at, then in the process of winching it back on snapped a tie rod so both wheels were looking outwards when it got here & when I rang the depot they simply said "stiff!! it was only a #$%^&* old wreck anyhow, and we don't insure our cars under about $20,000, the owner takes the risk on us doing damage and if it was damaged before we picked it up, there's nobody going to believe that we did any more." deal mallet
    After that, everything I get transported is something very special regardless of condition & it's amazing the difference it makes. dance

Alan S cheers!

Good advice Alan, I will definantly ring them again to let them know it is very RARE (which it kinda is) and any damage will cost their insurance big time due to having to import anything from France wink .
    I also have the RAC bloke in Coolgardie (who has it in his backyard at the moment) on my side and he said he would oversee the loading to make sure they arent silly about it.

Oops, the transporter upon being told by me to be careful as its a rare car have promptly told the RACV that they want another $400 for shipping!! eek! I appeased the RACV by saying I only said that to ensure the transporters are careful which they seemed happy with, but the cheek of the trucking company! They sense opportunities to charge more like sharks sense blood!

Haakon:
    Oops, the transporter upon being told by me to be careful as its a rare car have promptly told the RACV that they want another $400 for shipping!! eek! I appeased the RACV by saying I only said that to ensure the transporters are careful which they seemed happy with, but the cheek of the trucking company! They sense opportunities to charge more like sharks sense blood!
    Rest assured that the message has gone out though; "be bloody careful with this thing 'coz he reckons it's a special one; ya can imagine how he's gunna perform if ya scratch it" eek! eek!

Keep 'em guessin' whistle

Alan S wink :p

I'm not going to see my car until the 26th at the earlyist, goddamn it . Ah well, its still better then me having to pay for the shipping, but annoying nontheless as its got half my stuff in it!! Just leaves me with time to ponder what is going to be a mammoth task to remove 2 gearboxs and install one...

XTC
    Haakon:
    but annoying nontheless as its got half my stuff in it!!
    That's what you think .... Spare tyres and jacks have been known to gi missing during transport ...

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

I know, I know. I'm a little bit stressed about it Its not only the jack, its my Sidchrome tool set, my Warren & Brown torque wrench, about 40 CD's, my stereo, half my clothes etc etc. I wish I could have locked the boot seperatly. Had no choice though - there is no way I could have carried it all on the train, taxis, plane etc. Fingers crossed....

Still another ten days till it lobs? You're kidding!

Is it still waiting to be loaded in beautiful downtown Coolgardie?

XTC
    Ray Bell:
    I hope that is tongue in cheek ... cause "beautiful" "downtown" & "Coolgardie" are three words not often used together ... whistle

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

XTC206:
    Ray Bell:
    I hope that is tongue in cheek ... cause "beautiful" "downtown" & "Coolgardie" are three words not often used together ... whistle

- XTC206 -
    I concur - I had to kill a thursday evening there, and local pub is not the classiest establishment I've been to...... whistle
    The 23rd is the day its been picked up apparently (next available transportrer on its way to Melbourne or something), and in the meantime the (very nice) RAC bloke in Coolgardie has it stashed in his backyard where it is no doubt roasting in the sun frown

Thread Information